Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Thinking of selling my 914-6
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WANTED: 914 Cars and Rollers
GulleyGulley
Please move this to the correct forum if I have it posted in the wrong place.

With the prices of Porsches all over the place lately, I've been thinking now may be a good time to sell my 73 sixer. I have no idea where to start to price this. I've seen asking prices from $7500 to $80K.

Signal orange 1973 914 with 1986 3.2 engine (rebuilt top end), tranny by Dr. Evil (limited slip), narrow body car. Zero rust!!!, repro Fuchs, patrick oil cooler & engine mount, stock oil tank, 914-6 rear suspension, 911 front suspension with alloy calipers,
rennshifter, bolt-in roll cage, excellent interior, stock & GTS driver seats.

Engine install and wiring was done by a professional shop. I know what I have into it, so I was thinking mid-30s???

Pic shows cookie cutter wheels. Has repor fuchs on it now
mepstein
Great looking car. I sure wouldn't sellfor less than mid $30's.
thieuster
Did you see prices in Europe... Try this: Mobile

Menno
bobt4945
nice looking 6 conversion glws
carr914
Since you put it in the Classifieds, you are going to have to put a Price on it.
914 iv
Cookie cutters look pretty nice but like fuchs.
billh1963
This looks like a $30k+ car for sure
914outlaw
Need more pictures to be able to tell. If everything else looks as good as that one picture you should be able to get $30K.GLWS
tumamilhem
Lots more detailed pics please.
Cuda911
Personally, I don't care for it when someone calls a conversion a six, without qualifying that it is a conversion.

An original six and a conversion are two completely different things in my book.

Anyway, great-looking car!
HaraPuzo
beautiful conversion! would you mind submitting more photographs?
Cairo94507
That car will sell quickly- well done. GLWTS.
GulleyGulley
"An original six and a conversion are two completely different things in my book."
Mike- it clearly states its a 73, therefore, not an original six. Plus it has a 3.2 in it not a 2.0. That being said, I assumed all would know it's not an original six. It does have some original six parts in the suspension, oil system, gauges, etc.

I've had a lot of PM's & emails asking for more pics and information. I will put together a complete list & pics in the next few days and post a formal FS add.

TC - I think the rollbar is from you.
patrick3000
Very nice car, it would run well ove 30k to build that car today. It is probably much closer to 40k than 30k.

GLWYS
87m491
QUOTE(Cuda911 @ Mar 30 2015, 08:31 PM) *

Personally, I don't care for it when someone calls a conversion a six, without qualifying that it is a conversion. screwy.gif

767driver
PM sent to seller.
Niche
ike- it clearly states its a 73, therefore, not an original six. Plus it has a 3.2 in it not a 2.0. That being said, I assumed all would know it's not an original six. It does have some original six parts in the suspension, oil system, gauges, etc.

I wouldn't have known...
mepstein
QUOTE(Niche @ Apr 3 2015, 12:40 PM) *

ike- it clearly states its a 73, therefore, not an original six. Plus it has a 3.2 in it not a 2.0. That being said, I assumed all would know it's not an original six. It does have some original six parts in the suspension, oil system, gauges, etc.

I wouldn't have known...

I think you would have asked before handing over $30k +.

Do I call my conversion car a 914-4 six? smile.gif

914 iv
I sure wouldn't sell for less than mid $30's. It is probably much closer to $40k. Well after seeing just one photograph i might as well say it's closer to $90,00 what the hell. What i am getting at is seller was asking a serious question on cars worth with one photo and he got the answers from people who should know one photo cannot put a $ on this porsche. I was hoping for more from this forum. I know this one photo is pristine showing very very nice paint finish and cookie cutters look superb with there finish. I may be a new member but have owned 2 356 3 911 1 912 2 914. Sorry but had to vent on instant prices this car is worth with the one photograph.
mepstein
QUOTE(914 iv @ Apr 3 2015, 08:28 PM) *

I sure wouldn't sell for less than mid $30's. It is probably much closer to $40k. Well after seeing just one photograph i might as well say it's closer to $90,00 what the hell. What i am getting at is seller was asking a serious question on cars worth with one photo and he got the answers from people who should know one photo cannot put a $ on this porsche. I was hoping for more from this forum. I know this one photo is pristine showing very very nice paint finish and cookie cutters look superb with there finish. I may be a new member but have owned 2 356 3 911 1 912 2 914. Sorry but had to vent on instant prices this car is worth with the one photograph.

I looked at the photo but also read the description. RIF. It's not enough for a full blown appraisal but the seller asked an opinion. If the seller will take $20k, I'm first in line smile.gif
somd914
I spent a lot of time helping a friend correct the problems from a professional shop who did a conversion for him. I'm not saying the shop who did this work did a poor job, but simply saying it was done by a professional shop w/o mentioning who means little to me.

Also keep in mind the amount invested is not relative to the asking price as one seldom recoups their costs.

