Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Harness sub-belt hoop
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kermit
I didn't want to drill through the bottom of my car, so I got some steel hoops welded to the big cross beam underneath the seat. I called our local Time Trial/DE tech chairperson and he said he is fine with this solution. It feels very sturdy, so I'm pretty happy with the results.

Just to be obsessive and compulsive, I had to tape off the interior to paint it all black.

pic 1 of 2
kermit
pic 2 of 2
Trekkor
great idea!

I'll do it, too.

KT
McMark
Good solution. I'm not a fan of the eyebolts either. Nice job. clap.gif
914werke
Nice & clean!
Hijack: Howard are those OE carpets or whose?
Porsche Rescue
Those look like OE carpets to me. If not, I want to know where too!

Bolted my sub belt with a long bolt front to back through that cross brace. Is that a bad thing?
kermit
Yeah, them are OE carpets, I think I have OE everything, except for the few specially selected performance upgrades.

Jim, I think drilling through the cross beam front to back is actually better than drilling down through it like most people do. This way, you get a pure straight/linear pull from the strap, instead of generating perpendicular torque.

I've also been told that looping around a bar tends to be stronger than bolting through sheetmetal. Don't know if its true, but someone with a lot of racing experience told me.

Of course this is all academic as none of us are ever going to flip our 914s to even utilize that sub-strap. biggrin.gif
VegasRacer
I like it. I would do mine the same way if I had to do it again.
Remmind me when I get to that part of the build on my next car.
Rough_Rider
Brilliant idea, simple. Like it

Pity i don't have a welder!!!
Joe Bob
Looks good....
kermit
I finished installing the 5 pt harness and everything looks really good.

One thing to keep in mind if anyone else ever tries this. Cut the sub belt hoop much lower than I did. All you need is a 1/4" or so to pass the sub strap through.

The issue is that the buckle where the strap gets looped through can actually rub against the opening in the seat, if the hoop is too high.

I happen to sit with the front of the seat tilted upwards, so I still get decent clearance, but for those of you who don't....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.