Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Could this part be made from aluminum?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
skline
Since this part seems to be NLA, could it be copied on a CNC machine and made from aluminum and then anodized in black? Just wondering. Other wise you would have to make a mold and then make them one at a time, right?
Brando
I wouldn't think so... maybe with a lot of programming and manually flipping it over and switching tools.

Looks like it'd be 3 pieces all machined. then TIG welded together, holes drilled. that'd be my easiest way of taking it on.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE (Brando @ Feb 14 2005, 02:25 AM)
Looks like it'd be 3 pieces all machined. then TIG welded together, holes drilled. that'd be my easiest way of taking it on.

Too small. It loks like the top piece for the rear window channel in the doors to me.
The only cost effective way IMO would be molded out of plastic or high durometer urethane maybe.
GWN7
Not sure about the CNC machine doing it, but it can be done as Chris mentioned with a compression mold.

My spare parts are buryed under 6' of ice block, so I won't be able to access them for at least another month.
wilchek
i just bought a NOS one from AA. It was expensive at $24 but who else has them. I must admit I was happy with the service. I guess you saw the one on ebay that wnet for a lot and you never know what you are getting. I think it stated "New Old Stock, AS IS" The seems questionable IMHO. But I guess I am bitter as I keep getting burned using ebay.

I could cast a mold of the one I am getting if anyone knows what type of plastic would work to make the piece the correct density.
SirAndy
QUOTE (skline @ Feb 13 2005, 11:17 PM)
could it be copied on a CNC machine and made from aluminum and then anodized in black?

no go. it needs to be flexible. can't make it solid, it would break (or not work right, whichever is worse) ...

cool.gif Andy
Joe Bob
GPR can get them for you if you don't want the stigma of an AA order..... wacko.gif
kkelly
For polyurethanes, see if any local companies sell Smooth-On products. Smooth-On Website They might be able to tell you what compound would work best.
wilchek
I will look into it. I will get my friend who does art sculpture for a living to try and cast the piece. He may know what plastics work best and if it is possible. The web site above is about 45 minutes from my house. That is the supplier he get all of his supplies through, kind of weird.

Any idea of the number of people who would be interested in the piece, and what the price point would need to be. The plastic without any mold costs or clean up would costs about 150.00 a gallon. I would need to sell at least 20 at 10 to recover my costs less my time and effort.
Always Looking
$10 sounds reasonable. I would probably be in for a pair (are left and right the same?). Good luck. clap.gif clap.gif
skline
I was bidding on those ones on Ebay last night. I had bid at the beginning but like I usually do, I bid again in the last 3 seconds and of course, there was no time to bid again. They went for $39.00 but it was for a pair. I should have bid $41.00 and I might have won. Oh well, I am going to look into molding some out of a uerethane and sell them for a little over what it costs to make each one. We are cheap people, we need cheap parts.
skline
They are different for left and right. I do know that.
McMark
I had a thread about this awhile back. Bruce (GWN7) said he could make them in plastic, but needs good samples to start with. If anyone will pony up, we can get them produced pretty quick.

dry.gif
sj914
If someone wants to have these made. I'm in for a pair.
Gint
We just did this thread a few weeks ago.

Whoever can get 'em produced, I'm in for a pair of early units.
redshift
QUOTE (mikez @ Feb 14 2005, 11:24 PM)
GPR can get them for you if you don't want the stigma of an AA order..... wacko.gif

Don't you mean stigmata?

smile.gif

M
solex
Mine are cracked, I would also be in for a pair. Thanks,
Dan
jfort
i need a pair, too. are there different versions depending on the year of the car?
JmuRiz
QUOTE (Racer Chris @ Feb 14 2005, 01:41 AM)
It loks like the top piece for the rear window channel in the doors to me.

Does anyone have a pic of that part on the car, I'm having a hard time visualizing where it should go, ot if I even have it on mine!
wilchek
It looks like this. The driver side and passanger side are different. The passanger one is still easily obtained. I guess they don't break as much, due to less use of the window. I am not sure about the earlier ones (70-72). I think you can still get these fairly easy. Somehow the drivers door (73-76) ones are in short supply for a 30 year old car. I can only imagine what it will be like in 30 more years.
tbil
Would like a pair of the late model ones - think I would pay up to $20 each but 10 to 15 feels reasonable.

SirAndy
yupp, i'd be in for a set of early ones ...

smilie_pokal.gif Andy
914MF
boldblue.gif A set of late ones for me. boldblue.gif
Chris Julian
Add me to the list for a pair.

