Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need to ship crated transmission to Norway. Any suggestions?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dr Evil
The crate is a good size and has a few extra parts in it. I am looking for least expensive and any experience as I have never shipped anything this large internationally before. I cant think of a better place to ask smile.gif
Mike Bellis
Use TNT. I shipped my 6 speed from England to SF for $245. You need a pallet and straps. Smallest pallet that fits works best. BTW, the flew it here in 3 days.
Dr Evil
Pallet under the crate? I am sure I can do that. Great tip. I will look into that.
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Mar 25 2015, 07:37 PM) *

Pallet under the crate? I am sure I can do that. Great tip. I will look into that.

Mine arrived with a cardboard doghouse. TNT thought it was damaged. They called before delivering it to my house. I went to inspect it (5 miles from work) and they loaded it in my truck. Only the cardboard was damaged.

You could ship with out a pallet but it sure makes it easier for them to move it with one.
Dr Evil
I can always bolt the pallet to the crate.....I just have to unload the crate again.
bdstone914
If it is a side shift do not have it resting on the shift console. Put a blocl of wood under the center of the trans to lift it up. Fedex broke one i shipped because it was resting on the shift console.
76-914
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Mar 25 2015, 07:19 PM) *

The crate is a good size and has a few extra parts in it. I am looking for least expensive and any experience as I have never shipped anything this large internationally before. I cant think of a better place to ask smile.gif

Just one transmission. You can probably ship it on a very small Ship, eh? evilgrin.gif
Dr Evil
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Mar 26 2015, 08:53 AM) *

If it is a side shift do not have it resting on the shift console. Put a blocl of wood under the center of the trans to lift it up. Fedex broke one i shipped because it was resting on the shift console.

Uh, Bruce, I ship about one a week domestically. I know what you mean. I actually have people remove the console altogether so I dont have to worry about that. If they are not comfortable doing so, then I just have them ship it upside down. Having a lot of spare shift consoles on hand does wonders for stress relief should one break.

The transmission is a 911, though. So, I just have to make sure the shift rod does not go through the crate wink.gif
gandalf_025
Rich Towle shipped a transmission to Europe last year.
I'd ask him..
totle
Hi,
Check out jetcarrier.com
Company owned by Norwegians. Based out of NJ
Mark Henry
Just screw the crate to the small half pallet.
Then using All Round strapping, screw/strap the tranny to the pallet.

I shipped a 930 trans this way. shades.gif

IPB Image
Dr Evil
Already crated and has loose parts. No naked trannies here. The crate must go. Non-negotiable.

I hope to check these resources out this weekend. Thanks for all of the input.
r_towle
Try DHL.

I think we used fedex or ups to ship it, the buyer paid shipping.
It was not cheap.

Easiest for you is the local place, just get some quotes.
DHL is European based, so the do the long haul stuff from the USA to
Europe, then is goes on a truck.

Norway, I would check with Norwegian airlines, see if they will do it.
They will advise you on how to get it to the terminal also.
Downunderman
Try these guys http://ipsparcel.net/
Ken6432
I have to ship a transmission to Spain. What type of crate did you use? Where did you get it?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.