Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help me decide... Would you
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nebreitling
so, have a built 2.0 with VERY few miles on it (seriously, you could eat off the insides of this thing. except it would taste like oil. but you get the idea). spark plug holes were giving me grief, finally decided to just pull the heads and send them to the machine shop to fix *for real*.

so i've got the heads off and i'm looking at these beautiful new Mahle 94's and thinking, "as long as i've got the heads off, why don't i just bore the cylinders".

what do i need to do to build the 2056?

-bore cylinders
-lap cylinders/heads
-cc the heads
-recalculate deck height
-slap back together

i got zilch experience with the T4 engine, but does this sound about right?

beerchug.gif n
JoeSharp
Yes.
Joe
Tom Perso
What cam are you running?

Tom
nebreitling
An Elgin cam, one of either 2 models -- PO didn't know:

duration/lift

.280/.333

.288/.333

------

Intake rocker arm ratio = 1.3:1
Exhaust " " " = 1.25:1

----

this cam *wants* a 9.5:1 compression ratio, and was originally designed for increased bore
Mueller
don't forget...re-size the rings

what is the additional cost?

I'm guessing close to $300 min., just for 56cc????

I'd run the piss out of that engine, when it's time for a rebuild, then have the cylinders bored out to 96mm
mharrison
I'd button it back up and enjoy driving while you build the heavy breather.....

my 2 cents..... Free of charge...
mike_the_man
Come on, you know you wanna go bigger! I have nothing really useful to add, but I do like to spend other peoples money! biggrin.gif

What sort of hp gain would you be looking at? Probably pretty minor. Do you think it would be worth it?

Demick
QUOTE (Mueller @ Feb 14 2005, 11:16 AM)
I'd run the piss out of that engine, when it's time for a rebuild, then have the cylinders bored out to 96mm

That could take 10-20 years before it's in need of a rebuild.

So if you want to do it, then go for it. Not difficult while it's apart. But you forgot to mention new pistons and rings.

You might want to look into getting a 96mm p&c kit from Jake Raby or having him bore your cylinders and match them with pistons and rings.

Demick
Tom Perso
Well, if you're in the 9.5:1 neighborhood, leave it as is and like the others said "Run the piss out of it"

If you're lower, get the bigger pistons - that'll help bump up the compression.

"Bump it up to hear it thump"

*THEN* run the piss out of it. No carbon buildup around here!

Later,
Tom
scooter311
Put that monster back together and start tearing up the streets as soon as possible. Do not delay do it NOW NOW NOW NOW. Not driving your car sucks.

In the meantime however, you'll have an opportunity to patiently search for the goodies you'll need to buid it later on. Maybe you'll find a set of carbs, or a 78mm crank, etc etc that you can stash until the time is right.

Like all the stuff I found AFTER I built my 2056. I even found a complete V6 conversion, including tranny, harness and exhaust for half of what I paid to build my T4. I puked.
scruz914
Bolt it back up and drive it! Quickly, before the "while I'm in there" disease gets any stronger.
nebreitling
yeah, obviously pistons and rings would be needed... KB's are pretty damn cheap....

BUT: i think this thread has pushed me in the right direction of just getting my engine back in the car ASAP!!! so i can freaking DRIVE!! (it's only been about 3 or 4 months...)
scooter311
smilie_pokal.gif

save your money, now you'll be needing tires laugh.gif
Mueller
QUOTE (nebreitling @ Feb 14 2005, 01:21 PM)
yeah, obviously pistons and rings would be needed... KB's are pretty damn cheap....

BUT: i think this thread has pushed me in the right direction of just getting my engine back in the car ASAP!!! so i can freaking DRIVE!! (it's only been about 3 or 4 months...)

"what if".....you damage something removing the 94mm pistons???

"what if".....something goes wrong while installing the new 96mm pistons???

you have a proven motor, no worries of rings not seating..etc, etc....

Bleyseng
Have them rebored to 96mm and install some pistons that raise the compression to atleast 8.5to1 and get 5to10hp doing it.

There are always what ifs in life but most of us don't make so many mistakes as you, Mike. haha just kidding.

Geoff
72914S
I pulled a good running 2.0 to put in my `72 and decided "while I was in there" 96 mm pistons,mild cam,HD valve springs,lightened fly wheel,etc.,etc.,etc!Don`t know about a stock 2.0 but I sure do like the way this runs. driving.gif
Brent
Buttoner up and drive er off.
nebreitling
QUOTE (Bleyseng @ Feb 14 2005, 12:54 PM)
Have them rebored to 96mm and install some pistons that raise the compression to atleast 8.5to1 and get 5to10hp doing it.

compression is already pretty damn hot. this is a race-built motor with only a few events on it.
DuckRyder
Put it back in.

driving.gif
Jake Raby
Button it up...

Then start a 2270 project.
Joe Bob
Button it up...build something else....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.