Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A day at the races
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
VegasRacer
After being rained out the 1st day, the Porsche Owners Club took to the road course at the Speedway. It was a joint event with another club. There were over 200 race cars out having fun.

I got to see some old friends, many with new cars. I was disappointed to find only two 914's at the event. I checked back several times durring the day, but I never found either owner. I also never saw either car out on the track.

This original GT car has been discussed before here on the forum.
I am sad to say that it looked better the last time I saw it 2 years ago.
VegasRacer
The other 914 from the weekend. It was a '73 with a /6 of some sort.
Not a street car, but not a fully prepared race car either.
VegasRacer
The guys with money rented garage space.
VegasRacer
Maybe Mike Zois should paint Frank something simple like this? ohmy.gif
VegasRacer
Here is one for Qarl.
VegasRacer
Action shot.
VegasRacer
This Radical would also be fun to drive.
VegasRacer
A tail dragger I wouldn't mind trying out.
VegasRacer
80% of the entries were Porsche's. Lots of tail draggers. More full race Boxsters than I have seen before. A fair amount of 944's and 928's. The other club brought the usual assortment of Vettes, Vipers and Ferraris along with a nice selection of BMW's, Nissans, Mazdas and all the other usual suspects.

Here's another one that put down some fast times.
VegasRacer
I gotta add a shot of my teener. wink.gif

As soon as I got to the track, one person came up and started asking me about my car. He recognised it and called it by the name "1 SLIK 6" (the vanity license plate it always had before I bought it).

Another high point for the day happened on the drive home. I passed a Cyanne in traffic. I noticed in my mirror that they were then working thru traffic to catch up. They pulled along side and rolled down the window. The woman driver gave me the thumbs-up sign and mouthed the words "nice car". A perfect end to a great day.
ablose58
Very nice pics, smilie_pokal.gif looked like alot of fun! AL
Chris914n6
QUOTE (VegasRacer @ Feb 14 2005, 12:01 AM)

As soon as I got to the track, one person came up and started asking me about my car. He recognised it and called it by the name "1 SLIK 6" (the vanity license plate it always had before I bought it).

I just remembered I have the European Car issue with that car and Carls pink one. Articles scanned but not yet uploaded to my site. Let me know if you want it emailed to you.

Chris
VegasRacer
Thanks Chris. After I bought the car I did an all out search and was able to secure a copy of the magazine.
drew365
John, thanks for the pics. I missed this event two years in a row. Next year I'll go for sure.
Brent
QUOTE (Chris914n6 @ Feb 14 2005, 01:16 AM)
I just remembered I have the European Car issue with that car and Carls pink one.

What Issue, number / date?...I might have that one in storage.
xitspd
QUOTE (VegasRacer @ Feb 14 2005, 12:01 AM)

Another high point for the day happened on the drive home. I passed a Cyanne in traffic. I noticed in my mirror that they were then working thru traffic to catch up. They pulled along side and rolled down the window. The woman driver gave me the thumbs-up sign and mouthed the words "nice car". A perfect end to a great day.

John,

Was your car a California car before you bought it?

Dan
VegasRacer
QUOTE (Brent @ Feb 14 2005, 03:39 PM)

My car was on the cover of the February 1992 issue. The caption reads "Swift Sixes".
The article inside is titled "A Pair, Six High".

If you have a copy that you would be willing to sell, please let me know.

No the car was never owned by anyone in California. It was restored and assembled here in Las Vegas. The first owner raced it in the Silver State Classic a few times as well as some Hill Climb events. He sold it to a guy in Ely Nevada who ran it in a couple of open road races in Mexico. That is who I bought it from. Mostly it just sat in storage the past few years. The car was only driven 11K miles in the 12 years since it was put together. I promise it will get a lot more use now that it is in my hands.
xitspd
QUOTE (VegasRacer @ Feb 15 2005, 03:26 AM)
QUOTE (Brent @ Feb 14 2005, 03:39 PM)

My car was on the cover of the February 1992 issue. The caption reads "Swift Sixes".
The article inside is titled "A Pair, Six High".

If you have a copy that you would be willing to sell, please let me know.

No the car was never owned by anyone in California. It was restored and assembled here in Las Vegas. The first owner raced it in the Silver State Classic a few times as well as some Hill Climb events. He sold it to a guy in Ely Nevada who ran it in a couple of open road races in Mexico. That is who I bought it from. Mostly it just sat in storage the past few years. The car was only driven 11K miles in the 12 years since it was put together. I promise it will get a lot more use now that it is in my hands.

