Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: help in learning what to look for
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
enf2232
Went to look at 74 1.8l for sale yesterday. Here are photos I took. Please help with comments so I know what to look for. Another member pointed out front end damage that I did not see. I passed based on oil on engine and transmission. Another thread answered question on transmission problem. I know color is not correct. Looked pretty solid with good interior.
Johny Blackstain
welcome.png
The #1 thing to look for is rust. Most commonly under the battery in the engine compartment (aka the hell hole), under the rocker panels in the longitudinals & on the floors (front & rear trunk, passenger compartment). The only thing that can't rust is the roof, because it's made out of fiberglass. You have to ask yourself what you want a 914 for- driving, modifying, concours/showing, etc... This will determine a lot regarding your budget. Good luck & be patient- you'll save a lot if you are.
budk
Oil on the engine and tranny is not unusual but if you are interested in this car you should insist on getting it checked on a frame machine. Front end has obviously had some damage as mentioned.
mepstein
It's rusty and it's been hit. I would pass unless you don't mind a lot of work. To me, it's a $1,500 car but that's just my opinion.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.