Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tastefully Modded 1970 -6
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914time
I like it!

https://youtu.be/Z0nvMyPEyOw
rick 918-S
Just proves you have to know someone to get in the club. How did a non-stock 6 with all that disco bling get in with the likes of the factory 8? confused24.gif
scott_in_nh
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Apr 1 2015, 09:56 AM) *

Just proves you have to know someone to get in the club. How did a non-stock 6 with all that disco bling get in with the likes of the factory 8? confused24.gif

This wasn't the concours it was Saturdays Cars & Coffee....
rick 918-S
QUOTE(scott_in_nh @ Apr 1 2015, 09:00 AM) *

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Apr 1 2015, 09:56 AM) *

This wasn't the concours it was Saturdays Cars & Coffee....

Oh, Makes sense now. Too much disco for me but Hey I like it, Just didn't seem to rise to the same bar as the cars that were "permitted to enter" My misunderstanding.
Johny Blackstain
Makes me feel a little less guilty about wanting to mod my six, since I have no idea where my original engine (5211) is, & I already have a moveable passenger seat & flares on mine.
Maltese Falcon
Nice labor-intensive and personally customized 914.
I'm not sure about the wooden cabinetry in the front trunk, but a can of termite spray once a year should handle that idea.gif
Marty
bandjoey
The gas tank cover it a mod I really like. Lots of money in that car and it looks sharp. Bet it drives good too.
Chris Pincetich
Sweet beerchug.gif
Is that guy here on 914world?
One of the best 914 custom stereo set-ups I have seen aktion035.gif
Gustl
does anybody know the VIN idea.gif

I tried to read it from the video, but there's no clear shot ...

somd914
The owner is a good friend and PO of my '73. It's a never ending project and seldom fails to attract attention.

As for modifying it, given it was formerly a race car, numbers matching was history long before he bought it. On an interesting note, I see many cars go from street to race, but not many the other way around. Additionally he launched into this project long before 6s started their upward price progression.

The Eurospec 3.2 provides brisk acceleration, but the 901 tranny, though re-geared, is the limiting factor - 3,800RPM at 80 for 2.5 hrs on the drive back from Amelia to Orlando got old - not a quiet car even with windows up and AC running.

Definitely fun to drive, would like to carve some canyons based on attacking interstate on/off ramps.

No, he is not a player here on the World.

Stereo - long, painful fabrication/install.
914time
Somd914, you should bring him over to the World here.

I like his take on the car. I'd be fun to learn more about it-
thieuster
I like the smooth under bonnet appearance! Something to consider when you're out of ideas to improve your car!. The interior with all the speakers is a little too much for my liking, but that's a matter of (musical) taste.

One thing bugs me: what am I looking at starting around 7:00? there's a red-ish stripe in the RH under corner of the screen. Is it reflection of a red shirt or is it the inside of the door?

Menno
MDG
Nicely done. As a point of interest, those headlight washer jets were also an option up here. I've seen a few cars with them. But i've heard all they do is kind of spit at the headlight, dribble down into the buckets and... promote rust. biggrin.gif
scotty b
QUOTE(MDG @ Apr 1 2015, 09:54 AM) *

spit at the headlight, dribble down into the buckets and... promote rust. biggrin.gif

Drevil does that after a few drinks unsure.gif
GeorgeRud
This car is beautifully done and a lot of fun to see at Amelia. The stereo is a matter of taste, but the rest of the car looks like it could have come from Porsche's Sunderwisch (sp?) program if it was available for the 914s.

The Cars and Coffee event did seem to be pretty much limited to local cars (sorry Eric), and Sunday's Concours was really the best and most unique 914-6s from back in the day.

Sorry for those folks that missed this event, but luckily lots of folks provided pics.
Big Len
Beautiful yes, but did it "grace the greens?" poke.gif
oldschool
piratenanner.gif what you know it I just saw my buddy in the video...look real close now.Click to view attachment
billh1963
QUOTE(oldschool @ Apr 1 2015, 03:54 PM) *

piratenanner.gif what you know it I just saw my buddy in the video...look real close now

I can't see the pants....
pete000
Not a big fan of big HiFi in a 914...

Might have hurt the value of this orig sixer with so many mods...IMHO.
somd914
QUOTE(pete000 @ Apr 1 2015, 05:26 PM) *

Not a big fan of big HiFi in a 914...

Might have hurt the value of this orig sixer with so many mods...IMHO.

But consider that 10 years ago this was a retired race car - stripped down, original engine, tranny, interior, etc. were long gone. This car could easily have wound up in a wall on the track or rusting away forgotten about. Additionally 10 years ago the 6 market wasn't what it has become in the last few years.

But as John always tells me, what good is a car that you can't make your own and drive it regularly to enjoy?

Garland
Mods in general = sad.gif
Mods + 914. = unsure.gif

STOCK = shades.gif
That's what gets my attention.
Personally I say, you need 2. First 1 stock, and 1 to mess with.
MoveQik
QUOTE(Garland @ Apr 1 2015, 03:33 PM) *

Mods + 914. = unsure.gif

STOCK = shades.gif

There are those that would say there isn't much fun in a stock 914 once you have been in a modified one. shades.gif

I would give a left....no, maybe a right nut to have his AC system! beerchug.gif
somd914
QUOTE(Garland @ Apr 1 2015, 06:33 PM) *

Mods + 914. = unsure.gif

STOCK = shades.gif

He had two but sold me his '73 when he was finally ready to get the 6 rolling.

My car has a good bit of mods, and I keep going. Up to a 2056, 911 front end, lots of little things here and there, next is potentially a 2270, my wife wants me to go wide body (the car, not me though I'm heading that way sad.gif ).

My Carrera also is not stock and it too will continue to receive mods.

