Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: stereo?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
max72914
Hi, just got a 71 914 for my first car. This is my first post. My car is in pretty good shape considering its been in a garage and hadnt seen the road for just over 30 years. I got it running now, and now am just working on the cosmetics. All im looking to buy now is a stereo. I dont want an overpowering, extremely expensive stereo, but i want something that will fit nicely (without cutting into the doors), and will still sound good too. Ive got a decent amount of money to put into it. Anyways, what are you guys using? Please dont say u dont have one because it ruins the driving experience. Its a cruiser/commuter, not a race car. Thanks!
Lawman_Rich
QUOTE(max72914 @ Mar 29 2015, 12:44 PM) *

Hi, just got a 71 914 for my first car. This is my first post. My car is in pretty good shape considering its been in a garage and hadnt seen the road for just over 30 years. I got it running now, and now am just working on the cosmetics. All im looking to buy now is a stereo. I dont want an overpowering, extremely expensive stereo, but i want something that will fit nicely (without cutting into the doors), and will still sound good too. Ive got a decent amount of money to put into it. Anyways, what are you guys using? Please dont say u dont have one because it ruins the driving experience. Its a cruiser/commuter, not a race car. Thanks!

I would like to know too. I just ripped out crappy system and want something that fits the standard 4X7 hole. Does Blaupunkt Toronto 420 fit a 4X7 hole?
Thanks
Lawman_Rich
Ooops.... Meant to say 2 x 7 hole in my 76
TheCabinetmaker
It's a standard single din. I've got a pioneer sch series, 1000 watt boss amp in the front trunk, 2 -250w kicker 6x8s in the modified stock pods and a 300w 8" sub in front of my custom console. Kicks ass even at 80 with the top off. Yes, I'm in my sixties, and still like my sixties music loud.
max72914
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Mar 29 2015, 01:46 PM) *

It's a standard single din. I've got a pioneer sch series, 1000 watt boss amp in the front trunk, 2 -250w kicker 6x8s in the modified stock pods and a 300w 8" sub in front of my custom console. Kicks ass even at 80 with the top off. Yes, I'm in my sixties, and still like my sixties music loud.

Thats pretty awesome! Im into classic rock too so ill definately look up the stuff youve got, sounds like a good steup
max72914
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Mar 29 2015, 01:46 PM) *

Do you have any pictures?
gfg3
I've got a Blaupunkt CD2001 running through a Jensen JXP680 amp driving 3 Blaupunkt speakers (1 in the center stack, 2 in the kick panels). Maybe a little dated but a great system!

George
TheCabinetmaker
Not sure what to take pics of. Speakers can't be seen, head unit is just a pioneer with removable face, and amp is mounted on the fuel tank firewall. I mostly use the Bluetooth mode on the head unit and play music from my android.
campbellcj
I have stereo Weber 46's and stereo open megaphones...sorry, couldn't resist...nor would I be able to hear it if my car actually had a stereo smile.gif
partwerks
I'd like to replace that junk I have with just something that has, AM/FM, and a port to plug a MP3 player into without using a cord, and fit the opening, without any cutting.
pvollma
QUOTE(partwerks @ Mar 29 2015, 08:09 PM) *

I'd like to replace that junk I have with just something that has, AM/FM, and a port to plug a MP3 player into without using a cord, and fit the opening, without any cutting.

I have a Pioneer DEH-X6600BS, fits right in the opening. AM/FM/CD/USB, with Bluetooth and my SiriusXM Android app I get satellite radio on it, if you have a Bluetooth MP3 player you won't need the cord attachment. Bluetooth also works with the Android phone, of course, so satisfies a hands-free requirement. Supports IPod, too, although I don't have one of those so I can't comment.
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(pvollma @ Mar 29 2015, 07:19 PM) *

I have a Pioneer DEH-X6600BS, fits right in the opening. AM/FM/CD/USB, with Bluetooth and my SiriusXM Android app I get satellite radio on it, if you have a Bluetooth MP3 player you won't need the cord attachment. Bluetooth also works with the Android phone, of course, so satisfies a hands-free requirement. Supports IPod, too, although I don't have one of those so I can't comment.

I misspoke in my earlier post. My pioneer is the dehx6600bt. The sch is the blue tooth connection.
iamchappy
Alpine cd mp3 player with 8" Quart subs driven by Alpine T220 amp, Alpine type R 5 1/4 door driven by head unit and 6.5 kick panel speakers driven by Alpine T240 amp.
somd914
PO installed an Alpine amp and crossovers in a custom panel against the tank bulkhead, custom footwell enclosures for Alpine 6.5" and tweeters, a custom under dash 10" Blaupunkt sub, coupled with an Alpine head in a custom console. I've had the car four years, never use it - listen to the Webers behind my ears. Even with the car lined with Dynamat at speed I have to crank it to the point of not being able to hear traffic or the passenger in order to hear the music well.

