Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Top Gear’ Host Jeremy Clarkson Sacked by BBC
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bandjoey
http://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/%E2%80%98...-bbc/ar-AA9YZTk

Even the most powerful are not exempt. The show goes on. Who's the next Jeremy?
76-914
Ashton Kutcher doesn't mind being an imposter. Or a show killer. happy11.gif
falcor75
Top Gear is dead as a show I'm afraid....Hopefully they'll all three get a contract to do a new show with another channel.
SteveL
hissyfit.gif
Without Clarkson, the show is dead. Damn, I enjoyed that one.
pete000
I agree, he made that show. Won't be the same without him.

I really don't care much for the US version, but maybe he could come over here and run that one!!!
DavidSweden
QUOTE(pete000 @ Mar 25 2015, 09:56 AM) *

I really don't care much for the US version, but maybe he could come over here and run that one!!!

As an English man albeit living in Sweden I say sack the load mouthed git. You cant go around hitting people even if you are celebrity.

And the show suks anyway.
mgp4591
QUOTE(pete000 @ Mar 25 2015, 11:56 AM) *

I was gonna say- maybe the Velocity Channel can work out a deal and bring the real thing to the good ol' US of A! Richard Hammond is already 1/2 American anyway, least that's what the other two always say! flag.gif
billh1963
Guess the days of duking it out man to man is over with.

It appears a swollen lip is a trip to the emergency room in the UK.....
Big Len
QUOTE(DavidSweden @ Mar 25 2015, 02:24 PM) *

As an English man albeit living in Sweden I say sack the load mouthed git. You cant go around hitting people even if you are celebrity.

I'll take a wild guess here and say you would "sack" him even if there wasn't a fight.
DavidSweden
QUOTE(Big Len @ Mar 25 2015, 11:06 AM) *

I'll take a wild guess here and say you would "sack" him even if there wasn't a fight.

Yes, sack him and ditch the show. I know this may be an unpopular viewpoint but I found the show childish and mostly uninteligent, although I must admit that it did shine sometimes but not often enough for me (maybe I have lived too long in Sweden)
And by the way can you hit your boss or work mate for that matter whatever the circumstances and keep your job?.....
DBCooper
QUOTE(DavidSweden @ Mar 25 2015, 12:26 PM) *

And by the way can you hit your boss or work mate for that matter whatever the circumstances and keep your job?.....

No, you can't. Anywhere.

The guy's a prat and WAY too full of himself. I couldn't watch the show because of him, so nothing lost for me.

SLITS
The show will die ... Hammond and May cannot carry it. Their offshoots were terrible.

The trio made the show regardless of how insulting Clarkson was. The American version is a pile of shit.
screenguy914
Did Clarkson ever think of the ramifications for his co-presenters and production team if he had gone over the edge? Apparently not. Too much self-entitlement may do the show in, but I hope they regroup and carry on. The show wouldn't be the same without Hammond or Mr. Slow either.

Sherwood
somd914
As much as I enjoy TopGear (though not all episodes), I was pleased to see that the BBC cast profits aside and stood up for expecting proper behavior of their employees regardless of who they are. Now if only our professional sports industry and Congress could do the same...

But concur, the show is dead, though other networks have been looking at recruiting the three of them before this incident, so there might be some degree of re-incarnation in the future.
76-914
QUOTE(SLITS @ Mar 25 2015, 12:51 PM) *

The show will die ... Hammond and May cannot carry it. Their offshoots were terrible.

The trio made the show regardless of how insulting Clarkson was. The American version is a pile of shit.

agree.gif Wholeheartedly. However, I am surprised at the comments re: the lack of seriousness. Funny, I never took it seriously. I always thought of it as a modern day Brit version of the 3 Stooges featuring some fine autos. confused24.gif Yes, I too will miss the show.
damesandhotrods
It will be interesting to see what happens to the rest of the BBC’s programing. Top Gear generated an awful lot capital to subsidize the BBC’s other more cultured offerings…
Chris H.
Yeah I love(d) that show. Seen most of them. The magic was in the interaction between them during their adventures. Don't really care what they were doing. Too bad. Hate to judge without hearing the whole story but it sure doesn't sound good.
Johny Blackstain
The chemistry between Clarkson, May & Hammond made the show what it is. The show has been around for a long time but never had the ratings it has now w/ that line up. Time for a ground up rebuild for Top Gear.
aircooledtechguy
I guarantee you have not seen the last of this trio. They WILL be picked-up by some network looking for profits. What's that saying, "Never under-estimate the short term memory of the American public!!" No wait,. . . happy11.gif

Some say he deserved to be canned?? Hell yeah, what took them so long?? stirthepot.gif Some say he was the "star" of the show?? Hell yeah what a foolish question!! stirthepot.gif Some say he a pretentious ass?? Hell yeah, but he was the glue that kept the kaos all together.

He's known as THE JEREMY!! lol-2.gif av-943.gif Love him or hate him, the show will not go on as it did without him.

To those that think the BBC "did the right thing" by looking past profits and firing him over this incident. . . I say pull your head out!! Look how long it took those douche-bags to come to that conclusion. You or I, would have been fired within a New York minute. It's been weeks/months. . . They have been stalling as long as they dare,. . . Their bean-counters went over this with the PR folks from end-to-end. It's a calculated move (read that: roll of the PC dice).

Not the last we've seen of Mr. Clarkson; not by far!! stirthepot.gif
damesandhotrods
They probably could have flown him to LA for 2 months of sensitivity counseling, and worked out a way to save the show. But the BBC had painted itself into a corner with the whole Falkland’s double secret probation spiel. And don’t forget this came on the heels of the BBC being hammered pretty hard over Jimmy Savile…
VaccaRabite
I love the show.
I agree it will kill the show.
And I still think it was the right call, and am surprised they waited so long to make it.

