Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Side targa roof seals....how to fit them?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
falcor75
I've tried sliding the side targa seals (above the door windows) (new seals from 914 rubber) into the aluminum rails but I cant get them into place. Alone and with plenty of dishwashing liquid+water for lubrication I get about a third of the way. I just had a friend over to help me and together we only managed about 50-60% of the length before it just get too stuck to move.

Any other trick to get them into place? confused24.gif
Cuda911
QUOTE(falcor75 @ Apr 2 2015, 02:12 AM) *

I've tried sliding the side targa seals (new seals from 914 rubber) into the aluminum rails but I cant get them into place. Alone and with plenty of dishwashing liquid+water for lubrication I get about a third of the way. I just had a friend over to help me and together we only managed about 50-60% of the length before it just get too stuck to move.

Any other trick to get them into place? confused24.gif

Are you sure the rails aren't bent or otherwise pinched shut so that they are too narrow? I replaced this seal recently, and it slid right in, with dish soap for lube. I had a #@!&% of a time getting the top seal over the lip, though.

That seems to be what others report, as well.

Do the sides first, then do the top.
falcor75
Doh...maybe I wasnt clear, I meant the seals that go above the door windows and sit in the rails on the targa roof. Editing the first post to be clearer.
jack20
I just installed new rubber on my top and doors. All products from 914 Rubber.
The top rails were the biggest challenge.
I used glycerin for lubrication. When it got stuck I hit it with a rubber mallet then pulled again. I also used a pair if vise grips to pull the rubber. The end will be trimmed off so no worries about damage. Stop pulling just before it's fully seated or the channel will poke through the bevel on the end...
Jack
sb914
If you can have someone push while you pull it, it slides easier,with lots of lube,tends to bind when( s t r e t c h e d )
Steve Snyder
Bearing grease, big pliers and determination.
falcor75
We used a pair of vicegrips today, my friend was pulling and I was pushing, we still only managed a bit over half way..... Dammit these are stubborn. Also managed to tear a piece out of one of the seals. headbang.gif
JimN73
Stretching them isn't good. They will shrink back to original size and be too short.

I used Mark's (Mikey914) process, lay in the outer edge and force the inner edge in the groove with a big screwdriver. The trick I figured out was to rotate the screwdriver a little bit before you push. Then rotate back so the blade is parallel to the slot as you push in. I got about 1/4 inch each time. Use glycerin - I put it in a syringe used for resin and applied as I went along.
falcor75
QUOTE(JimN73 @ Apr 2 2015, 10:07 PM) *

Stretching them isn't good. They will shrink back to original size and be too short.

I used Mark's (Mikey914) process, lay in the outer edge and force the inner edge in the groove with a big screwdriver. The trick I figured out was to rotate the screwdriver a little bit before you push. Then rotate back so the blade is parallel to the slot as you push in. I got about 1/4 inch each time. Use glycerin - I put it in a syringe used for resin and applied as I went along.

Alright, I'll try that strategy tomorrow then. Thanks smile.gif
G e o r g e
QUOTE(JimN73 @ Apr 2 2015, 01:07 PM) *

I just finished doing it this way 2 days ago, slow and steady. it will work.
falcor75
First one done. smile.gif

Can someone please post an image of their door opening, I'd like to see closeups of the joint between the upper and rear targa seal, the upper and front targa seal. and also the inner door seal, where does it start on the A-pillar and where does it end on the B-pillar?
Mikey914
Yes the top seal will "shrink" if you pull it through. There is no way to relieve the tension on the rubber and with time and vibration it will revert to the un-stretched size.

The vertical targa seal just needs to touch the one on the roof. It can be pulled down through. Do compress it from the bottom to relieve the stress from pulling.

If you put the roof on take a piece of painters tape to hold it where it touches. Remove the roof, install and you can do the same on the other side. check the fit before you cut and you can make the bottom land right at the door cap.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.