Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Resurface pressure plate?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
scruz914
I know that it is standard to resurface a flywheel when doing a clutch job. I have never heard of resurfacing a pressure plate though. Is there ever a reason to resurface them? Does it have to do with them being spring loaded?

-Jeff
ArtechnikA
replace them.

if they are to be returned to service, the surface should be scuffed to allow the clutch disk to wear in - much like a brake disk.
dmenche914
i have always replaced pressure plate and friction discs as a unit. The "fingers" on the pressure plate wear at the point that the throw out bearing presses., and considering the labor to replace a bad clucth, never thought it was economical to only replace the t=friction disc, unless you have a new clutch, that mneeds replacing for say a main seal leak that oil soaked the friction material on a low miles unit.

I always scuff up the flywheel, and new pressure plate a bit, as other poster mentioned. Be sure before install to remove any preservative coating or greases with a thinner wipe down.

Jake Raby
Yep..., its a wear part that can't be rebuilt.

I have 3 in stock.
scruz914
Thanks for your responses. My clutch disk and pressure plate are currently in real good shape. PO had replaced them just before I bought the car. My question was just from looking at the pressure plate and wondering about it for the future.

-Jeff
ArtechnikA
if it's good, re-use them, but don't take any more life out of it by machining away the seating surface. i've reused pressure plates that did not have a lot of time on them.

(i don't believe in turning / grinding brake rotors either. minor grooves are not a problem, and major grooves are cause for replacement...)
DJsRepS
I broke the glaze with a drill and a weird grinding wheel. It was like a black spungy 1/2" thick pad. I did flywheel and pressure plate. It made a nice pattern broke the glaze and no chatter when back together. Old disk soaked in tranny oil and slipping.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.