Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: So this happened...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Madswede
Topic says it - garage door comes off, knocks a heavy armored laptop (ironically the tuning laptop) onto the side of the car, somehow wedging it. I vaguely remember picking it up and putting it back, but didn't suspect damage and and didn't notice this for weeks. headbang.gif Can't believe I didn't check it out sooner, but honestly I was too worried about securing my garage to go to work. Idiotic.

Anyway, I had the insurance guy here today and he's recommending I find a specialized painter and body shop to do the repair. Also looking into whether my homeowner's insurance will cover this...

Click to view attachment
And, if you're not crying yet...
Click to view attachment

blink.gif barf.gif
I want it to be repaired to the quality of the rest of the paint, of course (you can see me in the reflection and it's dusty). I'm looking around ABQ with some recommendations from the locals, but not entirely sure I'll trust them with this. Not looking at the the big name bodyshop, crank 'em in & crank 'em out guys, never know who's going to be painting that day. Might go with a guy in Phoenix that Wills recommends. There is time to do this, and do it right. I'm just going to move on...
stugray
That sucks!
Hope it works out with the insurance.
I'll be interested to hear about it.

Ironically this exact thing happened to me recently.
I had gotten out the 10 foot ladder to hang the front hood from the ceiling where I put it out of the way.
I forgot and left the ladder out, and the next day when my wife opened the garage door, it wedged the ladder under the door and pushed the door out of the tracks.
Wife tried to close the door, and it tore up the door a little and broke a window pane, but didnt fall on the 914 because the ladder held it up.

I just got lucky. Sorry about your misfortune. I bet the laptop is fine :-)
MoveQik
sad.gif But a road trip to Scottsdale wouldn't be terrible. Summer time BBQ & pool party with a 914 twist. smile.gif
KELTY360
Bummer. There's a guy in the Denver area who posts here and does some amazing work, but I can't find him in the member search. I thought his name was MetalSurgeon but that doesn't bring anything up. Maybe someone else knows who I'm thinking of. good luck with the repair.
balljoint
The Metal Surgeon
dcheek
Another word to the wise...........

For those that have the old style role up garage doors, make sure you install safety cables through the springs! One of mine let loose and dented the roof of my Westfalia Camper and missed my 911 by inches. I'm actually lucky since the force of those springs under tension can literally punch a hole through a car and can kill you if you are within range.

The kit is available at Home Depot or Lowes and it's very cheap.

Dave
AvalonFal
Yes, I second that safety cable through the springs. Just had it done to my garage doors. Cheap, didn't take long and worth it. One spring on one door snapped and came down with enough force to do real damage to flesh and metal. Luckily, my 914 was in the other bay of the garage and there was no car, or person, in the bay where the spring snapped.
KELTY360
QUOTE(balljoint @ Mar 25 2015, 03:43 AM) *

That's The guy.

He's posted some really fine work and he posted a while back that he was looking to expand his business a little.
Madswede
Thanks for the tip guys, I think I'll call Jon ... I appreciate that he spells his name properly, too. I'm not sure my job is big enough with all that he's got going on, but then again, blending paint the right way on a rear quarter panel with flares is no small job, really. It's times like this I'm grateful for this website and all who are on it! I am still investigating others, so nothing cast in stone, but it would be silly not to at least call the guy and/or check out the website. World members that do good work get a priority in my book.
KELTY360
QUOTE(Madswede @ Mar 25 2015, 08:25 PM) *

Thanks for the tip guys, I think I'll call Jon ... I appreciate that he spells his name properly, too. I'm not sure my job is big enough with all that he's got going on, but then again, blending paint the right way on a rear quarter panel with flares is no small job, really. It's times like this I'm grateful for this website and all who are on it! I am still investigating others, so nothing cast in stone, but it would be silly not to at least call the guy and/or check out the website. World members that do good work get a priority in my book.

Let us know how it turns out.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.