Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ranger QuickJack
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
A&P Mech
I am looking at adding a set of Ranger QuickJacks to my garage. I am looking at the Bl-3500. It appears that they cost around 1k.

http://www.bendpak.com/Shop-Equipment/QuickJack/BL-3500.aspx

It looks like they would be easy to store when not in use. Thoughts?
PanelBilly
I've got one. Yes they are easy to move around. I ended up using some blocks under them to lift the car high enough to slide the engine in with the carbs on

Click to view attachment
GaroldShaffer
Price????
Van914
I bought the 3500 series for about $900.
Works very well.
A&P Mech
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Mar 29 2015, 02:09 PM) *

I've got one. Yes they are easy to move around. I ended up using some blocks under them to lift the car high enough to slide the engine in with the carbs on

Will it lift a 914 high enough to roll under the car with a creeper?

QUOTE(Van914 @ Mar 29 2015, 05:01 PM) *

I bought the 3500 series for about $900.
Works very well.

Who did you end up buying yours from?

Would you guys buy it again or is there something else you wish you would have bought instead?

Thanks
Ray
Van914
Bought it direct from their website in December with $150 discount from PRS.
mikesmith
I bought one very early on, and had/have a number of issues with it. Their customer support wasn't very ... supportive so I've mostly just had to deal.

1) It arrived pretty beat-up, with one of the safety supports bent such that it didn't properly engage. After pulling it apart and hitting the pivot bolt a bunch with a hammer it works OK now.

2) The fluid reservoir was punctured (I discovered this after I had emptied half a quart of ATF onto my garage floor...). Bendpak never responded to my request for a replacement, so I fixed it with FG and epoxy.

3) The hydraulic unions seep, so wherever I put the compressor there's always a wet spot on the floor under it.

4) There is very little travel between the point where the safety supports can be engaged and the final limit of travel, so your floor needs to be *very* flat if you want to get the car all the way up and onto the safeties (otherwise you'll get one side up and then it'll stop, so the whole setup starts to twist as you try to get the other side up). I don't normally go all the way up; I put jackstands inside the frame as safeties (front and back).

Overall I'm happy enough with the device; it's compact enough that you can store the jacks in the middle of your parking space and park over them, then pull them out to the sides when you need a lift. The build quality isn't fantastic, but compared to the other compact lifting options I think it's a more solid design.
A&P Mech
Mike, thanks for the heads up on the QuickJack quality and customer support issues. Over the last couple of days I have been pondering the QuickJack purchase and doing a bit of "do diligence" on the net. I ran across a second option for a home lift. I found a small two post lift that will fit in most garages with and eight foot ceiling. http://www.maxjaxusa.com/ This system allows the lift to be unbolted from the floor and stored when it is not in use. The price point is in the 2k range but it would make an engine drop out of a 914 pretty easy. It is a lot less mobile then the QuickJack but it will lift a car four feet. That sure seems like a pretty good trade off.
somd914
Another option:

http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/Mid-Rise...;Mid-Rise-Lifts

Neighbor has one, gets a good bit of use, no issues in a few years.

Though heavy, it is portable, or at least relocatable.

The downside is it doesn't give clear access to the underside, but for a 914 or 911 engine and tranny are exposed and can drop them out. For a front engine car dropping a tranny or exhaust could be difficult due to the obstructions.
PanelBilly
Haven't had any problems with mine so far. It lifts high enough to get under the car, just not enough to roll a /6 under. Light enough to pick up too. Still wish I could stand up under the car, but my garage has a short ceiling. And it easy to share with my brother.
A&P Mech
QUOTE(somd914 @ Apr 3 2015, 03:17 PM) *

Another option:

The downside is it doesn't give clear access to the underside, but for a 914 or 911 engine and tranny are exposed and can drop them out. For a front engine car dropping a tranny or exhaust could be difficult due to the obstructions.

