Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: MPS
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DavidSweden
I am rebuilding my motor 76 2.0 and checked the MPS today. It sucked on it and it does not hold a vacuum, from what I have read it should hold a vacuum. My engine was running before the rebuild and I don't see how it could of got damaged when I removed it.

Do I need to replace it?
ChrisFoley
The diaphragm is bad. The engine will run much better after you replace the diaphragm.
I have what you need.
http://www.tangerineracing.com/engine.htm
DavidSweden
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Mar 21 2015, 12:40 PM) *

The diaphragm is bad. The engine will run much better after you replace the diaphragm.
I have what you need.
http://www.tangerineracing.com/engine.htm

Chris and anyone else who has the time to help

I have a couple of newbie questions regarding the MPS diaphragm replacement.

Is the diaphragm replacement fairly straightforward and how easy is it to re-calibrate the MPS?

If anyone who has done this can give me some advise I would be grateful

Thanks
boxsterfan
http://members.rennlist.com/pbanders/manif...sure_sensor.htm

Load of info here. This is the best reference for D-Jet out there.
BeatNavy
Chris provides very good instructions. I did it in about an hour and half one evening. Also, you don't HAVE to install the adjustment piece. You can do only the diaphragm replacement. I also have pictures I can share of the process if needed. It's not hard - go for it!
DavidSweden
QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Mar 21 2015, 03:32 PM) *

Chris provides very good instructions. I did it in about an hour and half one evening. Also, you don't HAVE to install the adjustment piece. You can do only the diaphragm replacement. I also have pictures I can share of the process if needed. It's not hard - go for it!

Rob,

Yes I want to go for it, I don't understand what do you mean when you say "you don't HAVE to install the adjustment piece"?

Can you please explain, thanks
76-914
Chris sells the tool as well. I highly recommend buying it. It's very frustrating when both limiters turn. Very, very small adjustments make big differences. Count the number of turns when removing.
BeatNavy
Chris' MPS kit comes in two types: Diaphragm repair and MPS tuning. You can just buy and install the diaphragm repair kit if that's all you want to do. It's pretty simple. If you want to make your MPS easily adjustable, buy the MPS adjustment option. You can see the options on the Tangerine website.
ChrisFoley
If you follow the included directions to replace the diaphragm and seals included in the kit - the MPS will operate as it did before the diaphragm failed.

Click to view attachment

If you replace the stock stop screw with the one included in my tuning kit, and you install a wideband air/fuel meter in your car, its fairly easy to improve the overall tuning of your engine.

Click to view attachment
DavidSweden
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Mar 21 2015, 04:22 PM) *

If you follow the included directions to replace the diaphragm and seals included in the kit - the MPS will operate as it did before the diaphragm failed.

Click to view attachment

If you replace the stock stop screw with the one included in my tuning kit, and you install a wideband air/fuel meter in your car, its fairly easy to improve the overall tuning of your engine.

Click to view attachment

Chris and everyone
Wouldn't a wide band air/fuel meter be overkill for my stock engine (what do they cost, I am a poor European with an expensive hobby). Could someone PM me Tangerines diaphragm installation instructions?
I have read the strip down and tuning instruction for the MPS on Rennlist it seems pretty straightforward. However some equipment is required a vacuum pump an LCR meter,.
The LCR meter recommended on Rennlist costs about $350the the cost of these products plus the diaphragm kit make it cheaper to buy a reconditioned unit From AutoAtlanta, although this would be not as much fun as repairing the unit myself.

Question: If I replace the diaphragm do I need to calibrate using a LCR meter or is there a workaround?

Thanks
ChrisFoley
An inductance meter isn't necessary.
The instructions explain how to assemble the unit to perform very closely to how it was built at the factory.
A 6" dial or digital caliper, or similar measuring instrument, is essential.
If I were you, I would buy the tuning kit along with the repair kit.
Better to have it and not use it, than not have it and wish you did.

I'm going to start offering a rebuilding service soon.
If you prefer, send your unit to me. We will install the new diaphragm and set it up with an inductance meter.
BeatNavy
QUOTE(DavidSweden @ Mar 22 2015, 04:43 AM) *

Wouldn't a wide band air/fuel meter be overkill for my stock engine (what do they cost, I am a poor European with an expensive hobby).

If you install the adjustment piece then "yes," it is a good idea to have an O2 sensor & A/F Meter. I liked having something else I can "play with" in the adjuster, but if you're just trying to get back to stock then the repair kit is probably all you need.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.