Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pertronix Static Timing.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tach
Is it possible to set the pertronix static ignition timing (distributor to crank timing)somewhat accurately with the engine out of the car? With a stock coil. I would like to do this before I install my rebuilt engine back into the 1974 1.8 914.
bandjoey
I think static timing is to get points open by turning the distributor. (Experts will correct me I'm sure). With Pertonix There's no points. It's been a long time since I looked but I remember Pertronix web site having instructions on the initial setup to start the car. Good luck. Installed mine years ago and it works fine.
tach
Accurate distributor timing is what I actually meant.
stugray
Just try it the normal way.
It should work just like points.

You just cant check the dwell the same as points

Just be careful.
the older pertronix will fry if left on (for too long) and right at that trigger point where you will be setting the static timing.
messix
mark the body of the distributor where the #1 plug is on the cap, then turn the engine until the pulley timing mark comes to the timing pointer in the inspection hole and set the distributor body to line the rotor up with the mark.

this will get it pretty close.

clear as mud?
aircooledtechguy
When you install a Pertronix or Compufire ignition module you loose the ability to statically time the engine. Can't be done.

If you didn't move the dizzy in the clamp, you should be right where you left off with the other motor (provided the distributor drive gear was set correctly on both motors). If you did move it, then do what Troy (Messix) said to do.

Do yourself a favor prior to installing the dizzy, check out this page and perform the slight modification inside the dizzy to ensure your wires stay in one piece. The Pertronix units are notorious for this and I see this in 75% of cars equipped with them. The engineers should have made it so the wires were coming out of the other side of the module. . .
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(aircooledtechguy @ Mar 25 2015, 10:14 AM) *

When you install a Pertronix or Compufire ignition module you loose the ability to statically time the engine. Can't be done.

If you didn't move the dizzy in the clamp, you should be right where you left off with the other motor (provided the distributor drive gear was set correctly on both motors). If you did move it, then do what Troy (Messix) said to do.

Do yourself a favor prior to installing the dizzy, check out this page and perform the slight modification inside the dizzy to ensure your wires stay in one piece. The Pertronix units are notorious for this and I see this in 75% of cars equipped with them. The engineers should have made it so the wires were coming out of the other side of the module. . .

cool, thanks for pointing out this potential issue , imboing to check mine tonight!
stugray
QUOTE(aircooledtechguy @ Mar 25 2015, 08:14 AM) *

So you are saying that if you turn on the ignition and rotate the dist, you cannot get the pertronix to turn ON without the engine running?
Sorry but I have done it before.
The 12V test lamp turns on & off as you trun the dizzy.
Or are you saying that it just wont be accurate?

And when you switch from points to pertronix the "phasing" of the On/Off changes so the position of the dizzy needs to change between points & pertronix.
They trigger at slightly different points.
I have tested the magnetically triggered ones and the optical modules.
Both will turn on/off for rough static timing.
mskala
QUOTE(stugray @ Mar 25 2015, 10:29 AM) *

So you are saying that if you turn on the ignition and rotate the dist, you cannot get the pertronix to turn ON without the engine running?

And when you switch from points to pertronix the "phasing" of the On/Off changes so the position of the dizzy needs to change between points & pertronix.

Agree. I also have done the same thing with /6. You can simply connect a
spark plug & wire to the cap and place plug near metal ground. Turn dist
back and forth and you can get a spark if you hook up the other ignition
electricals.
stugray
QUOTE(mskala @ Mar 25 2015, 09:37 AM) *

QUOTE(stugray @ Mar 25 2015, 10:29 AM) *

Agree. I also have done the same thing with /6. You can simply connect a
spark plug & wire to the cap and place plug near metal ground. Turn dist
back and forth and you can get a spark if you hook up the other ignition
electricals.

I just use a DMM in voltage mode and put it on the Coil - (minus) side where it hooks to the "points" wire. As you turn the dist body, the voltage will go to 12 volts when the points are open and to close to zero volts when the points are closed.

Pertronix works the same
stugray
Here is a video of a pertronix unit powered with a 12 V power supply and a test light in place of where the coil would be.

So when setting the static timing you are just trying to find the "edges" of the on off cycle, you can do it with the rotor stationary @ TDC -5 degrees and twist the body to find the point where the light transitions to off simulating the points opening.

pertronix bench test
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.