For me the driving pleasure is far greater than stock for either of them.

But I will admit, I like my mods to be sympathetic with the era.
bigkensteele
It is his car, and he did what he wanted to with it. Good for him, as I plan to do the same. I really like some of his mods a lot, others not so much, but it doesn't matter since it isn't my car. What is apparent is that he put a lot of time, effort, money and thought into it. I hope that my quality of execution can be in the same ballpark.

Mind you, mine is a driver quality '75 1.8, so it can be debated as to whether or not I will be committing any atrocities by modifying it.
MoveQik
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Apr 1 2015, 05:50 PM) *

It is his car, and he did what he wanted to with it. Good for him, as I plan to do the same. I really like some of his mods a lot, others not so much, but it doesn't matter since it isn't my car. What is apparent is that he put a lot of time, effort, money and thought into it. I hope that my quality of execution can be in the same ballpark.

Mind you, mine is a driver quality '75 1.8, so it can be debated as to whether or not I will be committing any atrocities by modifying it.

Totally agree! I started out with the same as you...a 75 1.8. The least collectible of all 914's IMHO. Still, I would guess that many people cringe every time they see some of the stuff I have done to my car. In fact, this weekend I had a guy tell me to my face that I shouldn't have done some of the things I did. As soon as I heard that, I started going through all the other "stupid" mods I have done. happy11.gif
colingreene
How has no one noticed the door on the gas cap is a stupid idea considering the direction it opens.
And who taught them how to work a microphone.
It hears you, you dont have to put it in your mouth.
somd914
For those who might be interested, here a few shots from a few years ago when he first got it on the road.

As for the mod debate, that is like carbs vs FI, religion, and politics. There are aspects of his car I envy, and there aspects of it I personally wouldn't do. But anyone can restore a car to stock as it is not creative - just redo what's already been done and documented. In my mind a stock car is frequently substandard compared to what aftermarket parts can add, and even in industry, each model year frequently gets improvements as the manufacturer learns more or technology improves.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

iamchappy
QUOTE(colingreene @ Apr 1 2015, 10:01 PM) *

How has no one noticed the door on the gas cap is a stupid idea considering the direction it opens.
And who taught them how to work a microphone.
It hears you, you dont have to put it in your mouth.

Well i dont know if it's such a stupid idea as i think having to open the front hood to get to it is.... stirthepot.gif
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Apr 2 2015, 10:05 AM) *

Well i dont know if it's such a stupid idea as i think having to open the front hood to get to it is.... stirthepot.gif

Unlike yours, his opens in the opposite direction so if the magnet fails for some reason, the door opens up & acts like an air brake. biggrin.gif Should be an easy fix to spin & remount 180 deg.
Chris H.
Hey Chap I always wondered...do you get any fuel spillage when you fill the tank with that setup? Around here there's always a lot of excess fuel in the hose when you put the nozzle in... (yeah...there's an easy joke in that sentence somewhere smile.gif).

It's a work of art BTW, but so is the rest of the car.

somd914
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Apr 2 2015, 01:36 PM) *

Hey Chap I always wondered...do you get any fuel spillage when you fill the tank with that setup? Around here there's always a lot of excess fuel in the hose when you put the nozzle in... (yeah...there's an easy joke in that sentence somewhere smile.gif).

It's a work of art BTW, but so is the rest of the car.

My fuel door, opens appropriately. This was the first iteration of John adding a fuel door - significantly different from what he did on his 6.

No issues with fuel spillage, just remember to shake the hose two or three times first, but not more than three... Seriously I always rotate the nozzle upward until it is over the tank.

As for fuel doors, I've encountered a few former owners who have expressed discontent with "ruining" the clean lines of the hood. However, they wouldn't volunteer to crouch under the hood and fill it up for me.

Click to view attachment
iamchappy
No more worries of spillage than the other way under the hood. Easier to keep the hose off the cars fender, and the nossle up till over the filler is how its done, just like if your filling your bike.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Apr 2 2015, 08:03 PM) *

No more worries of spillage than the other way under the hood. Easier to keep the hose off the cars fender, and the nossle up till over the filler is how its done, just like if your filling your bike.

I really like the fuel door. Dave's faces the right way. The car is a nice save from a race car. MY personal preference would be to remove woodworkers project and the interior disco. With an engine like that making that Porsche song who needs the stereo. Guess I'm a little more conservative. The engine is a plus in my book.
mepstein
I would like to see the A/C install.
somd914
The 3.2 with Motronic is a bullet-proof engine, likely one of Porsche's best - hard to argue against it especially when the original 2.0 is long gone.

This is the only 914-6 I've driven and am surprised at the amount of fan noise over my shoulder - certainly something I don't notice in a 911 with the fan further aft.

I'll see if I can get a few A/C photos to post.

Mueller
I like it...a few things I'd do differently but that is what makes us all unique...
bonedoc
Thanks everyone for the comments on my car. I had no idea such a passionate conversion was taking place until somd914 notified me. Guess I should check the forum more often biggrin.gif The car is clearly very personalized, thus I would not expect every aspect to appeal to every person. My goal in this project was to create a car that was true to the fundamentals of the original but customized to my specific tastes. Similar, I believe, in the philosophy that leads Porsche to have a special order department. In the end, for me, this 6 is my dream 914 and believe me, it is one helluva fun driver driving.gif
GeorgeRud
It truly is a nicely done, unique car. It looked like the firewall was slightly bumped to clear the AC compressor, but otherwise things fit nicely.

I had recently heard of electric compressors that may eleviate the AC fitment issues, but they draw 35 amps at 12 volts. If one could be mounted in the front trunk compartment, adding AC to a 914-6 could be a nice installation with much shorter hoses and a cleaner engine compartment.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.