I've been wanting to remove the entire system much to the dislike of the PO, but hey, that frees up probably 40-50 lbs.

Yes, I enjoy my music, but I prefer a decent listening environment at home. But for each their own; it's great we have variety.

I can post pics tomorrow to give an idea about the setup since there are numerous options for getting tunes in a teener.
partwerks
QUOTE(pvollma @ Mar 29 2015, 04:19 PM) *

This is what I have been using for the MP3 player:
http://www.amazon.com/iRulu-Digital-Player...rulu+mp3+player
Cuda911
I have the stock Panasonic that the dealer installed when the car was new. Works perfectly! I listed to it all day today on my trip from Palm Springs to Oceanside.

Even have the cassette deck that someone added, probably in the 1970s. The car also came with a Sinatra tape from the 70s! smile.gif:

Porsche930dude
I have a becker europa II in mine but it totally sucks. Probrobly because i need a better antenna but its mostly just for looks at the moment. Iv been thinking about possibly a BLAUPUNKT TORONTO 420 they look good iv heard good things and the price is good
Porsche930dude
here you can barely see the speakers up under the dash one on the passenger side and one I put in up behind the pedals you can see the bottom of it between the gas and brake.
pvollma
QUOTE(partwerks @ Mar 29 2015, 09:04 PM) *

QUOTE(pvollma @ Mar 29 2015, 04:19 PM) *

This is what I have been using for the MP3 player:
http://www.amazon.com/iRulu-Digital-Player...rulu+mp3+player

The Pioneer has a USB port on the front panel, looks like this would plug right in to it. I'd take it to a dealer and make sure it works the way you'd want it to.
Chris914n6
DIN size head units fit well. Depends on how original the interior is if you still have the 2 shaft faceplate. Mines a JVC x50bt mechless. Walked away from CDs years ago. Front AUX input for the phone or mp3 player.

Current 4x6 Infinity Kappa have zero low end so I'm making 6.5" ABS speaker pods. I have 2 Phoenix Gold 8's wait for me to make a box in the pass foot well or center console, or both.

A $100-200 deck will cover all the useful features. 914s are too small for any of the sound altering features.

No 4x6 speaker will sound good if you want a full range. 6.5" in aftermarket pods is the way to go. A deck/amp with bass boost and an 80-40hz cutoff will pretty much maximize volume and fullness. Which speaker brand depends on your ears.

Blaupunkt makes a nice amp that is narrow enough to fit between the seats or inside the console.

Crutchfield.com is a good place to look at stuff. Tend to be pricey though.
mgp4591
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Mar 29 2015, 06:28 PM) *

Alpine cd mp3 player with 8" Quart subs driven by Alpine T220 amp, Alpine type R 5 1/4 door driven by head unit and 6.5 kick panel speakers driven by Alpine T240 amp.

Now that's a quality setup! Do the subs overwhelm you being at that height? And what depth are the enclosures behind those? Just being nosy... and a little jealous!
saigon71
I didn't want anything too flashy and didn't want to install an amp or subwoofer, just wanted a decent system and MP3 capability.

I went with a 24Watt Blaupunkt head unit and 6 1/2 Polk Audio speakers (with morphs speaker pods) in the stock location. Bought the equipment from Crutchfield.

I really like the setup. Sound is fine for me, even with the top off.

Click to view attachment
iamchappy
QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Mar 30 2015, 01:13 AM) *

QUOTE(iamchappy @ Mar 29 2015, 06:28 PM) *

Now that's a quality setup! Do the subs overwhelm you being at that height? And what depth are the enclosures behind those? Just being nosy... and a little jealous!

No, with all the adjustability i have with the headunit with separate treble, bass, fader for door and kick panel speakers, and sudwoofer, easy to dial in the sound, to all the speakers, I could still play around with the amps crossovers and gain but works well enough. Like others have said if you have a loud car to begin with you really have to crank it up especially with the top off. Speaker enclosers are built into the firewall. Sub speakers are the sealed encloser type.
RazorbackFan78
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Mar 29 2015, 07:28 PM) *

Chappy is that a fully-custom back pad behind the seats or did you modify an OE piece? Looks great! I'd like to hear more about it. I think two subs in the backpad hidden behind the seats is a no-brainer!!! Unfortunately, the PO of my car carved two ugly holes in the center of my back pad to make room for two 5.5" speakers. So I'm trying to decide whether or not to save it, or just go all out with something custom.
RazorbackFan78

Chappy is that a fully-custom back pad behind the seats or did you modify an OE piece? Looks great! I'd like to hear more about it. I think two subs in the backpad hidden behind the seats is a no-brainer!!! Unfortunately, the PO of my car carved two ugly holes in the center of my back pad to make room for two 5.5" speakers. So I'm trying to decide whether or not to save it, or just go all out with something custom.
iamchappy
QUOTE(RazorbackFan78 @ Mar 30 2015, 08:39 AM) *