To me, I personally wouldn't pay more than mid-20's. In the mid-30 range I'd go for a decent 911SC or 911 Carrera as their they are iconic, have a more refined feel throughout, and prices are escalating and likely will continue to.

My two cents worth...
somd914
So thinking about this some more...

The question to me is what is a comparable '73 1.7 or 2.0 worth? Then how much of a dividend for the engine conversion?

mepstein
QUOTE(somd914 @ Apr 4 2015, 08:44 AM) *

The question to me is what is a comparable '73 1.7 or 2.0 worth? Then how much of a dividend for the engine conversion?

To do a nice 3.2 conversion $15-20k.
somd914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 4 2015, 09:22 AM) *

To do a nice 3.2 conversion $15-20k.

I would agree to properly do a conversion with a 3.2 would be in this range especially if paying a shop to perform the work, but how much return on it is my question?

tumamilhem

I don't think the model year matters anymore after a conversion. Once the engine is changed and the tranny is altered, it makes no difference. The year is just the sticker on the shell at this point. All the shells are the same. What makes the difference between model years is the engine and tranny, save a few minor cosmetics. Once those are no more it's irrelevant. It may as well be a 72 or a 75. No matter. That's why it's best to save the conversions for the regular /4s. Save the /6s and LEs. Keep them original because there's less of them. driving.gif
somd914
QUOTE(tumamilhem @ Apr 4 2015, 11:06 PM) *

I don't think the model year matters anymore after a conversion. Once the engine is changed and the tranny is altered, it makes no difference. The year is just the sticker on the shell at this point. All the shells are the same. What makes the difference between model years is the engine and tranny, save a few minor cosmetics. Once those are no more it's irrelevant. It may as well be a 72 or a 75. No matter. That's why it's best to save the conversions for the regular /4s. Save the /6s and LEs. Keep them original because there's less of them. driving.gif

What I'm really digging at is quantifying the value of the conversion for resale. Therefore in this particular case, what would the value of his '73 conversion be if it were in the same condition but not converted, still with the original 1.7 or 2.0? Then assume $15-20K for a good conversion which seems reasonable if performed by a shop. Take the base value of the non-converted car, then add the premium for the conversion which in most circles would be the conversion cost minus a discount. How large of discount?

But if the market is truly in the mid 30 range or higher for a conversion, great. But it doesn't seem that long ago they were significantly lower.
tumamilhem
Ah. I think once things start being altered and go away for originality, the value decreases. Typically conversions don't go for as much as the work that goes into it because of that. Also, when doing a conversion, it's being done to personal tastes. So some things may be desirable and some things undesirable when it comes to resell. Personally, I don't like modernizing a classic car. If I were to buy a conversion (which I am looking a/o considering having one built), I would want to keep the upgrades tasteful and period-correct. But that's me, my personal tastes. Others like to modernize them, put Subaru engines in them (NARP now for sure), etc. So when it comes to resell, the buying audience gets more narrow the more you change the car and how you change the car. I'm not interested in a V8 slant nose 914 with some crazy, unrecognizable car molding kit. Blech. And for what they want to sell it for, I'm thinking of how much it's going to cost me to make it look like a 914 again. Ergo, conversions are tricky when it comes to reselling. But, there's a market for everything. I was really considering that really nice '75 2.7 /6 conversion that just sold for $22K. I think the price was alright for that conversion if it was done really well. I just couldn't get past the raspberry color.
rnellums
This isn't some Subaru engined CALAMITY biggrin.gif though. Its what seems to me a tastefully modified 914 (i.e. five lug conversion, slight swell to the rear fenders) with one of the penultimate aircooled engines. I agree that modifying the 914 takes away from its originality, but not that it necessarily narrows the audience one can sell to. For instance, I believe this car is attractive to more buyers than a perfectly original concours car would be (although the concours buyers are more likely to justify paying a premium).

I have driven one of these, and I can say with certainty that if you want a car that turns heads at shows, but also gives you a state of pure euphoria while driving, the 3.2 will outperform just about anything out there (particularly with the drive anywhere any time aspect of modern FI).

For me, if the body is in as excellent condition as it appears, I think one could justify 15-20 k for a nice 914 plus 5-10k for the 3.2 conversion package based on the quality of the parts and work.
mepstein
Prices have jumped. Just a nice running 3.2 engine is now $8-10K. It is easy to spend $15-20K on just the conversion parts.
budk
This forum is for selling or buying cars, not for debating what a car is worth. IMHO I wish the moderators would enforce this more often.
mepstein
QUOTE(budk @ Apr 5 2015, 11:07 AM) *

This forum is for selling or buying cars, not for debating what a car is worth. IMHO I wish the moderators would enforce this more often.

you are right, i did not realize this was moved to the classifieds.
tumamilhem
QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 5 2015, 11:50 AM) *

QUOTE(budk @ Apr 5 2015, 11:07 AM) *

you are right, i did not realize this was moved to the classifieds.

Ditto. Apologies. beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.