Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Looking for pics of Tangerine 914 GT
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
mharrison
I'm thinking of painting the new teener tangerine. Does anybody have or know the location of pics of a 914 with GT Flares that is tangerine?
Bleyseng
is this close enuf?
mharrison
Great Pic! This is exactly what I was looking for!

Bleyseng
Notice how everyone is standing around my son Blair's turbo car instead of Tony's cool six. WTF was that all about?

Geoff
mharrison
They're just looking to see if that engine and Turbo will fit in the teeners engine bay.

If you look real close you can see that one of them has a measuring tape! laugh.gif
Bleyseng
Thats a future project Blair wants to do. 320rwhp in a 914 would be scary, plus the sound,hehe.

Geoff
xitspd
Attached is our orange car racing in Ensenada Mexico.
xitspd
one more...
davep
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't those cars all Signal Orange. Tangerine is a redder color. Now Signal Orange was a favourite racing color whereas tangerine was fairly rare in comparison.
mharrison
I don't think that is a factory color, unless maybe it's Phoenix Red....

Here is a site I found:

http://homepage.mac.com/markd/914/colors.html
type47fan
QUOTE (davep @ Feb 13 2005, 06:02 PM)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't those cars all Signal Orange. Tangerine is a redder color. Now Signal Orange was a favourite racing color whereas tangerine was fairly rare in comparison.

Exactly what I was thinkin'. . . .
Martin Baker
Entered in error.
Bleyseng
this is tangerine
Trekkor
racer chris
SirAndy
QUOTE (davep @ Feb 13 2005, 06:02 PM)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't those cars all Signal Orange.

agree.gif all those examples were "Signal Orange" ...

rolleyes.gif Andy
Martin Baker
Then Marks website has a significant error.
Martin Baker
Natural light.
Martin Baker
QUOTE (mharrison @ Feb 13 2005, 04:14 PM)
Great Pic! This is exactly what I was looking for!

I posted pictures of Orange cars, its what the guy wanted.
SirAndy
QUOTE (Martin Baker @ Feb 13 2005, 07:49 PM)
Here is Tangerine...

yupp, that's much "redder" than singal orange ...

cool.gif Andy
Porsche Rescue
All are signal orange. Here is tangerine, factory original 1971 paint.
Porsche Rescue
Factory original 1974 phoenix red paint (except bumper and rocker).
Porsche Rescue
Signal orange, repaint, not factory paint.
Martin Baker
Here is ......
Porsche Rescue
Phoenix red and tangerine (called blood orange in Europe, guess US marketers were squemish) are very close but you can see a slight difference if the cars are side by side.
Martin Baker
How the HELL are Ya Jim?
Porsche Rescue
In fact, here are all three.
Martin Baker
Got any pic of your Three Five Six?
Porsche Rescue
Doin good. Looking forward to seeing you and your side-kick who talks funny at WCC '05. Craig (think you know him) is buying my phoenix red car and I am buying Eric Shea's yellow six. Just passed through your area Thursday on my way to Livermore where I picked up a track toy. It will be my AX/DE car now. Been following most of your GT posts. I expect to see that car done some day.
Martin Baker
I will finish, its been slow, been waiting for better weather as I only have a car port here, can't do any painting. I am re-doing the engine compartment and cabin as you already know. It will be sweet. Don't think we will make the WCC. Not sure yet, I am not to hip on showing up without a car (914). Glad you are doing fine! Congrats on the Six!
Porsche Rescue
356 is ugly, solid un-rusted car, but ugly. Was original aetna blue (many would say baby blue). Cheap repaint, so cheap that they did not remove the front license plate. Car is still blue behind the plate!
Think I'm gonna sell it. I buy thinking I'm going to restore, then I remember how much work it is.

Borrow one, steal one, whatever. Won't be the same without the Bakers.
Martin Baker
I will always want a Three Five Six. I would like a 64 or 5 coupe. In a race paint scheme, silver or white with red cabin.
Porsche Rescue
I'll quit with the thread hijack now, but here is the car I'm proud of. 1966 all original except one repaint, 162,000 miles, rebuilt engine at 108K. Still has the 4.5" wheels with the wires on the valve stems!
Porsche Rescue
Can't stop. Here is the 356 notchback.
Martin Baker
Damn Jim, that is sweet! I started the hijack...and I learned (again) that all that is on the internet is not correct.
Martin Baker
Lets make a 911R replica out of that Baby! Its already the correct color! Just kidding. That is a true time machine!
Gint
Tangerine...from Mark D's site. This I am now informed is NOT correct...

