Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Am I crazy? Strange urge to ditch the 5 lug and go back to 4 lug!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Mueller
For some odd reason now I think 4 banger narrow bodied car looks fine with alloy rims offered from the factory, even though I did a 5 lug conversion years ago and went with 7x16 and 8x16 Phonedials on my narrow bodied car (FrankenFender if anyone remembers that one!

Being that when I get around to getting my latest 914 back on the road, chances are it is going to need new tires since those are about 6 years old and the car has been sitting idle for the last 4+ years.

I don't mind the 16x7 Phonedials, I just think the car would be nicer with something like some nicely finished original Mahles or the Pedrinis with the 8 smaller ribs

oh yea...5 lug conversion is redrilled 4 lug parts with longer studs and spacers (might be bolt on adapters in the rear, cannot remember and have not popped a wheel off yet)

IPB Image
veekry9
That look is so right,a wheely nice update on the order of a few years,suits the 914 perfectly,I particularly like the platinum anodized finish.
The other 924 5 Star also has a not too latemodel feel to them that retains a period quality.
(I'm guessing the person who coined the description "cookie cutter wheels" knew a thing or two about geometry and three about pastries).

Click to view attachment
These too look like the '60-70s,not cheep.An unusual choice for the 914.

http://www.hemmings.com/hmn/stories/2010/0..._feature23.html

https://www.google.ca/search?q=cookie+cutte...ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ

https://www.google.ca/search?q=steel+rule+d...274&bih=596

mepstein
6" silver cookies
KELTY360
I've always thought 4 lug Mahles are the best looking 914 wheel and if you're not looking to go with flares and big rubber, I don't see the point of a 5 lug conversion. IMO the phone dials look out of place on a 914.
TheCabinetmaker
15"tires are getting rarer and choices are diminishing.
Chris H.
Go for it if that's what you like, especially if the hubs are just re-drilled. You can still get Mahles pretty cheap. There's still a decent selection of 205/60/15 and 195/65/15 tires out there. I had some 205/60/15 Kumhos on mine that were good. Still kinda miss my 4 bolt Fuchs. Went to these 2008 Boxster/Cayman 17x7 with 215/40 Hankook tires. Just another option you may not be aware of...

Click to view attachment

You need 4 front wheels.
r_towle
5 lug fuchs look so right, leave it like it is and concentrate on the weird turbo charged power plant I know you are looking for...

TDI would be my hope for you.....

Rich
somd914
Definitely period correct...

Click to view attachment
Cuda911
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Mar 21 2015, 04:35 PM) *

I've always thought 4 lug Mahles are the best looking 914 wheel and if you're not looking to go with flares and big rubber, I don't see the point of a 5 lug conversion. IMO the phone dials look out of place on a 914.

I agree 100%.
somd914
QUOTE(Cuda911 @ Mar 21 2015, 09:25 PM) *

I agree 100%.

For me the five lug conversion is an '87 911 front end which also brings larger brakes. Steering, suspension, and braking to me is better than stock.

Rears are 914-6 axles, not drilled hubs.

But do what you want, it's your car - you'll never please everybody, so just worry about pleasing yourself.
sixnotfour
15x7 mahle 4 lug
sixnotfour
QUOTE(somd914 @ Mar 21 2015, 06:30 PM) *

QUOTE(Cuda911 @ Mar 21 2015, 09:25 PM) *

I agree 100%.

For me the five lug conversion is an '87 911 front end which also brings larger brakes. Steering, suspension, and braking to me is better than stock.

Rears are 914-6 axles, not drilled hubs.

But do what you want, it's your car - you'll never please everybody, so just worry about pleasing yourself.

run a 5 -4 adapter,,,,,,,,,,,,,,the fronts always look better with a spacer anyways...drive odd but look good
somd914
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Mar 21 2015, 09:34 PM) *

15x7 mahle 4 lug

The polished lip is sweet on the Mahles
Chris Pincetich
If it were mine, and I had 5-lug, I'd Fuchs it beerchug.gif
Yes, you are crazy, but in a good way biggrin.gif
Elliot Cannon
Do not. mad.gif Do NOT go back to 4 lug. barf.gif
mtn flyr
that car would look great with black cookies 15x7 imho, and be period cool
JRust
In 4-lug wheels I absolutely agree the Mahles are my favorite. I would not go back though. My absolute preference is the 16" fuch. Black centers with polished lips is flat out drooley.gif . For me it doesn't get any better on a 914.
colingreene
Why dont you get the car running first before you spend money on other things.
Montreal914
If the 5 lug conversion is done right, what can be more classic than a 914-6 original look confused24.gif

This looks perfect to me.

