Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: VIN sticker for door jam area
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SP9146
I checked the archives here or maybe Pelican board a while ago and there was a post about how you could go to a Porsche dealer with verification of ownership and order a replacement VIN sticker.

Something about needing to wait a long time and color or text wasn't same as original??

I'm too lazy to go thru a search and the posts. If anyone has done this I'd really appreciate some info -- how to do, wait time, same as the original or not. If you used a dealer in the So. Cal. area would like to know which one. I can imagine a WTF expression from a dealer that hasn’t done it before.

I took pics of the original one, which had to come off during the restoration to get the jams painted right. I suppose I could eye ball the location but would be better if some of you experts have exact measurements from the striker or other reference point.

The restoration will probably take a few more months but I’d like to order it now if it’s orderable, something tells me it will take a long time to get.

Many thanks in advance!

Pete
1970 Irish Green 914-6

GWN7
Here's One thread about it.
GWN7
and the Other

This one has the orginal thread about them too.
GWN7
first one was on page 2, second was on page 3 biggrin.gif
SP9146
Wow what great threads Bruce, thanks for posting the links! clap.gif
Hi_Fi_Guy
I ordered a new one from Scottsdale Porsche last week. Should take six weeks to come in. I'll post to the board when it arrives.
SP9146
I'm getting confused. Posted a message on another board about searching for this topic but not being able to find any of my old threads. Anyway come to find I posted it here. Maybe I should read and post before hitting the dinner wine.

Anyway I visited two dealers today in L.A. to order the new label. Both told me Porsche only provides replacement labels for 1986 and newer. Does that sound right? One guy told me I need to bring in the old one which is odd because it was destroyed during the restoration. Aren't their clients mainly people who bought used without a VIN label or one painted over?

If anyone knows of a more up to speed dealer out here in L.A. or can otherwise help with advice please let me know.

Hi Fi guy did yours ever come in? What color was it? I need the silver.

Many thanks guys.
partsman
Here I sit....still offering to help any and all club memebers....Porsche has NOT limited the sticker to '86 and above. How do I know this? Because my job title is Parts Manager, Porsche of Nashua, and I've been dealing exclusively with Porsche for over ten years now. I know going to your local dealer might seem more convienent than some guy across the country, but when they can't (or won't) help you out, how about trying a fellow club member with dealer ties? I know I'm not the independants who everyine buys parts from, but I ain't all that bad either.

Eric
Allan
What's the cost?
Rusty
Okay... for posterity. Who actually got a replacement sticker, and what does it look like?

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
davep
IIRC the new decals are current Porsche decals. That is they say Porsche not VW, and the weights are incorrect. Not concours but useful.
markb
QUOTE (partsman @ May 4 2005, 09:32 AM)
Here I sit....still offering to help any and all club memebers....Porsche has NOT limited the sticker to '86 and above. How do I know this? Because my job title is Parts Manager, Porsche of Nashua, and I've been dealing exclusively with Porsche for over ten years now. I know going to your local dealer might seem more convienent than some guy across the country, but when they can't (or won't) help you out, how about trying a fellow club member with dealer ties? I know I'm not the independants who everyine buys parts from, but I ain't all that bad either.

Eric

Don't take it personally, Eric. You don't post often enough to come quickly to mind. Redshift or Z, however. wink.gif
What exactly do we need to have to order a replacement? Copy of reg? Pic of original (if you have one)? Or???
My Blue car will be ready to go to the bodyman here soon, it might be nice to order a new one now.
william harris
Come on Partsman, jump in with both feet: tell em they gotta: 1.) provide proof of ownership, 2.) costs and time to get, and 3.) post of picture of the labels. Hey, I for one don't mind that the new labels say Porsche - kinda like that. Eric, you can borrow my digital camera instead of using that camera phone. Anyway, fire away and let people know that 90% of the stuff we want is still available from Porsche and you can give fellow 914club members are real good deal. clap.gif
Lou W
Eric,

You got mail. smile.gif
partsman
I have my sticker at home..I'll scan it in tonight and post it...or, if anyone that got one from me can post it quicker...

All I need is a copy of the title (or registration) and your license, and we're off to the races...at least on this sde of the Atlantic. Last one I got took about 6 weeks. My fax number is 603-595-1708. I'll get the current cost from Porsche too.

Eric
Joe Bob
How much?
partsman
I just checked...the stickers are listing at $85.00 and I will set the club price at $58.00

eric
Joe Bob
OK...I need one...take paypal?
Joe Bob
You have mail....AND a fax....
Gint
QUOTE (partsman @ May 4 2005, 02:48 PM)
I just checked...the stickers are listing at $85.00 and I will set the club price at $58.00

eric

Oooh! I'm all in. You previously posted:

All I need is a copy of the title (or registration) and your license, and we're off to the races...at least on this sde of the Atlantic. Last one I got took about 6 weeks. My fax number is 603-595-1708. I'll get the current cost from Porsche too.

Copy of the title is a no brainer. Copy of the license? Driver's license? License plate?
markb
If it's the same as having a key made rom the number (it should be) they want your Drivers Lic.
Joe Bob
UPDATE......

Fax my registration AND pinkslip (owner doc) over the weekend. Spoke with Eric personally just a minute ago....sticker is on order.....so Manfred will have the foil thingy soon....hopefully.

