Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I picked my 914 up this morning
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
thieuster
Right! As per title. Earlier this morning, my good friend Henk (Hank in English) helped me to get the 914 to the workshop. The weather forecast was aweful and we managed to get the car home between two storm fronts. (Last few days we had 70mph storms overhere - today is a little better). So, the car is sheltered now without one single drop on the bonnet!

I put the car on the ramps and started another investigation: I can not believe it's a rust free car. After one hour of searching with a screw driver and a LED lamp, I did manage to find two spots... one in the left lower corner of the driver's door, just behind the rubber there's some dry rust and the other is under the spare wheel: only surface rust.

Again, after removing the rocker panels, things are still okay. Even after looking for the third time! A matter of using a wire wheel, POR15 and a local respray under the spare wheel! The matter of the door needs more attention, I think.

And some 'been there, done that' advise from you guys on how to tackle the door!

I will do those two spots first; the workshop where my car is now, has a two post lift, but there's a Jaguar on it. So I have to wait until the Jag is on its feet again. Then I can move the 914 to the two-post and drop the engine without too much trouble.

Here are two quick camera pics. I have more on my (real) camera, but I have to mover them to my Mac first.

Menno

IPB Image

IPB Image
billh1963
Very nice looking car. I love the clean and simple look.
thieuster
More pics!!

Off we go!
IPB Image

At the seller's:
IPB Image

Brought her home:
IPB Image

Wolfsburg VW Crest!
IPB Image

Rust spot - advise needed!
IPB Image

Quick interior pic:
IPB Image

Okay, let's get that Jag on its wheels!
IPB Image
Big Len
Looks clean. Best of luck.

I can't believe you towed it with a 3 series BMW.
cary
Nice.

Best I can tell the door issue is an inside out kind of rust. Comes from the rain running down the window into the bottom of the door. To confirm you need to take the door panel off to further investigate.

Take a close look at the front trunk seal too.

Beautiful car. Looks like it just came off the showroom floor.
Shadowfax
Nice car! Love the garage too.

QUOTE(Big Len @ Apr 1 2015, 06:29 AM) *

Looks like an E39 5-series maybe?
Cairo94507
Wow piratenanner.gif that is a beautiful car and a nice find. Good luck.
thieuster
QUOTE(Big Len @ Apr 1 2015, 01:29 PM) *

It's a 6cyl 5 series (old, 200K mls on the odometer but still going strong)

M.
r_towle
Remove the door, and remove the inner door panel.
Remove the rubber gasket.

Clean it, use stop rust ( rust encapsulator) then primer and paint.

Look inside the door for lots of rust and clogged drain holes.
Look at the window channels for old worn out rubber and go to 914rubber to replace that on both doors.

I have often drilled additional holes in the bottom of doors to allow them to drain after and not hold as much water.

Get a vacuum inside the door to remove all the debris and clean out those drain holes.
914time
So beautiful!
Johny Blackstain
very pretty
thumb3d.gif
wndsnd
It going to get wet again?

Nice car!
ripper911
Drive it as soon as possible! driving.gif
Kansas 914
Love the TEMP gauge..

Click to view attachment
Cuda911
Very nice!!!

I agree with Cary that you should check that door rust better, since it does look like it originates from the inside.
Chris H.
Great find! Love the VW/Porsche badging with emphasis on the VW...
KELTY360
Doesn't get much better than that. Although, I would love to see those black bumpers painted body color.

Looks like it's been worth the wait. thumb3d.gif
tomeric914
Very nice!
somd914
Nice - both car and garage!
Vysoc
Congratulations on your beautiful car, I dig the trailer too!!!

Vysoc flag.gif
abnrdo
That silver is gorgeous! wub.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.