Click to view attachment
Andyrew
I've Always thought that the 914 looked the best with some polished 5 lug Fuchs... 16x7's with 205's is just right for a narrow body..
Bulldog9
my .o2, you have plenty of period correct 5 lug choices, no reason to take the time to back to 4 unless you really want stock, but in that case you would need new hubs. Ditch those phone dials, they don't look good on anything.... lol (joking)
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(colingreene @ Mar 21 2015, 08:54 PM) *

Why dont you get the car running first before you spend money on other things.

agree.gif

THIS. Very, very much this!

--DD
sixnotfour
since you like to make things 5 x 130 to 5 x 205..go backwards in a whole dlf. way..

sfrenck

15x7 mahle 4 lug

15x7??? Are those custom or did I miss something?
mepstein
QUOTE(sfrenck @ Mar 22 2015, 09:04 AM) *

15x7 mahle 4 lug

15x7??? Are those custom or did I miss something?

Custom. I know rick had a set. Came from po. Just like the custom 5 lug repro gas burners that another member welded up. I thought about custom 7&8 2.0 Fuchs but the cost was $2k +
Geezer914
Love the look of Mahle's! But would not change back to 4 lug after going through the expense of a 5 lug conversion. piratenanner.gif Click to view attachment
thelogo
I could be wrong but I went with
2.0 liter Fuchs and am very happy
With forgoing the whoile expense of 5 lug setup

And I would always go with

The most lightweight wheel !!!!!!!!

Call it the inner Colin Chapman in me but

The lightest wheel is the 4 lug 2.0 fuch

Yes ,no ????
bigkensteele
Let me know if you decide to go with Mahles. I want to get rid of these in order to force me to go ahead and do the 5 lug conversion that I have been putting off for a couple of years. I have a couple sets for 5 lug Fuchs, but I have always loved cookie cutters too, so maybe we could work out a trade.

They could all stand to be refinished, but condition-wise, one is perfect, two have very slight curb rash, and one is pretty gouged. They come with 914rubber.com machined center caps and 16 nice alloy-correct lugs.

Let me know if you are interested.
Click to view attachment
bigkensteele
This is the worst.
Click to view attachment
horizontally-opposed
Did you say five lugs and "period correct," Mike?

Going from five lugs back to four would be like dumping a 911 engine out of a six conversion to install a Subaru four, and no one with half a brain would ever do that, would they? Oh, wait. Hi, Mr. Smith! biggrin.gif
DBCooper
Yes, you're crazy.

Ben and Ralph
This is what the cookies' look like on my 914. (look a lot better cleaned and polished).
However Fuchs are probably the best looking period correct rim for the 914 in my opinion.Click to view attachment
veekry9
Click to view attachment

Reflecting the ambient light and showing off the texture.
A polished and tinted treatment,makes the 911/912/924/944 "PentaStars" look clean.
Painted black,the geometry of the diecasting is obscured.

Click to view attachment

Caps.

Click to view attachment

Bronze/titanium inside the bowl.
Anodized or painted in a slight tinge,complements the car's paint.

http://www.atswheels.com/ats/motorsport/
struckn
I've never really heard of the reason to convert from the Stock Four Lug Wheels to Five Lug? Is it for the additional strength of a fifth Lug Nut/bolt or strictly for appearance and upgrading to larger wheels?

confused24.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(struckn @ Mar 23 2015, 12:19 PM) *

I've never really heard of the reason to convert from the Stock Four Lug Wheels to Five Lug? Is it for the additional strength of a fifth Lug Nut/bolt or strictly for appearance and upgrading to larger wheels?

confused24.gif

Larger front brakes. With early 911-3" struts you can use m calipers or PMB brembos. With later 3.5 struts you can use s calipers. 911 or 944 cv's on the rear. There are also more sizes of wheels for 5 lug.
McMark
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 23 2015, 09:32 AM) *

QUOTE(struckn @ Mar 23 2015, 12:19 PM) *

confused24.gif

Larger front brakes. With early 911-3" struts you can use m calipers or PMB brembos. With later 3.5 struts you can use s calipers. 911 or 944 cv's on the rear. There are also more sizes of wheels for 5 lug.