Just a stock backpad that was reupholstered in leather when i did the rest of the interior. Stock backpad sits pretty flush with the firewall i have a thick foam gasket between the back of the speaker - backpad, and the speaker is then screwed into a 1/2" wide ring that i fabricated into the inside lip of the encloser. The enclosers are simply stainless steel mixing bowls tack welded to the firewall and seam sealed. There is plenty of room to go with even a larger sub and they dont interfere with anything in the engine compartment as you can see. I am having a hard time locating the pictures i have of the speaker encloser from the inside without the backpad. Another shot of a sub from another car i had installed subs in this way.
max72914
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Mar 29 2015, 05:28 PM) *

Thats really nice! I might try and buy a center console, and put speakers into the sides and a receiver where on of the gauges would be. I dont have the speaker panels that you screw in, so the old stock ones are sitting there. I may just build a box. Not sure yet
914nola
I'm still running the am, fm, shortwave radio the car came with.
JmuRiz
I currently have an old CD head unit, 4x6 Infinity Kappas in the stock location, build a custom console between the seats with up-firing 3.5". Works pretty well (when I rarely turn it on). I bought a hidden unit and planned on using it along with some 6.5" speaker pods.

I've changed my preferences and have an old Becker Europa II stereo headunit that I will send for rebuilding an an i-pod hookup. I haven't decided on keeping the stock speaker grills or doing the 6.5" ones I've had for years.

Hopefully I'll decide in the next couple years and have a good review.
arsprod
Don't wanna be a zombie but anyone have problems with the depth of modern single din units?
Amphicar770
Becker Traffic Pro from a Boxter. Looks decent and gives me an outdated navigation system!

Click to view attachment
howlndog
... just in case you want to go "all out"

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/build-...14-install.html
arsprod
QUOTE(howlndog @ Jun 2 2015, 02:55 PM) *

... just in case you want to go "all out"

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/build-...14-install.html

It's a PA system with a 914 carrier
euro911
Damn - that's way more than I need aktion035.gif

I installed an Alpine AM/FM/CD player in the 'BB' several years ago. I don't remember what was in it when I acquired it. It already had a set of 6" Pioneer speakers in the doors, and I recently replaced the empty OEM speaker pods with a set of Morph speaker pods with Blaupunkt 6" speakers. Wired them in parallel and it's plenty loud biggrin.gif

I understand it's OLD as far as today's technology goes, but I have a lot of CDs - might as well get my money's worth out of them shades.gif

Click to view attachment

Amphicar770
For those considering the Posrche / Becker TraifficPro GPS unit.

The one challenge is that you need to have a speed pulse sending unit of some sort for the GPS to work. It has to have the signal for initial calibration or it will just keep sending an error message.

The best / easiest approach I have seen is to use the JVC KV-PG1 speed sender. Unfortunately they are out of production and very hard to find. However, right now someone has several of them on evilbay for $20 with shipping. I just picked up two just to have for other older vehicles. I think I paid $75 for the one in my 914 after searching for months.

I have no affiliation with seller, just passing on the info. If you are even thinking about the Traffic Pro, I suggest grabbing one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JVC-KV-PG1-Speed-P...=item25addf94ef
jack20
I'm just finishing the installation of my stereo. While it can't nearly compare with the other posts, I'm happy with the way it came out.
My head unit is a '74 vintage Blaupunkt AM/FM stereo with push buttons and input/output jacks on the rear. On eBay I found a "Kip" input harness made for iPod and plugged it into the input. From the same company I bought another harness for the output to an amp. I found an old ADS four channel amp on eBay and mounted it in the center console.
For the speakers, I bridged the 3rd and 4th channels and am running a pioneer sub in the footwell box I bought from a member vendor. I modified the box so it is completely flush and hidden under the carpet. The fronts are pioneers to be mounted in Mikey914 units that accept round speakers. Currently in the doors,which were cut by a PO. Finally I'm running a Power Acoustik PWM 19 equalizer with sub output which is discretely mounted under the dash on the driver side.
I listen to playlists on my iPod and it sounds great at any speed with the top off. Even my wife raved about it and she is non-plussed by this stuff.
Best of all, other than the speaker pods, it looks 100% stock and didn't cost a ton.
Click to view attachment
mankowski
I have a Kenwood KDC-7003 AM/FM CD that came with the car when I bought it. What I like about it is that the color of the display can be toggled between green and this shade of orange that matches my Tangerine (L21E) paint nearly perfectlyClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment!
EdwardBlume
CDR 220 from a Boxster.
Tburt52359
Unfortunately holes were cut in my door panels for speakers, does anyone have any recommendations for qualities speakers to place in the door panels? Thx
jack20
The choices are endless but you want to match your speakers with what's driving them. I used Pioneer TS-D1702R which matched up well with the output of my amp. Bought them on Amazon for about $75. They sound great and look discreet.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.