Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Mechanics in Knoxville, Tn
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
LuckyPuck
I picked up a '73 914 2.0 yesterday and am looking for a mechanic to do some work on it. I've checked with a few Euro shops but so far none of them will work on anything air cooled.

Normally I'd do most of the work myself but I'd like to get it somewhat up to date maintenance wise so I can enjoy it this summer. It's been sitting over the winter so it basically just needs gone through and freshened up.

any recommendations?

Short term plans are to get it running and driving reliably, then paint/body work..

Long term goal is an occasional driver/ weekend auto-x'er

stevegm
QUOTE(LuckyPuck @ Mar 27 2015, 11:53 AM) *

I picked up a '73 914 2.0 yesterday and am looking for a mechanic to do some work on it. I've checked with a few Euro shops but so far none of them will work on anything air cooled.

Normally I'd do most of the work myself but I'd like to get it somewhat up to date maintenance wise so I can enjoy it this summer. It's been sitting over the winter so it basically just needs gone through and freshened up.

any recommendations?

Short term plans are to get it running and driving reliably, then paint/body work..

Long term goal is an occasional driver/ weekend auto-x'er

Can we see some pictures?
LuckyPuck
QUOTE(stevegm @ Mar 27 2015, 12:01 PM) *

Can we see some pictures?

I'll get some this weekend...

I picked it up yesterday and between losing brakes on the way home and driving into a storm with the top off pictures weren't high on my priorities...lol

It looks like crap right now anyways though, It REALLY needs paint and to ditch the Riviera's
LuckyPuck
I talked to Eurotech in Karns and they are going to go through it and give me recommendations and estimates. They seemed pretty good and had good reviews.

Has anybody had any experience with them?

brooks944
I have a bunch of experience with Eurotech, both with my 914 and Boxster S and nothing but good stuff to say about them. Rick knows what he's doing. Highly recommended.

Bring your new 914 to the Great Porsche Show Off tomorrow!
LuckyPuck
QUOTE(brooks944 @ Mar 27 2015, 03:10 PM) *

I have a bunch of experience with Eurotech, both with my 914 and Boxster S and nothing but good stuff to say about them. Rick knows what he's doing. Highly recommended.

Bring your new 914 to the Great Porsche Show Off tomorrow!

Tomorrow?!? Wish I had brakes... Where is it at?
brooks944
The movie theaters at Turkey Creek. Probably 40 plus cars will be there, look forward to seeing yours. Just went through brake hell for my 914!
poorsche914
My vote is also with Eurotech. Rick knows his stuff.

Come on by the Great Porsche Show Off even without the 914. 10am til 1pm
I will have my Creamsicle there and there may be more 914s show up.
Always good to meet other 914ers.

driving.gif
LuckyPuck
I'll definitely be swinging by, unfortunately in the Equinox though as I don't trust the 914 yet.

I came home from work and my brakes were working. I think the calipers may be dragging and boiling the fluid when it gets hot.
Tenn914
QUOTE(LuckyPuck @ Mar 27 2015, 06:00 PM) *

I'll definitely be swinging by, unfortunately in the Equinox though as I don't trust the 914 yet.

I came home from work and my brakes were working. I think the calipers may be dragging and boiling the fluid when it gets hot.

If you need any help maybe you could ask Claudia or bena to help. LOL
Hello R... This is a good place for help. and check out the octeenerfest info. That is the local show I went to.
LuckyPuck
QUOTE(Tenn914 @ Mar 30 2015, 07:50 AM) *

QUOTE(LuckyPuck @ Mar 27 2015, 06:00 PM) *

If you need any help maybe you could ask Claudia or bena to help. LOL
Hello R... This is a good place for help. and check out the octeenerfest info. That is the local show I went to.

Thanks Paul.. car is at Eurotech. Brakes were definitely dragging. Hopefully it'll be back on the road soon.

i stopped by the meet at Regal this weekend, definitely didnt help me in trying NOT to buy a 911...lol

BK911
Where are you in Knoxville?
I live in lake city and work in oak ridge.
LuckyPuck
QUOTE(BK911 @ Mar 30 2015, 11:07 AM) *

Where are you in Knoxville?
I live in lake city and work in oak ridge.

I Live in Fountain city/Whittle springs and work in West Knox
BK911
Cool, you arent too far from me.
Thinking about having a BBQ soon.