But for a street car, basically for looks. wink.gif
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 23 2015, 09:32 AM) *

Well covered. Vented front rotors, better caliper options (from PMB or 911S to 951 or 986 with adapters), more suspension options, better CVs and axles, and a LOT more wheel options—from 15 to 18 inches in diameter and a lot of widths over the 15x5.5 inches that 914-4s came with.

And yes, some prefer the appearance—though I really like a four-lug car done right.
eric9144
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Mar 23 2015, 08:51 AM) *

And yes, some prefer the appearance—though I really like a four-lug car done right.

agree.gif Love the look and plan on keeping it... Most people go to 5 lug because to achieve the braking upgrades while staying 4 lug is too costly for most people to stick with...
mepstein
There's so few options for wide wheels on a flared car that it's almost mandatory to go 5 lug.
Krieger
Nobody shoot me, but I remember looking at an AA catalogue and seeing 16" 2.0 alloys.
eric9144
QUOTE(Krieger @ Mar 23 2015, 10:33 AM) *

Nobody shoot me, but I remember looking at an AA catalogue and seeing 16" 2.0 alloys.

I think the "Dr" listed those and widened 2.0 Fuchs but could never deliver on them...
McMark
ar15.gif IPB Image
veekry9
QUOTE(Krieger @ Mar 23 2015, 02:33 PM) *

I haven't yet run it past him,but I'm pretty sure a billet wheel to 17-18" would be no problem for the longhair to machine in a 4 stud configuration. biggrin.gif
No doubt a pricey affair,entirely a custom design,his new wheels are very similar,a few minor details of change.I already know they look just right.
Any offset and width to suit the rubber you want to carry.
Mueller
QUOTE(veekry9 @ Mar 23 2015, 01:38 PM) *

I haven't yet run it past him,but I'm pretty sure a billet wheel to 17-18" would be no problem for the longhair to machine in a 4 stud configuration. biggrin.gif
No doubt a pricey affair,entirely a custom design,his new wheels are very similar,a few minor details of change.I already know they look just right.

He doesn't make them nor does he own the shop...his rims are contracted out and made by these guys...

http://fifteen52.us/wheels/

Yes, the car needs to run 1st before it needs tires or new rims...I think I'll be putting some money to the side for some 16x6 Fuchs as long as the price of those don't get too high!
veekry9
QUOTE(Mueller @ Mar 23 2015, 05:39 PM) *

QUOTE(veekry9 @ Mar 23 2015, 01:38 PM) *

He doesn't make them nor does he own the shop...his rims are contracted out and made by these guys...

http://fifteen52.us/wheels/

Yes, the car needs to run 1st before it needs tires or new rims...I think I'll be putting some money to the side for some 16x6 Fuchs as long as the price of those don't get too high!

Correctomundo.

EdwardBlume
I like them both. Done!
Mueller
I must be onto something by wanting to go back to 4 lug...

The 2016 Mazda Miata will be 4 lug again....they went to 5 lug for about 5 or 6 years..

struckn
QUOTE(Mueller @ Apr 15 2015, 11:55 AM) *

I must be onto something by wanting to go back to 4 lug...

The 2016 Mazda Miata will be 4 lug again....they went to 5 lug for about 5 or 6 years..

I saw that too, in the latest May Road and Track.
MX-5 Miata four lug. They gave a good reason for it, weight! The article begins "Five Lugs Good, four lugs better! It weighs interestingly enough, 2200 LB and has a 1.5 liter front mid-engine, 50/50 balance.

drooley.gif
rjames
Keep the 5 lug, but go with something other than the phone dials. Given their round accents they don't really go that well with the 914's square lines like the fuchs or cookie cutters do.
JamesM
All 3 of my cars, including the flared one are 4 bolts. I could see going 5 lug on a 6 conversion because it would be more "correct" but I love the look of the 4 bolt wheels on 914s. Fuchs, Mahles, and if you want to go 16x7" the VTOs look like a period wheel and fit 4 bolt narrow body cars.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.