Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Seeking Directions for 914rubber windshield trim install
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
griffindoug
Looking to see what the steps are for the install of the 914 rubber windshield trim (replacing the chrome).

Everyone here says to use Buytl tape to do the install but it seems like they advise using the urethane. I am looking for info from someone that has done the install themselves and what are the proper steps?

Thanks
SA-914
I just paid someone $75 to reinstall cracked glass here in SA. I knew how to do it, but figured for $75 I could learn from the pros. Most glass companies will tell you its against the law to install with butyl because the glass will pop out in an accident. They will try to glue it in with urethane. There has been a lot of talk about the body flex and glueing the glass in might crack it as the body flexes.

The guys showed up, last run of the day, put the rubber on the glass, installed butyl on the glass, popped it in and left....10 minutes max..I was not happy with the quick install and they forgot to bring the primer with them. I called to complain, and the owner said since I talked him down form $150 to $75, butyl included, that's what I got....

I'm still on the fence about the rubber...the lower corners want to flare up. I used some weatherstrip glue to hold it down. The rubber just slides on the glass. Nothing really holding the rubber on the glass. There seems to be a gap under the rubber between the glass edge and the vertical edge of the windshield frame. A section of the rubber slid off of the glass, and I had a hell of a time getting it back on.

I think they used 1/4" butyl. This seemed a bit thin. I think the flat part of the frame where the glass sits is bent inward a hair on one side and the glass does not look like it is attached very well...

To be continued...
SA-914
...continued

I've not driven the car much since install, so I cannot say how well it works.

I could not find any real instructions anywhere. It does seem like the rubber is loose on the glass. Maybe I should have put some butyl in the rubber slot to grab the glass. Maybe the butyl was too thick and the rubber is not being squeezed between the glass and the frame. I think there was a comment that the seal was more decorative, and I would agree, but this does not seem any different than add the chrome. I was just used to the old style of VW rubber, where the rubber holds the glass and frame to provide a tight seal without butyl.

I may end up taking it out and trying to do it myself, to practice for new glass. the butyl is cheap enough to buy again...
nsyr
There is a bead of sticky stuff on the inside channel to help it stay in place on the windshield. The only problem I have had is the bottom corners flaring up. I bought some trim adhesive to fix this.
SA-914
Where did you buy glass?
altitude411
a recent thread w/ additional info... http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=169276
SA-914
I bought my rubber off a fellow 914world member who claimed it came from 914Rubber. It did not have the butyl in the channel. This would have made a difference...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.