Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Quick Question --> Type IV engine with no oil fill tube?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
carl07760
I purchased a type IV engine for rebuild and it didnt have an oil fill tube. When i cleaned the block where the oil fill tube should be there isnt the standard stud sticking out the one side of the block or a hole in the other. has anyone every seen this before?

the engine block is type 4 code GA003704
and when i remove the oil filter and release at least 2 quarts of oil came out
cwpeden
Thats because its a 914 engine. Oil goes in the top. You'll notice the dipstick is in a different place too.
Dave_Darling
A GA code motor should be a 2.0 914 motor. The oil fill should be on top, into the breather. Maybe someone replaced the filler with one from a Bus or some such, that doesn't have the filler funnel? The dipstick should be vertical, coming straight up out of the top of the case next to the breather chimney.

See parts 1-6 in the following pic for the oil filler and breather, and #8 for the dipstick:

IPB Image

It sounds like you may have been expecting a Bus type filler, that comes out of the boss on the lower-right of that image above? There isn't room for that in a 914, so the boss is not drilled.

--DD
carl07760
thanks guys... you are so right. i am set

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Mar 27 2015, 10:38 AM) *

A GA code motor should be a 2.0 914 motor. The oil fill should be on top, into the breather. Maybe someone replaced the filler with one from a Bus or some such, that doesn't have the filler funnel? The dipstick should be vertical, coming straight up out of the top of the case next to the breather chimney.

See parts 1-6 in the following pic for the oil filler and breather, and #8 for the dipstick:

IPB Image

It sounds like you may have been expecting a Bus type filler, that comes out of the boss on the lower-right of that image above? There isn't room for that in a 914, so the boss is not drilled.

--DD

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.