http://homepage.mac.com/markd/914/Tangerin.../Tangerine.html

user posted image

Hey! I recognize that car. I wonder why... idea.gif And it is Tangerine. The first few examples on this thread *look* like signal orange, but it's always hard to get good color comparisons with photographs of reds and oranges.
Eric_Shea
You guys are all colorblind. Jim's 66 looks like Tangerine to me. w00t.gif

Actually, I agree with what's been said. Those early shots look like Signal (may fav.) Orange. Gint... post a picture of your fresh tub. That's definately Tangerine.
Martin Baker
Gint, I took this photo from your thread...easy to see the two different colors here.
Gint
QUOTE (Eric_Shea Posted on Feb 13 2005 @ 09:54 PM)
You guys are all colorblind. Jim's 66 looks like Tangerine to me. w00t.gif

Actually, I agree with what's been said. Those early shots look like Signal (may fav.) Orange. Gint... post a picture of your fresh tub. That's definately Tangerine.

Probably easier just to say Click Here!

QUOTE (Martin Baker Posted on Feb 13 2005 @ 09:58 PM)
Gint, I took this photo from your thread...

I know... But that discoloration was from my camera. That picture in particular came out all funky. It didn't really look like that.
iamchappy
My original Phoenix red
Martin Baker
Got it....
Eric_Shea
With these cars they could have a number of colors on them. With my car Troy found the original Canary Yellow under the headlight covers. It's an "excellent" place to find your factory color because most shops don't go into that type of detail. On Gint's tub he had to look inside an original door. It literally took "days" to get the color matches on both of these cars. The formula is mixed using the factory codes and then they apply and let it dry out. After it's dry the compare and make final adjustments to the color. It's applied and compared again... until it's right.

I'm convinced that what you see on Gints tub is Tangerine and what you see on Mr. Jim Chambers new 914-6 is definately Canary Yellow as it left the factory.

If you're going for "Orange" then Tangerine is a much more vibrant color. It's much more Orange than Signal. I like Signal because of the vintage race thing... a lot of GT's were Signal. It's much more pale and subdued. Back to the original topic... I think the thread starter may have been looking for a Signal GT? confused24.gif
DougC
Well, since we're on the subject..here's my Tangerine car. If I was going to repaint a 914 and wanted orange I believe I would go eith Nepal Orange however, I like it slightly better than my Tangerine. BTW, the thing that strikes me about Tangerine (when looking at it in person) is how much brown there is in it, it's a deep, brown-ish kind of orange.

Doug C
Eric_Shea
Purdy...

Did you steal the wheels off my 911? I better go check the garage... blink.gif
Bleyseng
Orginal Nepal Orange paint a few years ago.
smg914
Tangerine '70 914-6
smg914
Phoenix Red '74 914 2.0
airkewl
Here's my other 6; this one is Tangerine (also known as Blood Orange in Europe).

Gint
QUOTE (Martin Baker Posted: Feb 13 2005 @ 10:07 PM)
Got it....but I do not buy it. I see orange and red(tangerine).

So does that mean you're flat out calling me a liar then? I'm telling you that the camera distorted those colors. When standing there looking at the tub, you couldn't see those variations.

Try this. Take 3-5 different digital cameras and take a picture with each of the same orange car (any orange car). If possible, wait until a cloud comes over and snap another shot with each camera. Then look at those different pictures on one PC/monitor combo. Tell me how many different colors of orange there *appears* to be. Then for fun, look at those 3-5 pics on 3-5 different PC/monitor combos.

Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Gint @ Feb 14 2005, 08:22 PM)
QUOTE (Martin Baker Posted: Feb 13 2005 @ 10:07 PM)
Got it....but I do not buy it. I see orange and red(tangerine).

So does that mean you're flat out calling me a liar then? I'm telling you that the camera distorted those colors. When standing there looking at the tub, you couldn't see those variations.

Try this. Take 3-5 different digital cameras and take a picture with each of the same orange car (any orange car). If possible, wait until a cloud comes over and snap another shot with each camera. Then look at those different pictures on one PC/monitor combo. Tell me how many different colors of orange there *appears* to be. Then for fun, look at those 3-5 pics on 3-5 different PC/monitor combos.

it does look like a smoth transition....so i buy the digital camera story. How old is that pic ? (Digital cameras are exponentialy better every year!)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.