Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Undisturbed since 1986..this is what it looks like
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
billh1963
There's a Marathon Blue '74 1.8 with a/c under all that dirt. Yes..it was stored with the window down.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Johny Blackstain
Reminds me of the VW Bug from the movie "Sleeper" biggrin.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ctin21yrfcA
mepstein
Did you buy it?
Shadowfax
I know this isn't possible, but with all that detritus, looks like the car could be from Pompeii or maybe Herculaneum. The only reason I say it isn't possible is because we all know Romans drove Fiats.
boxstr
Where is it located, state, what lic plates?
Craig at CAMP
billh1963
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 22 2015, 04:37 PM) *

Did you buy it?

I did.

Couldn't see the longs; but, both trunks are clean (front trunk cut for a/c), floor pan's look good and battery tray looks rough but hell hole looks good.

Car has Fuchs (that steelie is the spare).

Also came with two more 914 rollers ('74 2.0 and a '72...both are probably parts cars...hell holes look pretty bad) along with a complete GA 2.0 and another 1.8 plus spare transmissions.

Seller has some other Porsche cars. However, out of courtesy I did not take pictures.
KELTY360
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Mar 22 2015, 01:35 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 22 2015, 04:37 PM) *

Did you buy it?

I did.

Tomb Raider aktion035.gif
billh1963
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Mar 22 2015, 07:37 PM) *

Tomb Raider aktion035.gif

That's a good one smile.gif
scotty b
Addiction is a state characterized by compulsive engagement in rewarding stimuli, despite adverse consequences.[7] It can be thought of as a disease or biological process leading to such behaviors.[1][8] The two properties that characterize all addictive stimuli are that they are (positively) reinforcing (i.e., they increase the likelihood that a person will seek repeated exposure to them) and intrinsically rewarding (i.e., they activate the brain's "reward pathways", and are therefore perceived as being something positive or desirable).[1][3][6] ΔFosB, a gene transcription factor, is now known to be a critical component and common factor in the development of virtually all forms of behavioral and drug addictions.[9][10][11]
Addiction exacts a high toll on individuals and society as a whole through the direct adverse effects of drugs and associated healthcare costs, the functional consequences of altered neuroplasticity in the brain, and the loss of productivity.[12] Classic hallmarks of addiction include impaired control over substances or behavior, preoccupation with substance or behavior, continued use despite consequences, and denial.[13] Habits and patterns associated with addiction are typically characterized by immediate gratification (short-term reward), coupled with delayed deleterious effects (long-term costs).[14]
Potential addictions can include, but are not limited to, exercise addiction, food addiction, drug addiction, computer addiction, sex addiction and gambling addiction. Currently, only substance addictions and gambling addiction are recognized by the DSM-5, which uses physical dependence and the associated withdrawal syndrome to identify an addictive state. Physical dependence occurs when the body has adjusted by incorporating the substance into its "normal" functioning – i.e., attains homeostasis – and therefore physical withdrawal symptoms occur upon cessation of use.[15] Tolerance is the process by which the body continually adapts to the substance and requires increasingly larger amounts to achieve the original effects. Withdrawal refers to physical and psychological symptoms experienced when reducing or discontinuing a substance that the body has become dependent on. Symptoms of withdrawal generally include but are not limited to anxiety, irritability, intense cravings for the substance, nausea, hallucinations, headaches, cold sweats, and tremors.

mellow.gif
billh1963
Now, Scott..you know I am down to only one 914. I can't have that and be a member of this forum! smile.gif

I have been wanting a marathon blue car...this may be the one! I'm thinking a 2056 would go good in here. Of course, I have to get the 'possum skeleton off the top of the engine. Did I forget to mention that? lol-2.gif
Krieger
Cool find! Post more pictures once you get them cleaned up.
Cuda911
Looks like a great find!
bulitt
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Mar 22 2015, 08:29 PM) *

Now, Scott..you know I am down to only one 914. I can't have that and be a member of this forum! smile.gif

I have been wanting a marathon blue car...this may be the one! I'm thinking a 2056 would go good in here. Of course, I have to get the 'possum skeleton off the top of the engine. Did I forget to mention that? lol-2.gif

Charles City here we come....
bcheney
Nice Find! Love that color and hope she cleans up good piratenanner.gif
r_towle
It would be nice to see it washed...

Post a pic when you can show it the way its supposed to look...

Rich
CptTripps
Great find. Can't wait to see it on the road again.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(CptTripps @ Mar 23 2015, 01:39 PM) *

agree.gif

it amazes me how these will surface from time to time---- atleast it was inside, but why would they leave the window down?? that thing looks like 50 years of dust accumulation! interested to see how the longs look!. have you checked to see if the engine turns freely?
billh1963
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Mar 23 2015, 02:05 PM) *

agree.gif

it amazes me how these will surface from time to time---- atleast it was inside, but why would they leave the window down?? that thing looks like 50 years of dust accumulation! interested to see how the longs look!. have you checked to see if the engine turns freely?

The PO was having trouble with the FI so he had the FI replaced with a single carb. He didn't like that so he pulled it in to one of his buildings and was going to replace that with a set of dual webers (which are still in the trunk). He never went back to it....
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Mar 23 2015, 02:14 PM) *

QUOTE(Philip W. @ Mar 23 2015, 02:05 PM) *

agree.gif

The PO was having trouble with the FI so he had the FI replaced with a single carb. He didn't like that so he pulled it in to one of his buildings and was going to replace that with a set of dual webers (which are still in the trunk). He never went back to it....

well we all know how that can happen, life gets in the way and then we move on-
its nice to "unearth" these so that they can be returned to working order and enjoyed by someone rather than rotting away. Atleast he put it inside.
Rav914
Coincidence! My '74 1.8 was stored since '86 when I bought it as well. Mine had a car cover on it however. I love "finds". Very cool.
sixnotfour
agree.gif your 914 is sweet, wish I had It smile.gif
billh1963
Picking it up Sunday!
somd914
Are you sure it's dirt and not rust?! biggrin.gif

And you know the latest trend in car collecting is to leave them as found, but not sure if that applies to skeletons...
billh1963
QUOTE(somd914 @ Mar 25 2015, 09:38 PM) *

Are you sure it's dirt and not rust?! biggrin.gif

And you know the latest trend in car collecting is to leave them as found, but not sure if that applies to skeletons...

What I touched was dirt. However, with a 914 anything is possible. The car may have tricked me! smile.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.