Thanks for link! I really like this scissor lift.

http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/Atlas-Kw...B-Mid-Rise-Lift

It requires no drilling of the garage floor. No posts to door ding the cars in the other bays on. So far this is my favorite option. I like that the lock system allows the lift to be in a safe condition at several different heights.

I am going to order a lift in the next week. Is there any other options that I should concider?

Ray
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(A&P Mech @ Apr 3 2015, 09:29 PM) *

QUOTE(somd914 @ Apr 3 2015, 03:17 PM) *

Another option:

Thanks for link! I really like this scissor lift.

http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/Atlas-Kw...B-Mid-Rise-Lift

It requires no drilling of the garage floor. No posts to door ding the cars in the other bays on. So far this is my favorite option. I like that the lock system allows the lift to be in a safe condition at several different heights.

I am going to order a lift in the next week. Is there any other options that I should concider?

Ray

That is the exact lift I have in my garage. It works great. I have had mine for 4yrs now and use almost every day. The only think I would suggest is maybe putting some thin metal under where the wheel roll when you raise and lower the lift. I didn't and I have marks in the floor where the wheels roll. No big deal for me, but if you have a nice floor something to think about.

It works great for our 914s, I sit on a rolling stool when working under the car. I made the ramps because the AX car sits very low. Stock ride height 914 has no problem clearing the lift.
JRust
Love my mid-rise scissor lift. As Gerald says worst case you may need to ad some ramps. If your car sits low it is a close thing rolling over. Absolutely hands down the best tool I have purchased for my 914. Once you get one you can't go back. All the times I spent contortioning myself, jackstands & jacks headbang.gif . Wish I was smart enough to buy one 15 years ago
gereed75
Save up the few extra bucks and get the mid rise. Throw out your creeper piratenanner.gif and never look back

Best tool ever
A&P Mech
Garold, Thanks for posting the pics! I just placed the order. biggrin.gif

Jamie, I can't wait to stop playing the floor jack/jack stand game. I'm not sure how my car is going to react to being removed from the jack stands. It has become very comfortable on them. dry.gif

Ray
A&P Mech
QUOTE(gereed75 @ Apr 4 2015, 12:12 PM) *

Save up the few extra bucks and get the mid rise. Throw out your creeper piratenanner.gif and never look back

Best tool ever

I just ordered the Atlas TD6MR. It is capable of almost 48" of lift. It appears to be very similar to the lift harbor freight sells. I am not sure if it is the same lift but the idea of working under a harbor freight lift makes me nervous. blink.gif

Ray
Big Len
Garold - What's the removable setion of 2x8 on the ramp for?
rnellums
piratenanner.gif Oh yeah! Your house just became oil change central!
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(A&P Mech @ Apr 4 2015, 10:06 PM) *

QUOTE(gereed75 @ Apr 4 2015, 12:12 PM) *

Best tool ever

I just ordered the Atlas TD6MR. It is capable of almost 48" of lift. It appears to be very similar to the lift harbor freight sells. I am not sure if it is the same lift but the idea of working under a harbor freight lift makes me nervous. blink.gif

Ray

It is not the same lift. You will be very happy with the TD6MR. Great safety features, locks in place as you raise it.
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(Big Len @ Apr 5 2015, 06:41 AM) *

Garold - What's the removable setion of 2x8 on the ramp for?

To have access to move the sliding arms out and into place when I have the race car on the lift.
A&P Mech
After spending the weekend researching the different lift options I decided on a scissor lift. Yesterday morning I received an email from the online merchant stating he could not ship the lift I wanted and I would have to pick it up in Georgia. dry.gif So with just a few mouse clicks the situation was remedied. I switch gears and ordered a MaxJax! http://www.maxjaxusa.com/index.html piratenanner.gif From what I have read it is a pretty good solution. I will post some pictures when it arrives and when I get it installed. No more dead 914 on jack stands! Now my 914 can remain lifeless on a lift. headbang.gif
Chris H.
That looks like a great system. Can't wait to hear what you think of it. The great part is that you can actually move it completely out of the way sometimes.
mepstein
seems like a great solution for our little cars
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.