Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is it OK to move car without rear stub axles?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
michael7810
Just wondering. I need to move the car about 100 yards back int the garage to install the engine/trans/axles.
tomrev
Yes, just take care; as you know, the bearings are now loose, so take your time.
SLITS
Install axles first or you will have a hell of time putting them in with the drivetrain installed.

So, you might as well install them to support the bearing while rolling the chassis.
Mike Bellis
Is it the axle and CV's removed or have you removed the stub as well? If the stub is in there and the axle nut is tight, roll it where ever you want. If the stub it out, be very careful.
Cap'n Krusty
Careful-shmareful! DON'T do it. A safe alternative would to be to get a long bolt and a couple of large washers to compress the bearing/hub assembly. Personally, I would just put the stub axles back in and torque 'em down.

The Cap'n
michael7810
Thanks for the info. I was trying to avoid remove the stubs from the CVs and dealing with the mess, gaskets, etc. but is sounds like a small price to pay for not screwing up something else. I'll mount the stubs before moving the car.
My Haynes shows 31 lb ft on the CVs and 217-253 on the stub axle nut. Does that sound right?

Thanks again
Andyrew
Ya, that sounds right. I generally put a 4 foot extension on my breaker bar and tighten it like its a lug nut.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.