Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WTB: A tasteful and correct 914/6 conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WANTED: 914 Cars and Rollers
tumamilhem
I'd like to have a tasteful, complete and done correctly /6 conversion for a 2nd 914. Being true to my LE and its originality, I can't do anything to it but keep it bone stock. Plus, I shouldn't be driving it so much (regularly) because of its rarity. So I'd like to have more of a regular and reliable driver, something I can have fun with and modify to my tastes (not modernize, but tasteful and period-correct upgrades) with more power. Some things I'd like to have/do to the car (not necessary, just some ideas):

Flares
5 petal Fuchs
Exposed bonnet gas filler
GT replica bucket seats or seats with plaid cloth inserts
bcheney
QUOTE(tumamilhem @ Mar 21 2015, 11:21 AM) *

I'd like to have a tasteful, complete and done correctly /6 conversion for a 2nd 914. Being true to my LE and its originality, I can't do anything to it but keep it bone stock. Plus, I shouldn't be driving it so much (regularly) because of its rarity. So I'd like to have more of a regular and reliable driver, something I can have fun with and modify to my tastes (not modernize, but tasteful and period-correct upgrades) with more power. Some things I'd like to have/do to the car (not necessary, just some ideas):

Flares
5 petal Fuchs

This one certainly looks tasteful and well done...

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=251808
gereed75
Tommy, Did you see this?? Right up your alley http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-914-GT-/251888027043
bcheney
QUOTE(gereed75 @ Mar 24 2015, 08:31 AM) *

Tommy, Did you see this?? Right up your alley http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-914-GT-/251888027043

Both of these look pretty darn nice...The seats in the red one are really cool and many good parts have been used in the conversion. The only thing I don't like about the red one is that the transaxle needs work and the engine mount is a quick 6 type vs. a RJ or Patrick mount. If you have mechanical inclination/wherewithall then either of these things can be changed when you drop the engine. If you dont have the talent and tools then dropping the engine, separating the transaxle, addressing the sychro issue alone will set you back quite a few bucks with a professsional. A newer style mount can be purchased for under $500 and can be welded in for another $100-200. Changing the mount might require a change to your oil line running from the engine back to the tank. So, if you keep all this in mind when factoring in (dollar spend) you could come out with a nice car. Also keep in mind, glass flares can be nice if they were installed well. However, most are not and over time will develop cracks where they join to the metal body. Good luck with your search.
bcheney

Both of these look pretty darn nice...The seats in the flared one are really cool and many good parts have been used in the conversion. The rear shocks a really nice along with the BBS wheels. The only thing I don't like about the flared one is that the transaxle needs work and the engine mount is a quick 6 type vs. a RJ or Patrick mount. If you have mechanical inclination/wherewithall then either of these things can be changed when you drop the engine. If you dont have the talent and tools then dropping the engine, separating the transaxle, addressing the sychro issue alone will set you back quite a few bucks with a professsional. A newer style mount can be purchased for under $500 and can be welded in for another $100-200. Changing the mount might require a change to your oil line running from the engine back to the tank. So, if you keep all this in mind when factoring in (dollar spend) you could come out with a nice car. Also keep in mind, glass flares can be nice if they were installed well. However, most are not and over time will develop cracks where they join to the metal body. If you are looking to have a true GT tribute car the flares on the red car are a bit oversized compared to factory or repro GT flares so this may not be in line with your end goal. Personally, I like the non flared car because it's more orignal looking. Really the only knock have with that car is that the brake proportioning valve has been removed..Eric Shea and others will tell you that is not a safe way to go. Good luck with your search.
matthepcat
I can only find tasteless and incorrect conversions like mine.
tumamilhem
QUOTE(bcheney @ Mar 23 2015, 09:54 PM) *

QUOTE(tumamilhem @ Mar 21 2015, 11:21 AM) *

Flares
5 petal Fuchs

This one certainly looks tasteful and well done...

