Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear Strut Parts Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BeatNavy
I'm replacing the KYB rear shocks on my '72. Two weeks ago I got one off only to realize (doh! headbang.gif ) the spring perch is integrated on to the KYB but not on the new Sachs Boge I purchased. Picked up a couple of pieces from Bruce, and I think I'm good to go, but I want to make sure before I have another "'Doh!' moment."

Do the parts laid out below look complete and in the right order (minus the spring)? The PET is not completely clear (at least to me). Sorry for the dark picture.
Click to view attachment

Also, I want to confirm there's nothing supposed to hold up the spring perch/reatiner on the shock other than those "ears" or "outdents" on the strut itself that seem to marry up to the perch. Is that right?
Click to view attachment
mepstein
Looks the same as my car and yes, just the ears hold the shock perch. You will probably be able to assemble without a spring compressor.
BeatNavy
Awesome, thanks Mark. I did get a loner a spring compressor (the outer, Macpherson style). I got the other style when I attempted this a few weeks ago.

Hope your front suspension refurb went, or is going, well smile.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Mar 21 2015, 11:44 AM) *

Awesome, thanks Mark. I did get a loner a spring compressor (the outer, Macpherson style). I got the other style when I attempted this a few weeks ago.

Hope your front suspension refurb went, or is going, well smile.gif

No action yet. sad.gif hopefully before hershey.
914_teener
A few things to think about. I did this a couple of years ago.

There are drain holes in the perches. They should be positioned on the trans side so water will drain out.

The perches themselves bottom out on those bumps as you probably can intuitively tell.

I didn't need a compressor. I assembled the top assembly with the spring and used a floor jack to position the control arm.

It was pretty easy and straight forward.
BeatNavy
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 21 2015, 12:27 PM) *

No action yet. sad.gif hopefully before hershey.

Changing out those shocks was a nice improvement. It went pretty smoothly and the car does feel better, especially around these torn up streets piratenanner.gif

May have to schedule the front end like you're doing, too. Too many projects...

QUOTE(914_teener @ Mar 21 2015, 12:34 PM) *

There are drain holes in the perches. They should be positioned on the trans side so water will drain out.

Good point. I'm not sure I would have caught that. Thanks.
mepstein
What shocks do you have up front?
BeatNavy
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 21 2015, 05:03 PM) *

What shocks do you have up front?

I don't know, and I'm not even sure how to check, short of pulling them out of the strut. Most likely whatever was stock in '72. Is there something I can look for?
bdstone914
You probably have Boge unless someone upgraded them. You have to pull the insert to tell what you have.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.