Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Frustrating amp wiring of death!!!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gobstopper
Im curently wiring up an amplifier for the stereo in my car. Ive already fed the power wire from the front trunk to the passenger compartment.

But now I can't find the grommet that leads from the passenger compartment to the engine compartment, could someone give me a general idea of where to look. Thanks
xsboost90
1/2" drill and a trip to autozone should take care of that.
r_towle
in the tunnel, there should be an access panel on top of the rear part of the tunnel.

Rich
ejm
The factory harness is somewhat hard to follow from the cabin to the engine compartment. It's inside a rubber boot and makes a couple of tight bends. I would route the cable inside along the passenger side long and enter the engine compartment on top of the long, just below the battery. Put a fuse right at the battery to avoid excitement if your wiring shorts out.
Gobstopper
Thanks ejm
Hammy
So does mounting an amp in the front trunk require a personal custom job instead of taking it to a car stereo shop for the install? They probably won't know what to do I assume.
Gobstopper
I never have trusted car stereo shops. I used to have them install my cd decks, but both times ive had to fix wiring problems.
The 914 was easy to install my deck in, since I could just pull the wiring down from in the dash.

My other car (81 mustang-beater ready for the junkyard) was easy to install an amp in, but the 914 is a pain. I havent figured out how I want to mount the amp yet, since Im dont want to drill holes anywhere
TheCabinetmaker
I ran my power wire down the passenger long to the front trunk using the holes provided by the AC unit I ripped out. Amp and CD changer are both mounted to the bulkhead in front of the fuel tank. wiring to the cockpit from there was easy. I too would never take any car to a stereo shop.
ejm
I havent figured out how I want to mount the amp yet, since Im dont want to drill holes anywhere

Amp and CD changer are both mounted to the bulkhead in front of the fuel tank.

Bulkhead is the usual mounting place...Don't drill into the fuel tank!! Small holes in the fuzzy carpet aren't too noticeable if you remove the amp later. Also, the ground wire for the amp carries as much current as the power lead. It needs to go to a good ground point, not under one of the amps mounting screws.
DJsRepS
I mounted my FI brain in the rear trunk and just sitting in the hot FL sun in a sealed trunk I could not even touch the thing. It was a 100% cooler leaving it in the motor bay where the German's stuck it. Im not saying to mount your amp there but it would keep it alot cooler and the 12v batt supply is right there. I would mount it near or under the glove box.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.