Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Remove the seam sealer in the floor pans?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
stevegm
I am cleaning up the floor pans. Wire wheeling them to bare metal. Then Ospho and epoxy. A couple questions:

1. Is it advisable to take the seam sealer out from around the round metal plugs in the pans? What about around the edges of the pans? I would like to remove it all. But, I don't want to create an opportunity for rust. The car is rust-free, and they are original pans.

2. When others have done this, do they strip the longs too, and ospho, paint them too? Or do they typically stop at the edge of the pans?

3. I am going to use epoxy primer on the pans, then paint them body color. This may be a stupid question but, I have the Deltron basecoat and clear coat left over from having the car painted. Can I use just the basecoat paint. and not clear coat the inside of the pans? Is the base coat a good enough sealer (so to speak)? Or does it need the clear coat to fully seal?
Cairo94507
Personally, if you are going that far, I would remove it all to make sure there is no rust hiding under the seam sealer.
Kargeek
QUOTE(stevegm @ Mar 18 2015, 03:31 PM) *

I am cleaning up the floor pans. Wire wheeling them to bare metal. Then Ospho and epoxy. A couple questions:

1. Is it advisable to take the seam sealer out from around the round metal plugs in the pans? What about around the edges of the pans? I would like to remove it all. But, I don't want to create an opportunity for rust. The car is rust-free, and they are original pans.

2. When others have done this, do they strip the longs too, and ospho, paint them too? Or do they typically stop at the edge of the pans?

3. I am going to use epoxy primer on the pans, then paint them body color. This may be a stupid question but, I have the Deltron basecoat and clear coat left over from having the car painted. Can I use just the basecoat paint. and not clear coat the inside of the pans? Is the base coat a good enough sealer (so to speak)? Or does it need the clear coat to fully seal?

The seam sealer is there for a reason, clean it out and reseal it with new seam sealer, Wurth makes a brush on seam sealer. I would talk to your paint supplier as I don't believe the base coat has the same durability as it being top coated.

If you were to have your car down to bare metal - floors and longs included, you would prime, seam seal and coat with your protective coatings so what you do with taking any part down to bare metal means you have to put that protection back in place.
stevegm
QUOTE(Kargeek @ Mar 18 2015, 07:38 PM) *

QUOTE(stevegm @ Mar 18 2015, 03:31 PM) *

The seam sealer is there for a reason, clean it out and reseal it with new seam sealer, Wurth makes a brush on seam sealer. I would talk to your paint supplier as I don't believe the base coat has the same durability as it being top coated.

If you were to have your car down to bare metal - floors and longs included, you would prime, seam seal and coat with your protective coatings so what you do with taking any part down to bare metal means you have to put that protection back in place.

Thanks. I wasn't sure since you can't get all of the seam sealer out of the left round plug without taking the plug completely out (the seam sealer appears to have been put in there, and then it was screwed on, over the seam sealer). I am hesitant to unscrew the plug. If it doesn't go back on right, it could cause leaks, etc.
76-914
Ill bet there is some surface rust under those plugs but I can't get them out w/o beating the crap out of them and distorting surrounding areas so I'd leave 'em in place. beerchug.gif
mepstein
Rust free? I would leave it in place. There will be traces of rust between many of the spot welded seems that you will never be able to remove. Not really a big deal. Paint it up and enjoy the ride.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.