Chris

skline
Since I didnt win those ones on Ebay, I dont have any to make new ones from so put me down for 2 sets for the 74's.
McMark
Now we just need someone to let us rent them. Anyone want to earn some parts money renting out their door plastics for mold making?
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (McMark @ Feb 15 2005, 12:44 PM)
Now we just need someone to let us rent them. Anyone want to earn some parts money renting out their door plastics for mold making?

i believe i have 2 NOS ones in a bag to put on my car whenevr it gets painted.....
Otmar
I'm in for a pair if someone is so kind to make them.
McMark
Aaron, are you offering?
sj914
I just looked on the bird site for the late ones and it's no longer listed as NLA. So i guess they found a stash somewhere.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (McMark @ Feb 15 2005, 10:14 PM)
Aaron, are you offering?

i bought them NEW from PP 2 years ago.... they ARE somewhere in my garage.... send a recon party wacko.gif if i can find them..yes...we can use them to make molds
McMark
QUOTE (sj914 @ Feb 15 2005, 09:17 PM)
I just looked on the bird site for the late ones and it's no longer listed as NLA. So i guess they found a stash somewhere.

You're right! I just ordered a set. We'll see if it's for real. wink.gif
sj914
I ordered when I saw it, it says the right one ships in a week. I take it that was the one that was NLA for a while.
McMark
The left was the NLA one. Presumably because the drivers side window gets more action. wink.gif
rhodyguy
gpr has a few sets for late model cars in stock.

k
jfort
my car is a 1970 but the doors may be later. how can i tell?
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (jfort @ Feb 17 2005, 02:20 PM)
my car is a 1970 but the doors may be later. how can i tell?

what window winding system does it have? does it have door beams?
McMark
I got my door end cap. Notice the singular form of cap. The left side is backordered. Surprise surprise. Cost me friggin $8 for the one I did get and $7.50 for the padded envelope and a visit from the guy in brown. wacko.gif Anyway, I'll send this end cap to Bruce and he can get a head start.

I wonder if someone inserted the piece into CAD software and then flipped it and then had once cut on a CNC machine. Maybe we could make a mold of that for repro plastic ones. confused24.gif Maybe I'm too far out in left field.
skline
There was a good passenger side one on the parts car Clayton cut up the other day and it was an early door. I think I have a couple for the later doors but they are not new. I will see if I can come up with a set of both types, if I can, they can be used for making the molds.

bd1308
if somebody could get me dimensions for this part, I might be able to so a copy in SolidWorks, and then a teacher here has a few CNC machines at his place....all i need to do is either show him the CAD diagram or send it off to be machined out of whatever....
wilchek
Anyone else find some new one for molds. I finally found a used 73+ drivers side and paid 20.00 for it. We will see what kind of shape it is in to make molds. If it is solid I will try and cast it and then clean it up by hand to get it right. I'll let you all know. I don't have the earlier ones and have not seen one yet so I don't know what it will take to make them. If someone could post a pic I could get a idea.
sj914
QUOTE (McMark @ Feb 24 2005, 08:54 AM)
I got my door end cap. Notice the singular form of cap. The left side is backordered. Surprise surprise. Cost me friggin $8 for the one I did get and $7.50 for the padded envelope and a visit from the guy in brown. wacko.gif

They sent me both sides at the same time. I guess they had a limited amount.
McMark
Remil, can we use them to take molds off of? If so, contact Bruce (GWN7). smilie_pokal.gif
sj914
QUOTE (McMark @ Feb 28 2005, 04:57 PM)
Remil, can we use them to take molds off of? If so, contact Bruce (GWN7). smilie_pokal.gif

To prolong parts availability. I'll be glad to.

scotty b
I have a fairly good, early pass side, and a drivers that MAY be good enough if you need those.
McMark
scotty_B!, can you take a picture of yours?

I'd really like to help make these parts happen. I think there's a real need for good replacements.
scotty b
O.K. Mark I may have typed in haste. I took pics last night but they aren't as good as I rememberd. I have 3 more cars here and 5 more somewhere else as well as several doors so I'm going to see if I have anything better. I will also take these to my machinist Sat and see what he would charge to cut a pair out of aluminum or maybe plastic, then we would have good solid pieces to mold from., Anyway here is what I have right now
scotty b
let me know if you still ned late ones too in case I run across a set
scotty b
last one
MecGen
Hey
Count me in for a pair, 74.
Thanx
Cheers
Joe

beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.