Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A little caution about slide hammers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
skline
Matt comes over and needs a dent taken out of his hood, so I pull out the stud welder and start pulling it out for him. Not being as careful as I should, I slam the hammer with a LOT of force and got my hand caught where it should not have been This is the carnage about 10 minutes afterwards. I will take another picture of it tomorrow. I can tell you, it hurts like hell.
Mrs. K
Ouch!!!!
I know how much you hate it, but you know what you should do....ICE,ICE,ICE!

Feel better! wub.gif

Lisa wavey.gif
McMark
Yeah, I took a chunk out of my middle finger with a wire wheel on an angle grinder two days ago. Needless to say, it's leather gloves from now on! Ouch! I feel your pain.
skline
My next door neighbors are both in medicine and they told me to put in on ice too. 20 minutes on and ten minutes off, repeat for about an hour or so. They also told me almost my whole hand will be black and blue in a day or so. I am really looking forward to that. I can hardly type, one handed. Got most of the dent out of his hood though. I stopped working on it about 5 minutes after I slammed my hand. We can finish it up later. At least he can open his hood now.

Oh, and I have done the wire wheel thing too, that takes a long time to heal and is extremely painful. Gloves for sure will save you from the pain and the scar.
Mrs. K
QUOTE (skline @ Feb 13 2005, 11:03 PM)
My next door neighbors are both in medicine and they told me to put in on ice too. 20 minutes on and ten minutes off, repeat for about an hour or so. They also told me almost my whole hand will be black and blue in a day or so. I am really looking forward to that. I can hardly type, one handed.

Very good advice! Also keep it elevated...
especially when you go to bed tonight.
Try to keep it up on a pillow. smile.gif

Lisa wub.gif
J P Stein
My hands are so torn up from this kinda shit I wear leather gloves pick my nose. This paint stripping opperation left
me with *only* one black & blue finger nail....I consider this a success.
Gloves is gud
xsboost90
thats merely a flesh wound! I had a nice experience w/ the welder the other day when i was tacking something in place and the wire spooled alittle quicker than i anticipated. Burning finger smells bad..... sad.gif
ablose58
Ouch! I once had a thin carborundum cutting wheel cut through my glove and split my thumb down through the nail and down to the bone, talk about a pain that's gonna linger headbang.gif
Steve Thacker
You just need a little pain displacement. Someone whack Scott on the foot with a ball peen and the sore hand will become a fleeting memory. My dad always used this tactic on me. Trust me it cures whatever pain you have every time. biggrin.gif

Seriously Scott you will not repeat that method again probably in a million years. Once is usually enough to remember to get out the gloves.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE (skline @ Feb 14 2005, 01:03 AM)
I can hardly type, one handed.

You would think that after all the avatars that MikeZ posts, you would have a LOT of practice typing one handed.......... cool_shades.gif
TheCabinetmaker
If you work with your hands its gonna happen sooner or later. I have a thumb and forefinger that have both been surgically reattached. Not much feeling in the thumb anymore. Thank you tablesaw!
iamchappy
I started my crotch on fire last week grinding, watch out for flying sparks. laugh.gif
MattR
Scott's a trooper. He cried for only 10 minutes, then we shot him up full of drugs. He was nice the rest of the night drooley.gif mellow.gif

lol2.gif
skline
Matt, you must have brown eyes, cause you are full of sh#t. I didnt even stop working. Lets see you do it to your hand and see the reaction.
Joe Bob
Ahhhhh, Industrial accidents...gotta love them.

I remember back in High School Auto shop class....we had this semi literate long haired biker type from the local Optimist (orphan) home..all his brain cells didn't stand in line on a regular basis....he was operating a drill press without a hair restraint.....yup you guessed it....the drill gotta hold of it and ripped it out at the roots.....he was lucky not to lose the actual skin of the scalp. I think he later qualified as an honorable mention for the Darwin Awards...

Needless to say he shaved the rest of it off and wore a watch cap the rest of the school year...never saw him again. Prolly doing life at San Quentin.

My dumass move was recent.... while trying to secure some hardyback to a wall with sheet rock screws.... the screw gun slipped out of the screw head and ran thru the first knuckle of my index finger....chipped the bone.....clipped a nerve.....had to get a tetanus shot and the tip of the finger is still numb six months later..... anything short of chain mail would not have stopped that one..... w00t.gif
MattR
Sorry scott, i was just joking.

Thanks again for fucking with my 912.
Demick
Scott. That looks sort of like a blister. Let's see, on your left hand, hmmmmmm. I think Scott's been very lonely lately. Slide hammer? Yeah right!

biggrin.gif Demick
dmenche914
After initially icing, try a warm soak in Epsom salt. It does wonders in calming down the effected nevres that cause pain. Also consider an antiinflamitory like asprin if you can take it, as continued swelling casues more damage and slows healing.

The Epsom salt thing really works.

Also hope you all always wear safety glasses when slide hammering. An extra percaution incase something breaks loose and flies.

fast healing.

dave
Mrs. K
confused24.gif Where is our updated picture of how your hand
looks today? Did any swelling go down?

Lisa smile.gif
Elliot_Cannon
QUOTE (skline @ Feb 14 2005, 08:44 AM)
Matt, you must have brown eyes, cause you are full of sh#t. I didnt even stop working. Lets see you do it to your hand and see the reaction.

Like my old football coach used to say,"It's a long way from your heart kid, you'll be OK, now get back in the game!!"
Cheers, Elliot
Brent
No hair on those palms...sorry, been resisting for an hour now., couldn't hold back.
skline
No pics today, its just a little puffy and sore as hell. Its bruised but the camera can hardly pick it up. Wait a few more days and its should be nice and black and blue. In the mean time, I got lots I can do to the cars. Got some parts today!!
Joe Bob
QUOTE (Mrs. K @ Feb 14 2005, 10:47 AM)
confused24.gif Where is our updated picture of how your hand
looks today? Did any swelling go down?

Lisa smile.gif

Old joke....

Why is (blank) such a lousy lover.....he keeps waiting for the swelling to go down....bada bump....
CaliWRX
I witnessed it. Scott took it like a champ. Matt on the other hand started crying uncontrollably for no reason at all over Sklines accident. We had to slap him around a bit to bring him to his senses.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.