Nice car with racing history!
mike_the_man
Thats a beautiful car! Makes me feel funny inside. smile.gif

VegasRacer
Thanks for the positive comments guys. smile.gif
I hope you can make it to the WCC so you can see it in person
(along with the REALLY NICE cars owned by some of the other members here).
Scott Carlberg
Thanks for sharing your pics John. clap.gif

Two things:

I Love the wing on the 914 in the very first pic, that was the wing of choice back in the mid-to-late 80's

"the guys with Money rented garage space"

How can you tell which is which? laugh.gif
I've been to a couple of POC events, seem like ALL the folks there have BIG money, just look at their magazine!
VegasRacer
QUOTE (Scott Carlberg @ Feb 15 2005, 03:15 PM)
I Love the wing on the 914 in the very first pic, that was the wing of choice back in the mid-to-late 80's

You and the owner might be the only 2 people who like that big wing.
I think it looks like icon8.gif . This old thread has some pictures I posted of that same car a year ago. I see there is another teener there with the same wing, so maybe now there are 3 of you who like it. screwy.gif

You are right about most of the POC guys having deep pockets.
I tried to race with them for a couple of years. I knew from the start there was no way I could be competitive when I saw some of the guys in my class unloading from a tow rig that cost more than my house. flipa.gif
Scott Carlberg
Yeah, I remember back in 03 at the Tribute to LeMans event, some guys actually flew in to the event!
ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif
ein 6er
john!!

thanks for the pics and great car!! that was one of my dream cars when that issue came out. i've got that issue as well, great issue, with vern schuppan's 962 cr.

do you still have the 3.0 and the bremteks?

doug
VegasRacer
QUOTE (ein 6er @ Feb 15 2005, 04:28 PM)
do you still have the 3.0 and the bremteks?

Yup. It still has all the original stuff. The 3.0 is really strong.
With only 12K miles on the rebuild it is just barely broken in.

As far as the Bremteks . . . . cool_shades.gif That was the only thing that gave me a bunch of problems when I got the car. They worked fine but they were making all kinds of nasty noises. I did everything I could think of including new wheel bearings, replacing all the lines and the master cylinder. It got better but still not perfect. I even tried to get the calipers rebuilt. They have not made these brakes in several years and none of the many places I talked to can find a seal kit. I ended up cleaning them as best I could and they seem to be much better now. The pads are also a future problem. The ones that are on there now appear to be custom made. There is pleanty of pad left, but I don't know what I am going to do when they have to be replaced. I am afraid I am going to have to get something completely different when the time comes. I know SC calipers will be an easy bolt on replacement. Anybody got any other good ideas?
Mueller
you can have the pads re-covered....I'll look for the company I spoke to last year when I was going to have a batch of custom volvo pads made that would not have any overhang....I want to say about $45 per pair if you supply the backing pads...

can you post pictures of the calipers??

oh yea....you can purchase just the seals and pistons for Brembo calipers incase the parts interchange
drew365
QUOTE (Scott Carlberg @ Feb 15 2005, 04:17 PM)
Yeah, I remember back in 03 at the Tribute to LeMans event, some guys actually flew in to the event!
ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

The Tribute this year will be a California Speedway starting in the late afternoon and finishing in the dark. Should be a good event. I'll be a pit nazi again, I had a minor altercation last year so I'm thinking of wearing a fake fire arm this year to keep the big money in place. biggrin.gif
VegasRacer
QUOTE (drew365 @ Feb 15 2005, 08:07 PM)
I had a minor altercation last year so I'm thinking of wearing a fake fire arm this year to keep the big money in place. biggrin.gif

Just bring this club member with you for protection.
He has bunny ears and a real gun.
What more could you ask for?
user posted image
redshift
Finally, if Andy doesn't reboot, I can say...

I LOVE YOUR CAR.

M
VegasRacer
QUOTE (Mueller @ Feb 15 2005, 04:52 PM)
can you post pictures of the calipers??

Front
VegasRacer
Rear
VegasRacer
Thick pads.

TravisNeff
Firearm protection eh? who gonna protect you from the guy in the bunny ears. As far as I recall (and I was there) he propositioned a young girl to test out his floppies, tried to stuff Malmz in the kid cage in his back seat, once we got to hooters for some beer..... christ!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.