Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My Lightweight Project: The Weigh In
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
URY914
I trailered the car down to Sebring for the PCA Club race yesterday. Needless to say it turned a few heads as I was driving around the paddock area. I actually got my wrist slapped by Race Control for doing donuts and power slides. biggrin.gif

Here is a picture of it on the scales. Of course the first words out of they guys mouth was "Where's the rest of it"
URY914
I didn't have a few things installed yet (seatbelts, etc) so I just put them in a box on the floor.

So anyone want to guess???? happy11.gif
URY914
Last picture...
red914
i dunno, 1350?
URY914
I'll let 10 people guess, than I'll give it out.
skline
I looked in all those pictures but didnt see a 914 anywhere. Which 914 were you trying to post?? 1527?
TheCabinetmaker
joea9146
Bleyseng
I guess 1423lb, but if you are the fat guy I know where you could lose more weight!
Joseph Mills
QUOTE (URY914 @ Feb 14 2005, 08:33 AM)
I'll let 10 people guess, than I'll give it out.

1475 and not a gram over biggrin.gif
Jeroen
hey... you forgot to bring the bodywork biggrin.gif

I'm guessing 1414... confused24.gif
URY914
QUOTE (Bleyseng @ Feb 14 2005, 06:42 AM)
I guess 1423lb, but if you are the fat guy I know where you could lose more weight!

I was waiting for someone to say something about the "overweight" (fat) people that they have running the scales. They have never been on a scale but they know how to work them! ohmy.gif

No, I'm not any in of the pictures.
914forme
Paul thats good because I would be a little more concerned of dropping some weight off if you where any of them in the picutre.

Target 914 lbs. It will be an engine tranny with 4 wheels and steering wheel, with a tiny seat.

If you are 1450 lbs you will have done really well so come on fess up.
Joe Bob

Did you run it? dry.gif
smg914
I checked out Paul's car in person down at Sebring yesterday and it was quite a site. I'm telling you, this man is on a mission. I'm anxious to see it when the bodywork is installed and painted. Very cool!
wrpspddrvr
1237?

Cole rocking nana.gif
Randal
1150 or less!
URY914
Drum roll please.........................

smilie_pokal.gif ohmy.gif smile.gif rolleyes.gif laugh.gif wub.gif wacko.gif beer.gif screwy.gif lol2.gif w00t.gif mueba.gif
wrpspddrvr
That's 11! C'mon, let's hear it! boldblue.gif

Cole monkeydance.gif
redshift
smilie_pokal.gif

DOOD! CON GRATSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes!

M
URY914
I still think there is another 30-40 that can still some out.
1. Slicks will save about 5-7 each
2. Lightened flywheel
3. Smaller fuel cell
4. Remove the dustcovers on the front shocks
5. Cout out the passenger side floor (really don't want to do this)
6. Change out my boxed trailing arms for stock ones
7. Change the braided oil lines to rubber
8. Run less oil ohmy.gif
9. Drill more holes rolleyes.gif
10. Remove all the washers from the bolts biggrin.gif

Paul
BigD9146gt
Why not take out the passenger side floor... just skin it with some aluminum. As long as your not looking for any structural strenght out of it... cause aluminum is ~1/3 less weight than steel and ~1/3 the strenght. Just epoxy it in, it'll stay no problem. YOU CAN DO IT!
GWN7
Trim the long lug bolts down?

20 X 5 @ 20g = 2kg (4.4 lbs)
joea9146
Not Bad I came with in 8lbs with My Guess ... What do I win biggrin.gif
URY914
QUOTE (joea9146 @ Feb 14 2005, 09:30 AM)
Not Bad I came with in 8lbs with My Guess ... What do I win biggrin.gif

You win the same thing as last years winner:

A box of used sawzall blades. Congrads!!! beerchug.gif
joea9146
I will PM u my Address.... You are going to take care of the shipping.... Right biggrin.gif
crash914
Ok, but how much with the body work?????
seanery
damn dude thats sweet! I was gonna guess over 1450.
URY914
QUOTE (joea9146 @ Feb 14 2005, 11:20 AM)
I will PM u my Address.... You are going to take care of the shipping.... Right biggrin.gif

You will have send the girl in you avitar to pick up the blades. Give me a few minutes notice when she's coming so I can watch her walk up the sidewalk. happy11.gif
r_towle
i would also add...

loose the aluminum fan shroud and cooling tin

If you are areally nice and promise to be really fast, I will send my fiberglass one down and you can make a mold off of it....but you gotta be quick with the turn around...

I have to swap trannies anyways and it will be out in a week or two for that....then we can play fedex if you want.

