Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Windshield
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
80cap
How does one remove the front and rear glass?
Thanks Brian
bulitt
The front comes out after removing the windshield chrome trim.
Easiest way is to to take a safety razor blade and push in
severing the clips that hold the trim. The trim is very thin and bends easy.
Purchase replacement clips before hand-they are cheap.

IPB Image

The windshield is stuck on with butyl. Once you get the trim off you will need to
push the windshield out from the inside - Gently-. They are fragile. You will need
to work around the edges- warming the butyl sometimes helps. Do it in hot sun.

If the windshield breaks they are readily available new for @195$

Don't recall how the rear glass comes out. It also has butyl around the edges and comes out from the inside of the car (pushing from rear forward). Think it has trim but can't remember. Most simply fall out, the butyl is so old....
somd914
No trim on the rear. Mine was starting leak, so while replacing seatbelts I removed the rear glass and installed new butyl tape. I had the back pad out for the belt replacement, but I believe you can manage to do it with it in. Having the seats out will give you more room to work.

I used a heat gun and heated the butyl sealant, then using gentle pressure on the edges and a putty knife from outside, I was able to push it out - have a second person inside to help. Piece of cake,

I paid a guy to do the windshield after a rock hit. Once the trim was off he used a sawzall fitted with a putty knife - had the windshield out in less than a minute and didn't crack it.

76-914
I took one out with a hammer, once. Never again. headbang.gif
griffindoug
QUOTE(bulitt @ Mar 20 2015, 03:20 PM) *

The front comes out after removing the windshield chrome trim.
Easiest way is to to take a safety razor blade and push in
severing the clips that hold the trim. The trim is very thin and bends easy.
Purchase replacement clips before hand-they are cheap.

IPB Image

The windshield is stuck on with butyl. Once you get the trim off you will need to
push the windshield out from the inside - Gently-. They are fragile. You will need
to work around the edges- warming the butyl sometimes helps. Do it in hot sun.

If the windshield breaks they are readily available new for @195$

Don't recall how the rear glass comes out. It also has butyl around the edges and comes out from the inside of the car (pushing from rear forward). Think it has trim but can't remember. Most simply fall out, the butyl is so old....

Where can you find the glass for 195? Please let me know as I need a new windshield and can't drive it till I get one. Or I guess u could just get some goggles.
76-914
ProSource Glass. They have an ad in out vendor forum.
bulitt
Here is your source....

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...227989&st=0
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.