Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuse confusion. and now it's not starting!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ripper911
My car broke down on the way home, between pushing and jumping in and out I knocked out a number of fuses. It's not the first time this has happened, so they probably weren't right to begin with.

So, what amperage goes where?

1974 1.8ish

IPB Image
r_towle
you soooo lazy

Pelican has the wiring diagrams.....

rich
ripper911
dry.gif
ripper911
I guess I need to find some more 8a fuses.
ripper911
OK, well now I have another problem.

Ever since I changed my ignition switch yesterday the car's been sounding funny when I crank it, i've only driven it to work and lunch since then so hopefully nothing too bad happened during that time.

Now it won't crank, I just letft it at a gas station to work a funeral. I'll head back over to it in a few.

It's going clunk, clunk, (starter turning noise), clunk, cluck, (starter turning noise). It makes me think the battery might be low, but it shouldn't be, it started last night, this morning, at KFC, then wouldn't start at the gas station.

Flywheel? Starter? Something that might gave fried when the ignition switch messed up? I need some ideas.
ripper911
I could try hitting the starter with a hammer, or pulling the ignition switch out and re-installing it since it's still hanging under the dash. The wiring and fuse on the hot start relay look fine.

Maybe I can get a few people to help me push it off to make it home.
scotty b
http://www.autoatlanta.com/service/index.php

hide.gif
ripper911
I guess they re-did their website. laugh.gif

I don't think that George is very happy with me since I walked out and quit without telling him. rolleyes.gif

And I think I owe him $35 dollars.IPB Image
ripper911
OK, well my alternator belt is a bit loose... But I'm still not sure if the charge is the only problem.

I made a video! Listen closely, you can hear the thunk. I'm thinking that maybe the starter isn't getting enough power.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maychdZ0zr4

Whaddayathink?
ThePaintedMan
If it turns over then you have enough juice in the battery for it to run.

Do you have carbs on this car or FI?

Next, pull a plug wire off, place it close to the tin or other grounded metal part and check to see if you have spark while someone turns it over. It sounds like you do, but verify this first.

Next, if it is carbureted, pull the fuel line off, and put it into a cup. Turn the key to run for 2-3 seconds and see if there is any fuel filling the cup.

Spark, fuel, air are all it needs to run. Check those first then report back.
ripper911
Carbs..

Fuel, check! I can see it shooting into the carbs.

Spark... Probably, I'll try to check, I think I just got a helper.
Kansas 914
Sounds like it jumped timing.
ThePaintedMan
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Mar 26 2015, 06:06 PM) *

Sounds like it jumped timing.

agree.gif

Perhaps the dizzy wasn't bolted down or rattled loose. Seen it happen.

On that note, check the cap and see that it hasn't popped off or that the rotor hasn't broken.
ripper911
driving.gif got it home.

But still sounding funny when it starts...

I ended up going in and changing the points because I had them and the ones in there looked bad, I also went through and jiggled a lot of wires and made sure that everything was plugged in. Something that I did got it going.

I'll set the timing, hopefully that'll get it feeling better.
Porschef
QUOTE(ripper911 @ Mar 26 2015, 07:31 PM) *

driving.gif got it home.

I also went through and jiggled a lot of wires and made sure that everything was plugged in. Something that I did got it going.

See? That's the kind of behavior that gives 40+ year old cars a bad reliability rep...
ripper911
How about this?

I go to set the timing, as mentioned earlier my alternator belt is loose, so I use a combination of screwdriver and socket on the fan, find tdc, go to loosen the distributor and break a wire off of the condensor with the wrench. I grab my spare condensor (I don't think it fits, but I'll try ), pull the old one off, and lose both of the screws trying to put the new one on, at least I can see one of them... Then it starts raining.

I'll do it tomorrow. dry.gif
somd914
Agree it sounds odd, but also note your volt meter shows less than 12 V when you turn the ignition on, and it sounds like it is cranking slowly. When my battery is low, it sounds different cranking than when the battery is charged. Just a thought...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.