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=251808

Looks good. Would like flares but I really like the 5 petal Fuchs with the narrow body. Not a fan of raspberry though. Too pinkish for me. If the color was right and for that price, it's be a definite consideration. But the cost of a good paint job on top of it would be more than what I could spend on one already to my taste. Thanks for the suggestion! This one looks like a good car for the right person.
tumamilhem

Yeah, I had checked this one out a while ago. A bit too customized with those huge custom flares, spoiler and customized interior. I had considered it, but would be too much money to change back for that price. Thank you for looking out though! beerchug.gif
tumamilhem
QUOTE(bcheney @ Mar 24 2015, 09:00 AM) *

Both of these look pretty darn nice...The seats in the red one are really cool and many good parts have been used in the conversion. The only thing I don't like about the red one is that the transaxle needs work and the engine mount is a quick 6 type vs. a RJ or Patrick mount. If you have mechanical inclination/wherewithall then either of these things can be changed when you drop the engine. If you dont have the talent and tools then dropping the engine, separating the transaxle, addressing the sychro issue alone will set you back quite a few bucks with a professsional. A newer style mount can be purchased for under $500 and can be welded in for another $100-200. Changing the mount might require a change to your oil line running from the engine back to the tank. So, if you keep all this in mind when factoring in (dollar spend) you could come out with a nice car. Also keep in mind, glass flares can be nice if they were installed well. However, most are not and over time will develop cracks where they join to the metal body. Good luck with your search.

Yes! And THANK YOU for that information! These are things I need to be constantly aware of and consider as I'm not a mechanic and the additional cost to change things is something I have to factor in the total cost of the car. Thank you for looking out! beerchug.gif
tumamilhem
QUOTE(matthepcat @ Mar 24 2015, 08:29 PM) *

I can only find tasteless and incorrect conversions like mine.

Hahahaha! Nice. smile.gif Well when doing a conversion, I think if you're going to change things from OG, you should do them to your taste. Factor in how it will resell if it's too customized, but if you're going to keep it for yourself, make it how you want it.

I just wish people to do it to a /4. It makes me sad to see people convert an LE or an OG /6 because they're the rarest of the breed. Even a flat 6 swapped out engine in a /6 is now just a 914 with a different engine. It kills the originality and why that car is valuable.

Personally, I'm not interested in modernizing the car. I think modern appearance updates look worse as the car is obviously dated. I want to upgrade the car but do it with period-correct mods. I'm determined to keep my LE OG. So for a second 914, I'd like to be able to have a bit of fun with it (paint, positive stripes, chrome bumpers w/o tits, bonnet lid gas filler, flares, Fuchs, plaid or GT seats, etc.), sill all period correct. Okay, maybe a 3.2 Carrera engine with a 915. biggrin.gif
Mike Fitton
The one on Ebay looks nice, too bad he picked the worst resale color.
tumamilhem
QUOTE(Mike Fitton @ Mar 25 2015, 11:24 AM) *

The one on Ebay looks nice, too bad he picked the worst resale color.

Yeah. Would look better on a 911 (911 factory color). Rare on the 911 too. But probably for a reason. Nice car otherwise. If a paint job wasn't so expensive, would be more of a consideration.
MoveQik
You'll love the six if you get one!
MoveQik
Delete...no pic.
MoveQik
Fine.....I can't resist an LE any longer! I get the rarity and I love the performance of the 2.0/4! I have a 3.2 that is award winning(see pics)! I might consider trading if you'll take my car and no more than $20k. As I understand it, LE's are selling for about the price of 3 good, clean 73 2.0's. So by my math your car is worth about $50-60k. I figure mine to be worth $40k(VERY rare 75 1.8 liter with copper metallic VIN#) Do we have a deal?Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
tumamilhem
MoveQik if you are interested in selling your car, please PM me lots of detailed photos (or link to them online) and description. Beautiful ride.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.