Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A thief among us...at least a 914 parts thief...??
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mueller
so we've been storeing a 914 in the back of my work building for a while, it's not a busy complex (half the spaces are vacant due to the dot.com bust) and traffic should be limited to people that park in the back and delievery people

2 weeks go by and no problem, then one day I get a phone call...."dude, did you borrow the targa top??"

huh?? is my response smile.gif

yep, some a-hole decided to unlatch the targa top and take off with it....so I put a cover on the car and cross my fingers....well hell, a few weeks later and someone stole the battery and some windshield trim headbang.gif

wonder if the targa top ended up on craigslist or did the thief have a 914????

whoever stole it, must have had a 914 at one time, most people don't even know the tops come off or wouldn't know how to remove it..... headbang.gif

Brent
California thieves SUCK! ar15.gif I however did makeoff with a cracked top from a wrecking yard for $5. I got all the haardware plus stuffed some good used seals in the top fabric.
mightyohm
It wasn't me... And I haven't seen any targa tops or windshield trim on CL recently.
bd1308
could be our friend on ebay....look for a $900 dollar targa top in the next couple of days wink.gif really though, that sucks....i'm sorry
lapuwali
Hm. When did this happen? I seem to remember a 914 top on Craigslist 2-3 weeks ago...

Maybe I need to bolt mine down. It never comes off, anyway.
dmenche914
Hidden camera, or lay in waiting and catch the guy, since he seems to come back, he might do it again.

too bad.

skline
Ok, it was me, I just didnt want to pay $25.00 for the one on Ebay so I just drove all the way up there at a cost of $40.00 a tank and it took two tanks to get there and back. I made out like a bandit. biggrin.gif
r_towle
See, there is a benefit of living over here in the East coast..
First, most people dont even know what kind of car the 914 is...
Second, all the owners know each other (a small group)

Rich
bd1308
dude, how can you take the top off if you cant get inside?
mack914
You always steal from your small inner circle, they will never figure it's you. I heard about your car at the... storage area... and knowing you would'nt suspect me I drove in from Ohio ... and made off with your $25 top... Hey!! Why don't you lock your car up????
grantsfo
That sucks. Somone in Santa Cruz took my fuses once. I had parked outside a resturant with the top off and came back to find them all removed. My sense is it was a VW person who knew 914's. That was the weirdest thing to steal. They left my stereo and other things untouched. Or maybe it was a prank?
SirAndy
brad probably "found" it and took it home. he's the only "thief" i know ...

screwy.gif Andy
bd1308
why steal windshield trim? Your gonna F it up when you take it off.....
xsboost90
it was those friggin cats! Yack.gif
Mueller
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Feb 14 2005, 03:50 PM)
brad probably "found" it and took it home. he's the only "thief" i know ...

screwy.gif Andy

i thought about that, but considering it's "sorta" his car, he'd just be stealing from himself, hahahaha

and no people, it was not #4
scruz914
QUOTE (grantsfo @ Feb 14 2005, 03:49 PM)
That sucks. Somone in Santa Cruz took my fuses once. I had parked outside a resturant with the top off and came back to find them all removed. My sense is it was a VW person who knew 914's. That was the weirdest thing to steal. They left my stereo and other things untouched. Or maybe it was a prank?

That was your 914? Sorry man. I needed some cash and ended up selling them as "rare european ceramic fuses for early Love Bugs". Scored big on that sale! laugh.gif
jd74914
Targa Tops are unique things to steal, their kinda cheap. ohmy.gif

Now thats wierd, had to have been a prank, cause noone knows where the panel is but 914 owners, plus, the things are only used in old vw's and porsche's wacko.gif
YksKrad
As someone without a 914, may I ask where the fuse panel is?
I'm a little intrested in buying a 914 this sumer, and prefer to know the odd and ends of the car I want to buy.

BTW as this is my first post here, "Hello!!!"
ws91420
QUOTE (jd74914 @ Feb 14 2005, 08:45 PM)
the things are only used in old vw's and porsche's wacko.gif

Mercedes and other European cars used them as well.
redshift
QUOTE (YksKrad @ Feb 14 2005, 10:40 PM)
As someone without a 914, may I ask where the fuse panel is?
I'm a little intrested in buying a 914 this sumer, and prefer to know the odd and ends of the car I want to buy.

BTW as this is my first post here, "Hello!!!"

Hello! And welcome!

The fuse panel is on the end of your big pointy boot, the one on the right foot... that kicks out fuses.

It's under the dash, steering wheel area.

M
Bleyseng
Yup, I kick off the fuse panel cover darn near every time I get in! stupid location!

Geoff
Mueller
QUOTE (Bleyseng @ Feb 14 2005, 11:05 PM)
Yup, I kick off the fuse panel cover darn near every time I get in! stupid location!

Geoff

last week I kicked the fuse panel while getting out of the car at the store....had to re-install 8 fuses wacko.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.