Steve, are you keeping track of the Knoxville contingents?
poorsche914
QUOTE(BK911 @ Mar 30 2015, 11:27 AM) *

They have come and gone over the past couple years.
Currently on the World there are: LuckyPuck in Fountain City, Tenn914 in Seymour (though he just sold his 914 to LuckyPuck - but he has a 944), Brooks944 in Kingston, MBlizzard in Knoxville, me (Seymour) and you (Lake City).
Ryan (not on the board) now has a Boxster. blink.gif
Haudiosolutions recently sold his widebody '71. sad.gif
BritCarJim is still working on his 914. sawzall-smiley.gif
Lost track of any others unsure.gif

We definitely need to have a get-together. Wrench a bit and eat some BBQ chowtime.gif

driving.gif
LuckyPuck
QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Mar 30 2015, 08:46 PM) *

QUOTE(BK911 @ Mar 30 2015, 11:27 AM) *

They have come and gone over the past couple years.
Currently on the World there are: LuckyPuck in Fountain City, Tenn914 in Seymour (though he just sold his 914 to LuckyPuck - but he has a 944), Brooks944 in Kingston, MBlizzard in Knoxville, me (Seymour) and you (Lake City).
Ryan (not on the board) now has a Boxster. blink.gif
Haudiosolutions recently sold his widebody '71. sad.gif
BritCarJim is still working on his 914. sawzall-smiley.gif
Lost track of any others unsure.gif

We definitely need to have a get-together. Wrench a bit and eat some BBQ chowtime.gif

driving.gif

Passed a yellow one on Dutchtown this afternoon. Looked nice.

Hopefully mine will be back on the road one of these days...

LuckyPuck
QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Mar 27 2015, 09:40 PM) *

driving.gif

Rick definitely sounded like he was pretty knowledgeable on them.

Are they usually pretty slow getting to things? I dropped the car off Last Sunday night as I had an appointment Monday. I stopped by there Thursday and they hadn't looked at it yet and I still haven't heard anything. Right now they are just supposed to look at it and give me an estimate but if it's going to take weeks to get an estimate how long is it going to take once we start having to order parts, etc.

Right now it's my only car, at least until I find a good deal on something I want or after the summer, until then it's pretty much two wheels only.

I don't mind waiting but at the same time I've had issues at other shops (a local motorcycle shop had my motorcycle for over a year and took the cops to get back) and I don't want it to get to that point especially when I'm paying a few $K's....
LuckyPuck
Anybody ever deal with Dean's Imports off Central? A few Air Cooled VW guys have recommended them. I might go talk to them if Eurotech can't look at my car soon.
LuckyPuck
The pans have quite a bit of rust. If anybody is interested it will be for sale or trade soon.
BK911
How much? smile.gif
LuckyPuck
$2500 obo..

Runs, needs calipers rebuilt.
Mblizzard
I am in Knoxvile so if you need a hand or an assessment let me know. I have lots of experience (of course with a 914 it is not all good experience) and can give you a fair assessment. PM with your contact info and we can talk.
LuckyPuck
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Apr 14 2015, 07:47 PM) *

I am in Knoxvile so if you need a hand or an assessment let me know. I have lots of experience (of course with a 914 it is not all good experience) and can give you a fair assessment. PM with your contact info and we can talk.

PM Sent
malcolm2
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Apr 14 2015, 06:47 PM) *

I was going to chime in and let you know that Blizzard will show you the light. piratenanner.gif He has been a great resourse for me, for sure. If you are even alittle mechanical, he can save you all the shop time and $ and show you what he knows, so you can do it yourself.

I prefer it that way. Good luck, looking forward to your photos.

Clark
Mt Juliet, TN
LuckyPuck
QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Apr 15 2015, 09:20 AM) *

QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Apr 14 2015, 06:47 PM) *

I was going to chime in and let you know that Blizzard will show you the light. piratenanner.gif He has been a great resourse for me, for sure. If you are even alittle mechanical, he can save you all the shop time and $ and show you what he knows, so you can do it yourself.

I prefer it that way. Good luck, looking forward to your photos.

Clark
Mt Juliet, TN

I posted it in the classifieds with some basic pictures. I'll have to wait till the weather clears to get better ones.

Its got some nice bits (even an old school Blaupunkt) and would be a good driver with a little work.

I wish I had more time but with 2 motorcycle projects waiting, a baby coming soon and no daily driver it's down the priorities a bit. If it doesn't seel it'll go into long term storage until I have time.
malcolm2
QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Mar 27 2015, 08:40 PM) *

driving.gif

Hey Steven, Google got me to the Show Off page, but I am missing something. No date, no location........ Not even a time, like you added.

poorsche914
QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Apr 15 2015, 09:28 AM) *
Hey Steven, Google got me to the Show Off page, but I am missing something. No date, no location........ Not even a time, like you added.

It was the last weekend in March sad.gif
Check out the Region's calendar page for upcoming events. As I have time and info, I add a page with the details for each event.
Next big event is Spring Thing in Greeneville, TN.
Mid-May there is an autocross at Pellissippi State. You should come out to that even if you don't run your car.

steve
driving.gif
LuckyPuck
QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Apr 15 2015, 01:39 PM) *

QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Apr 15 2015, 09:28 AM) *

It was the last weekend in March sad.gif
Check out the Region's calendar page for upcoming events. As I have time and info, I add a page with the details for each event.
Next big event is Spring Thing in Greeneville, TN.
Mid-May there is an autocross at Pellissippi State. You should come out to that even if you don't run your car.

steve
driving.gif

Car is now on Ebay if anyones interested.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.