Rich
Stutgart46
That's sick Paul. Your car makes the Olsen twins look fat.
How about some more pics from the 48 Hours. This was my first year not to go in like 8 years. It was killing me.
McMark
Cut the top of the center tunnel off and replace with AL. wink.gif Looks pretty cool.
redshift
I think it's funny that the people in the pictures weigh more than the car.

M
Mr.C
How about drilling some holes? My eyes started to hurt, but you get the idea.
redshift
laugh.gif
URY914
What about the women working at the table in the blue shirt. She's got a full shirt herself!
OK, now lets be nice... rolleyes.gif

P
URY914
QUOTE (r_towle @ Feb 14 2005, 02:37 PM)
i would also add...

loose the aluminum fan shroud and cooling tin

If you are areally nice and promise to be really fast, I will send my fiberglass one down and you can make a mold off of it....but you gotta be quick with the turn around...

I have to swap trannies anyways and it will be out in a week or two for that....then we can play fedex if you want.

Rich

I'm going to trim some more of the fan housing. It's already cast aluminum and pretty light. Yea, I could make a f/glass one but the time to weight saving factor doesn't pay off. I'd be working for hours and save 4 pounds. Not worth it.

Paul
URY914
QUOTE (McMark @ Feb 14 2005, 04:22 PM)
Cut the top of the center tunnel off and replace with AL. wink.gif Looks pretty cool.

Mark,
Good idea. One day I'll get a RennShift and I'll clean off the tunnel.
URY914
Two other things I did that saved some weight was I changed the adjustable Tilton brake bias to a simpe "T" fitting. And I changed the heavy cast iron engine bar to a steel one I built from tubing.

I also spoke to a 356 racer at Sebring that told me that he drilled holes in the "hats" of his rotors. I had always thought of this but never spoke to anyone who had done it on stock cast iron rotors. He said he never had a cracking problem. Even if it did crack, the wheel won't come off, and besides I'm on a autox course, not the high banks of Daytona.

I think I'll add it to the list... wink.gif

Paul
Mike T
Paul;

Nice work! clap.gif

Pleeze tell me you recorded the corner weights...

Wow!

Mike T
Joe Bob
Betcha with that light weight...if he takes a major dump after breakfast he has to adjust the weight bias.... cool_shades.gif
BigD9146gt
Sorry to change the subject, but Mike, where might i ask did you get that cute bunny picture? You go a larger one?
Joe Bob
Dunno....been in my collection for awhile....

Someone suggested it was Mrs K.... idea.gif
URY914
QUOTE (Mike T @ Feb 16 2005, 05:19 PM)
Paul;

Nice work! clap.gif

Pleeze tell me you recorded the corner weights...

Wow!

Mike T

Yes I did but its at work. There was about 100 pounds differance between right and left.

I'll post them tomorrow.
URY914
Left front= 303
Right front= 261
left rear = 403
right rear= 348

303 261

403 348

I do have adjustible spring perches in the rear so I can jack it around to get it right.

With weights like this, I could get by with four bathroom scales biggrin.gif

Paul
Curvie Roadlover
When it's parked in the paddock and the breeze picks up, do you use tie-downs?
SteveSr
Hey Paul,

You could fill the tires with Helium biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

SteveSr
machina
QUOTE (URY914 @ Feb 17 2005, 01:02 PM)
Left front= 303
Right front= 261
left rear = 403
right rear= 348

303 261

403 348

your cross weights are very close which is a good thing.

also, you may already be aware but hoosier r compound tires do not have steel belts and are therefore very light. MUCH lighter than khumo's or any other tire that has a steel belt. Just thought about it as an option if you don't want to go with full on race slicks.
URY914
QUOTE (Curvie Roadlover @ Feb 17 2005, 12:17 PM)
When it's parked in the paddock and the breeze picks up, do you use tie-downs?

I tied it down to my trailer, but the trailer is aluminum. sad.gif

URY914
QUOTE (synthesisdv @ Feb 18 2005, 05:38 AM)
QUOTE (URY914 @ Feb 17 2005, 01:02 PM)
Left front= 303
Right front= 261
left rear = 403
right rear= 348

303    261

403    348

your cross weights are very close which is a good thing.

also, you may already be aware but hoosier r compound tires do not have steel belts and are therefore very light. MUCH lighter than khumo's or any other tire that has a steel belt. Just thought about it as an option if you don't want to go with full on race slicks.

Dave,
Do you think that is close enough? Side to side?

Also I need to raise my rear shock mounts which will alow me to lower the rear of the car. As it is now the shocks bottom out if I lower the collar too far. Raising the top will give me more room to lower it.

Paul
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.