BTW...nice guy. If ya want the sticker....fax and call. NOW>..........that means YOU. cool_shades.gif
jonwatts
Sir, yes Sir. But I'm still confused. We don't have pink slips, we have registration, title, and driver's license. I'll call on Tuesday.

I can't believe this was on page 2 already.

icon_bump.gif
Joe Bob
Finally a proper tone of respect from ya.....
Gint
QUOTE (jonwatts @ May 9 2005, 07:55 PM)
I can't believe this was on page 2 already.

icon_bump.gif

That's where it went... Thanks for the bump Jon.

Eric (partsman), You have mail and PM.

THANKS!
Joe Bob
Eric, you have an email....
Gint
icon_bump.gif

Search is your friend...wink.gif
skline
But I still have yet to see anyone scan one and post up a picture of it. I did not see a reply from Eric. Zois, did you get yours? These posts are from 2005. I am about ready to attempt it but not one of the people who said they would scan and post ever did.
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(skline @ Apr 11 2007, 10:04 AM) *

But I still have yet to see anyone scan one and post up a picture of it. I did not see a reply from Eric. Zois, did you get yours? These posts are from 2005. I am about ready to attempt it but not one of the people who said they would scan and post ever did.

popcorn[1].gif !!

cool_shades.gif
PRS914-6
This is what you get when you order from the dealer. I ordered this from Sunset Porsche. It took awhile to get but it was hassle free. Note the 911 part # Ready to install, I just need paint sad.gif Click to view attachment
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(PRS914-6 @ Apr 11 2007, 10:50 AM) *

This is what you get when you order from the dealer. I ordered this from Sunset Porsche. It took awhile to get but it was hassle free. Note the 911 part # Ready to install, I just need paint sad.gif Click to view attachment

Thanks!!

cool_shades.gif
736conver
Thanks. Do you have a part number?

Look at the bottom of the sticker..
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Apr 11 2007, 07:58 AM) *

QUOTE(PRS914-6 @ Apr 11 2007, 10:50 AM) *

Thanks!!

cool_shades.gif

I did not know that a 914 weighed over 3000 lbs!!!!!!
dr914@autoatlanta.com
IPB Image

This is what you get when you order from Automobile Atlanta.
skline
I guess the weight would be accurate if you put a big block chevy engine in it and the whole family too.

How would you put the date of manufacture and the VIN number on the ones from AA?

dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(skline @ Apr 11 2007, 09:12 AM) *

I guess the weight would be accurate if you put a big block chevy engine in it and the whole family too.

How would you put the date of manufacture and the VIN number on the ones from AA?

I would think that SOMEONE in this club would be the genius to key punch these stickers???
John
George,

Yours look great and all, and the only thing keeping me from ordering one is punching out the VIN and Mfg date.

I would have been all over it a year or more ago, if there was a good way to punch it and make it look presentable. The one shown on the top is the one I want. for my silver car.

Gint
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Apr 11 2007, 08:41 AM) *

First off, GVWR means fully loaded with people, cargo and fluids.
A gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) is the maximum allowable total weight of a road vehicle or trailer that is loaded, including the weight of the vehicle itself plus fuel, passengers, and cargo.

And that's the GVWR for a 911.

Personally, I think I'd rather have a dealer sticker meant for a 911 on my 914/6 that came from a dealer and is legal, regardless of the fact that there 911 specific details on it that aren't correct for the 914.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(Gint @ Apr 11 2007, 10:11 AM) *

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Apr 11 2007, 08:41 AM) *

First off, GVWR means fully loaded with people, cargo and fluids.
A gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) is the maximum allowable total weight of a road vehicle or trailer that is loaded, including the weight of the vehicle itself plus fuel, passengers, and cargo.

And that's the GVWR for a 911.

Personally, I think I'd rather have a dealer sticker meant for a 911 on my 914/6 that came from a dealer and is legal, regardless of the fact that there 911 specific details on it that aren't correct for the 914.

When the previous owner applied to Porsche for a vin plate for his grey market 1972 914-6 he received a 911 aluminum plate that would in no way attach to the headlight box other than drilling new holes!
I would not worry about the sticker nor a factory look repro plate made by an engraver, as long as the car was legit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! These days everyone is tending to make the 914s look as original as possible, and a 911 sticker in the door jamb just isn't original!
davep
IPB Image
IPB Image
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Apr 11 2007, 09:16 AM) *

These days everyone is tending to make the 914s look as original as possible,

Really? confused24.gif With all the /6 conversions, GT bodywork, wheel/tire upgrades, and a-x/track car mods, I'd think just the opposite was happening.
GeorgeRud
Aren't the punches in the stickers about the same as the old check engravers used? I also believe that one of us greybeards must have/remember these. I've looked and cannot find one, but it would be nice to be able to realistically restore these stickers. As the Dr. said, if the car's legit, there should be no problem.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Apr 11 2007, 12:45 PM) *

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Apr 11 2007, 09:16 AM) *

These days everyone is tending to make the 914s look as original as possible,

Really? confused24.gif With all the /6 conversions, GT bodywork, wheel/tire upgrades, and a-x/track car mods, I'd think just the opposite was happening.

Nope! Of course I am speaking from my perspective here!!!!!! And you know what that means!
JeffBowlsby
You can find images of all the 'Safety Compliance "VIN" labels' on my webpage here, including the replacement label Mike Z got from the dealer and the one with the 911 part number:

http://members.rennlist.com/914_collectibles/PLM.htm

biggrin.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.