Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear windshield setting blocks?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RazorbackFan78
I'm needing to replace the rubber spacers that the rear windshield sits on. Anyone know of a source for these? They show back-ordered on 914rubber.

OR if anyone knows of a good DIY solution, i'd be curious to see your results.

LOL - The previous owner used a shoe string on one side and a rubber tile spacer on the other. So I don't even know what the little buggers look like!
falcor75
I bought a rubber filler spreader and cut two strips from it in the correct thickness.

http://www.johnwall.se/bilder/artiklar/zoom/45000129_1.jpg
CptTripps
Just use a 1/8" dowel rod to lay across to get the spacing. Then remove it when you're done. (Don't quote me on the 1/8" thing....I don't remember what size I used last time.)
zambezi
I agree with Doug, and when you are done, put a strip of black tape across the bottom to hide the gap or you will see it once the backpad is back in.
ThePaintedMan
I wouldn't do that! Don't remove the dowel or whatever spacer you put in. I did that on both my front and rear windshield and they both slid down over the next two weeks. I still need to re-do the front glass because in the process it screwed up the rubber trim that I got from 914 Rubber too.
McMark
Black tape along the bottom edge was done at the factory. wink.gif

And I've never used spacers and never had a problem. I use the factory 8mm Butyl. I never use Urethane to install glass on a 914.
Nine_14
No sources found in the states.....

In Germany http://sportwagen-eckert.com/product_info....3klkrgbkrmmiej2

RazorbackFan78
after pulling off the old butyl tape I found the spacers actually behind the tape. Odd. So now I have something to model my replacement after. they're pretty dry and brittle otherwise I just reuse them. Thanks for all the feedback guys.
Mikey914
Post some pics. I haven't seen these. Is it possible they are the same as the front windshield setting blocks?
turk22
They came in the rear window installation kit I bought from AA last year...

It just an 1/8 thick rubber strip (maybe an inch long) with a small depression running the length of it, that kind of accepts the glass.
RazorbackFan78
Here's two pics

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
jmalone
A glass shop will have rubber spacers that will work well
Mikey914
Looks a lot like the front setting block.
They are available at the dealership.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.