Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Just returned from viewing a 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
thieuster
My good friend Alan and I went 15 miles south to have a look at the 914 I mentioned earlier. In short: all signs are still 'green'.

First, it's an all original car with matching numbers (VIN #4732914419). It's protected from new (Dinitrol - sort of Wurth stuff) and no rust in sight. The D-Jet was a mess but it's now sorted with virtual all items replaced, rebuilt or renewed, including new filters in the tank etc.

In short, it's 80 - 90% perfect.

Some shortcomings: the car has been stored for 17 yrs. Complete with a lot of oil in the engine to prevent rust. Great. But... over the years, it started leaking some oil, starting at the pushrod tube seals. These should be replaced. The engine runs great, but after a few minutes, it starts smoking(!) The oil on the heat exchangers start to burn. And I presume there's a lot of oil on them.

Further, the early 90s paint job is awful. No other words for that. In a perfect world, it needs a new 'coat'.

The price is right (more that US cars, but it's very, very difficult to find an original European car, with matching numbers and no rust). For now, I think I need to drop the engine, clean all parts, replace the pushrod tubes + seals (any advice will be great!!!). That will also give me plenty of time and room to clean the engine bay and have the tins powder coated.

For now, all input is welcome.

Menno
somd914
Pull the rocker panels if you haven't and check for rust.

Also keep in mind that with setting that long, brake fluid will need to be changed, calipers might need to be rebuilt, and all hoses (brakes, fuel, etc) are questionable given the age. Tires will also need to be replaced. Suspension bushings should also be considered. But this is all routine maintenance.

If it's truly rust free and runs, wow, you are off to a great start.

Any photos?
billh1963
RUST

Is the only thing that truly matters on a 914-4. Everything else is incidental smile.gif
thieuster
Great guys!

Under the rockers, it's as on the day the car left the factory. Yes, I'm lucky... All brake parts have been replaced / overhauled with brand new items (clearly visible when you take a look under the car.

The only worry at the mo is the excessive oil spil on the h/exchanger. As I wrote, not surprisingly after all these years of storage.

For now, I've found out that pushrod tubes for a VW type 4 are sold locally by a bunch of Air Cooled guys. I'm just wondering if it's a straight fit into the 914 engine and if it's a good idea to change the seals for Viton ones. My local Air Cooled shop!

Menno
Bleyseng
Yes, as the VW type 4 pushrod tubes are all the same. Pull the rocker arms, pull the pushrods noting their location to install back in the same spot, pull the pushrod tubes.
Clean clean clean all sealing surfaces in the head and case where the tubes will seal.
Clean the old tubes perfectly before installing O rings or buy new tubes if they are rusty, bent etc.
Install with a drop of oil on the O ring or that Teflon sealant. Turn them as you install so you don't rip the O rings.

Re-install the rockers and pushrods noting the spring must fit into the rocker stands slot and contact the pushrod tubes.

Now install a new gasket on the valve cover and install it without moving the gasket so it leaks. I use a sealant between the gasket and the valve cover so it is sealed and doesn't move when I install the cover.
bdstone914
Be aware that some early type IV engines had a different diameter pushrod tube. I think it was the early 1.7. Found this out when doing a rebuild.
PanelBilly
Pull the engine and take off the tins. I'm guessing after sitting for so many years that some mice may have moved in and packed it with a nest or two. While you e got it out, you can pull the exhaust and have it cleaned.
bulitt
Don't be running the engine with "a lot of oil" in it.
Bad stuff can happen.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.