Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Trying to get ready to head to the Route 66 Event
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rick 918-S
I lost the speedometer Friday. I thought it may be the speedometer as the trip meter was not working when we went to Moab last year. My assumption was the rest of the unit quit. I checked the speed head with a drill and it was turning. I assumed the cable failed. Not having a spare I spent half a day pulling the cable out of the Alien and installing it in 7 of 9.

Drove it around the block and the speedo worked for about half the trip.

Could it be the angle drive? Why did the speedo work for half the test drive? Can the angle drive failure be intermittent?

Oh, changed speedo heads, no joy.

Anyone had an angle drive fail? I have an extra but I have to crawl under the car one more time. dry.gif My hip and back are killing me.

mepstein
Use a free speedo app on your phone or gps and leave the car alone until after the trip
VegasRacer
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Mar 22 2015, 03:30 PM) *

Can the angle drive failure be intermittent?

Yes. I have experienced it in Elvira.
(relating to odometer, not speedometer)
rick 918-S
I'm going to try the angle drive tonight after I recover from todays fiasco.
Socalandy
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Mar 22 2015, 05:31 PM) *

I'm going to try the angle drive tonight after I recover from todays fiasco.

That's where my issue was on two occasions.
76-914
drain the oil or park it at one steep angle. av-943.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(76-914 @ Mar 22 2015, 08:12 PM) *

drain the oil or park it at one steep angle. av-943.gif

Ya, I'll jack it way up in the air in the rear and hope it's high enough. I already a pool or gear lube on the floor from pulling the angle drive out of a spare transaxle I had under the bench.
JRust
Hey look at it this way. It could always be worse confused24.gif . I'm sure you'll get it squared away. Maybe see you next week still
rick 918-S
QUOTE(JRust @ Mar 22 2015, 08:44 PM) *

Hey look at it this way. It could always be worse confused24.gif . I'm sure you'll get it squared away. Maybe see you next week still

Things will look different tomorrow. Come join us anyway. It will give you inspiration to get back on the horse.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.