Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel Gauge and Temp Gauge moves when Headlight On
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ndfrigi
Hi again Teeners,

Can I ask your suggestion(s) on what should I do with my electrical issue.

When I pull the headlight switch, my Fuel gauge arm will move at least 1/4" towards full and on my Oil Temp arm (from center console) will move towards red/warmer side for almost 1/4" also. So what happen is, upon turning the headlight on or park light, I will have additional fuel and oil temp will get hotter.

Thanks again!

Noel

BigFour1973
QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Mar 30 2015, 12:11 PM) *

Hi again Teeners,

Can I ask your suggestion(s) on what should I do with my electrical issue.

When I pull the headlight switch, my Fuel gauge arm will move at least 1/4" towards full and on my Oil Temp arm (from center console) will move towards red/warmer side for almost 1/4" also. So what happen is, upon turning the headlight on or park light, I will have additional fuel and oil temp will get hotter.

Thanks again!

Noel

Twist the dimmer switch on the headlight knob and see if that causes the needle to sway at all.
914Sixer
Check your grounds. You are experiencing a voltage drop.
ndfrigi
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Mar 30 2015, 02:45 PM) *

Check your grounds. You are experiencing a voltage drop.

I replaced the negative/ground cable from body to battery but still the same. Maybe grounds underneath the dash?
914Sixer
Check the headlight grounds in the front trunk.
r_towle
grounds at headlights
grounds at taillights
grounds at relay board
grounds at main fuse box, inner fender, up really high.

There are more, but clean those, it should help.

rich
ndfrigi
Thanks Mark and Rich also! I will try checking those grounds.
jim_hoyland
Mine does the same thing; never figured it out, but if it stops doing it I might suspect a bigger problem coming.... smile.gif
Dave_Darling
Clean EVERY SINGLE CONNECTION in the electrical system. All plugs, all fuse connections, all grounds, battery terminals, etc. Clean and shiny metal is what you want to see.

Be prepared for the problem to come back after six months or a year...

--DD
ndfrigi
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Mar 30 2015, 04:33 PM) *

Mine does the same thing; never figured it out, but if it stops doing it I might suspect a bigger problem coming.... smile.gif

Sir Jim, is it because we have exactly the same 75 1.8 FI copper metallic original color? Hehehe

If in case I figure out the reason, I will let you know.
ndfrigi
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Mar 30 2015, 07:49 PM) *

Clean EVERY SINGLE CONNECTION in the electrical system. All plugs, all fuse connections, all grounds, battery terminals, etc. Clean and shiny metal is what you want to see.

Be prepared for the problem to come back after six months or a year...

--DD

Thanks again Dave! Your always there to give suggestions or comments!

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.