Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need help identifying a caliper
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Randal
This caliper is now mounted on 222. Was this a front 914 caliper mounted that got mounted on the back or something else?

Eric identified this before, but I can't find the posting....

All help appreciated.

Click to view attachment
wndsrfr
QUOTE(Randal @ Mar 18 2015, 02:15 PM) *

This caliper is now mounted on 222. Was this a front 914 caliper mounted that got mounted on the back or something else?

All help appreciated.

Stick a magnet on it.....iron or aluminum??
bdstone914
Looks like a 911 rear caliper for a vented rotor based on the spacers between the caliper halves. The pistons will be more extended using a vented caliper on a non vented rotor. You should probably get the correct pin and ditch the hitch pin in it.
Randal
QUOTE(wndsrfr @ Mar 18 2015, 05:59 PM) *

QUOTE(Randal @ Mar 18 2015, 02:15 PM) *

All help appreciated.

Stick a magnet on it.....iron or aluminum??

So 914 calipers are steel and 911 aluminum?
Randal
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Mar 19 2015, 04:15 AM) *

Looks like a 911 rear caliper for a vented rotor based on the spacers between the caliper halves. The pistons will be more extended using a vented caliper on a non vented rotor. You should probably get the correct pin and ditch the hitch pin in it.

Thanks.
Dave_Darling
914 calipers are all steel. They have 3" mounting bolt spacing.
911 "M" calipers (stock 914-6, early 911) are steel. 3" mounting bolt spacing.
911 "A" calipers (911SC and on for a while) are steel. 3.5" mounting bolt spacing.
911 "S" calipers (most 911S models, some other early 911s, early SC) are aluminum. 3.5" mounting bolt spacing.

The S calipers, IIRC, have a crossover tube which I don't see in this picture.

I am not seeing the spacer that Bruce is. I believe I'm seeing a ridge in the casting above the brake pad housing, but I do not see a corresponding one in the lower section. That makes me think it's not a spacer. A caliper designed for vented rotors should have at least 1/4" of clearance between new thick brake pads and the edge of the caliper on each side. If you have less than that, it's not a vented-rotor caliper.

It used to be relatively popular to move the stock 914 front calipers to the rear when the fronts were upgraded. So that's going to be my guess, though it is a guess. Hopefully Erc chimes in soon; he is the expert.

--DD
AndrewBlyholder
Fronts and rears are both steel, checked with a magnet last night.

Fronts and rears are both 3" mounting bolt spacing.

The rear has no spacer. The ridges seen in the photo are just casting marks.

The fronts have a +/- 1/4" spacer and have a vented rotor.

Didn't take the pads out to compare them front to rear, but they measure the same height and the swept area on the rotors measures the same width, so I think the pads are the same size.

All the above makes me think I have 911 Type M calipers front and rear, with the fronts just being a two piece casting with a spacer for the vented rotor.

Comments?

Andrew Blyholder
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.