Yeah, he is going to get picked up. Too valuable not to. But BBC had to fire him, and should have done it much sooner.
Zach
OllieG
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Mar 25 2015, 06:27 PM) *

Guess the days of duking it out man to man is over with.

It appears a swollen lip is a trip to the emergency room in the UK.....

No it doesn't…maybe you should put yourself forward to replace Clarkson! biggrin.gif
Mark Henry
QUOTE(DavidSweden @ Mar 25 2015, 03:26 PM) *

Hockey teef.gif
Big Len
QUOTE(DavidSweden @ Mar 25 2015, 03:26 PM) *

QUOTE(Big Len @ Mar 25 2015, 11:06 AM) *

Yes, sack him and ditch the show. I know this may be an unpopular viewpoint but I found the show childish and mostly uninteligent, although I must admit that it did shine sometimes but not often enough for me (maybe I have lived too long in Sweden)

So you'd dump the show even without the fight because you find it "childish" and "unintelligent?"
Glad you're not the one making the decisions for all of us. In the US, we call that censorship. I guess Howard Stern would be toast too. And The Three Stooges.
DBCooper
QUOTE(Big Len @ Mar 26 2015, 07:11 AM) *

So you'd dump the show even without the fight because you find it "childish" and "unintelligent?"
Glad you're not the one making the decisions for all of us. In the US, we call that censorship. I guess Howard Stern would be toast too. And The Three Stooges.

Excellent idea! Get rid of em all, which here in the U.S. we could call "good progress" in raising the national average IQ.

screenguy914
Too much importance is placed on Clarkson as the magic key to Top Gear's success. Clearly, at least half the show was devoted to Hammand and May's segments and the celebrity track segment centered on the the celeb, not Clarkson who was otherwise just an OK interviewer.

It's as if people can only re-imagine the show as blank segments w/o Clarkson book-ended by Hammand and May's segments. BTW, I've found May's own, "Man Lab" series to be both interesting and entertaining.

Clarkson didn't write, direct, film or edit the interesting as well as absurd stories and arrange the lush locales they showed their audience. Clarkson didn't provide the massive production budgets and govt. cooperation the show enjoyed. All those remain intact until further notice. Furthermore, it's produced by BBC, a govt.-sponsored corporation with a budget exceeding $10B/year, not dependent on Chick-Fil a, or Taco-Bell to survive.

And there's no dearth of knowledgeable English car-journalists who could fill Clarkson's shoes and lend another POV (Chris Harris comes to mind). Sure, the show will change due to his departure, but I'm sure there's enough behind-the-scenes Top Gear talent to put on a good show. Clarkson was good but not an irreplacable cog in a good machine. Time will tell.

Even w/o Clarkson, would the US version of Top Gear be even remotely close?
Big Len
Ever watch Two and a Half Men since Charlie Sheen left?

scotty b
QUOTE(Big Len @ Mar 26 2015, 10:26 AM) *

Ever watch Two and a Half Men since Charlie Sheen left?

Nope. It was bad enough with him on it rolleyes.gif
beech4rd
agree.gif
Michael N
It is back!!!!! Amazon already has the first show up of The Grand Tour up. Watching now and very happy. aktion035.gif
Valy
I expected something better.
iwanta914-6
QUOTE(Michael N @ Nov 17 2016, 09:06 PM) *

It is back!!!!! Amazon already has the first show up of The Grand Tour up. Watching now and very happy. aktion035.gif

QUOTE(Valy @ Nov 17 2016, 09:53 PM) *

I expected something better.

I watched last night and it was good to see them again, like an old friend that moved away and then came back.

Unfortunately there are some aspects of TopGear that they could not bring to GrandTour and those will be missed. It's still entertaining and it will only get better from here. I will say a lot seemed forced and at times, even scripted. If you were expecting it to just be TopGear, well it's not. It's a show very similar with the same hosts, but it just has a different feel.
worn
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Mar 25 2015, 06:08 PM) *

I love the show.
I agree it will kill the show.
And I still think it was the right call, and am surprised they waited so long to make it.

Yeah, he is going to get picked up. Too valuable not to. But BBC had to fire him, and should have done it much sooner.
Zach

The best ever was May's segment about the blokiest blokes car ever, the TR6 (which I have one). No drama or reality show hijinks. Just driving and commentary. Also not stuck on politically correct stuff. It was about blokes after all, but not in your face about it either. Jeremy, 'e won't be missed.
Jett
TGT was great for the first episode and we're sure it will continue to get better.

The 918 is amazing!!
GeorgeRud
Lot's of fun on the first show - let's hope for more of the same from this crew! Great cars, offbeat humor, and little political correctness. I just miss the Stig and Sabine!
matthepcat
I just don't know if they can top the reliant robin episode of Top Gear.
Steve
I wonder if they will bring back celebrity drivers or continue to kill them.
matthepcat
Good Question, I hope so. They did introduce the new track.
Nutter965
Just watch the first episode of The Grand Tour ... Awesome and so was the 918 ! As for Top Gear RIP ! Chris Evans sucked Matt Leblanc not bad ...Sabine well she made Evans puke so I'll give her a chance !
Chris914n6
Now that I've seen 2 eps of TGT, I have to say the skits are way too drawn out. It is a car show after all.
falcor75
Yeah I was hoping the new show would be more alike to the old Christmas specials episodes. What we got was something less interesting that the "new Top Gear" pointless explosions and dead famous people.....and the "new stig guy" omg....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.