Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Are we supposed to grease the clutch cable?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Steve
Are we supposed to grease the clutch cable?
The web sites say if its a Terry cable than you don't need to grease it. I am also hearing that Terry cables are junk.

What is the consensus on this?

Thanks for the help!!
DRPHIL914
i never have but then it seem sto have a nice coating of oil from the typical slow 914 leaking , kind of like an automatic system! it takes care of itself. av-943.gif
1970 Neun vierzehn
Since I've owned my first (and only) 914 since 1975, I've got a little experience with regard to clutch cable longevity. When I first got my car, in the effort to keep it clean underneath, I kept the cable and pulley squeaky (literally) clean. I think the cable lasted less than a year. Then I bought two OEM cables, figuring I'd probably need to replace these cables on a regular basis. Shortly after replacing the cable, someone in PCA advised me to put grease on the cable/pulley assembly. Since then, every time I get under the car to change oil & filter, I take a few pipe cleaners and a rag and clean the cable and pulley. Then I re-apply some white grease. I'm still on the cable that I replaced back in the mid-70s! And the second cable that I purchased as a "spare" sits on the basement wall with a few other spare parts.

So, my recommendation is to apply some white grease to the cable/pulley assembly point.

Paul
mepstein
Boat trailer grease will last.
GeorgeRud
Don't keep that extra cable in the basement, wrap it carefully around the spare tire (along with an extra trunion and 7mm adjustment nuts. That way, you'll never break your cable, but you might be a lifesaver for another 914 owner!
mskala
This is interesting, not what I would have expected. Since that
cable is out in the open, I would think that having a grease there would
attract all kinds of grit, which would be forced in by the pulley wheel,
shortening its life. You're kinda saying you have the opposite experience.
rjames
QUOTE(mskala @ Apr 1 2015, 07:10 PM) *

This is interesting, not what I would have expected. Since that
cable is out in the open, I would think that having a grease there would
attract all kinds of grit, which would be forced in by the pulley wheel,
shortening its life. You're kinda saying you have the opposite experience.

agree.gif

I don't see any advantages in greasing the cable. I've been using a Terry for the last 7 years without grease without issues and it gets inspected regularly.
Steve
Thanks for the feedback. I have never greased the cables in my 35 years of ownership and I have only replaced a cable once. The manual does state to grease the clutch and accelerator cables.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.