Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 901 Transmission Gear Replacement.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tach
Can I replace a damaged 3rd gear on shaft I with a good used 3rd gear from another used transmission on that shaft I, and keep the original 3rd gear on shaft II or do I have to have change both 3rd gears from shaft 1&II as matching set from a used transmission?

(Basically, can I mix different gears on different shafts from different transmissions).

Thanks, yikes.gif
vintage914racer
QUOTE(tach @ Mar 30 2015, 06:43 AM) *

Can I replace just one damaged gear on the main shaft gear stack, or do I have to replace and the opposite matching gear on the pinion shaft gear stack also? All gears to be used as replacement gear would be from a used transmission and going into a used transmission.

Thanks, yikes.gif

I would imagine that the preferred route is swapping in a matched set. I could be wrong however.

If you need matched gears I have a couple spare stock sets and it looks like we're both in MN.
Bob L.
agree.gif From what I have read, you want to keep matched sets of gears together.
r_towle
yes/no....depends

You cannot do second, so you only swap out one gear for that, the other is part of the shaft...
If first is replaced, its typically just the gear...

Show the damage, that will get you a qualified answer.
If you are willing to post some pictures of the gear set, and wait a day or two, you will get good solid responses from experts that have other day jobs, or are retired...

The best answers come with full disclosure of the issue, and patience to get the experts to log in and look at your pictures.

rich
tach
Bump
r_towle
yes
stownsen914
The best way is to keep matched sets together. I've heard that the main reason for the set matching is to keep gear noise to a minimum. You probably wouldn't damage anything mixing sets. With that said, once you have the trans apart, it's not much additional work to replace both gears ...
oldie914
Why bother since matched gear sets are available and cheap?
That said, I have used mismatched 1st and 2nd gear pairs in 356 transmissions with no problems. Might try a mismatched 4th soon.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.