Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: White taillight gaskets
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Doug Leggins
All of the old white taillight gaskets that I have removed from lenses were glued together so that it made a continuous gasket. The new gaskets that i bought are not glued together. huh.gif Looks to me that they need to be glued together to prevent a gap from forming.

Should the ends be glued together? What adhesive works well?
anderssj
Not sure . . . maybe clear or white silicone? The gaskets look great--where did you get them?

aircooledboy
3M weatherstrip adhesive, from any FLAPS beerchug.gif
GWN7
Dry fit them to see if they need to be trimmed first. Then glue them.
Doug Leggins
I got the gaskets from GPR - great vendor!

I did dry fit the gaskets. they were actually a little short. A bit of light pulling made them more than long enough. If they were too long I would have considered not using an adhesive and just butt them end to end. But with the need to stretch them a little to get to reach all the way around I'm thinking that they will want to shrink back to their original shorter length. The correct adhesive should be able to hold the ends in place and not create a gap. Just need to find the correct adhesive.
GWN7
Without seeing/holding them I would guess white silicon. Dab it on the ends, stick them together, lay on a flat surface for 24 hrs (or longer depending on temp/humidity)
SirAndy
QUOTE (Doug Leggins @ Feb 14 2005, 07:10 PM)
they were actually a little short

sounds just like the original porsche seals. they needed to be stretched a bit also.
i agree with the others, any good silicon glue should do it ...

smilie_pokal.gif Andy
Gint
Hey Doug,

Saw this on Street Rodder The guy joined a rubber hose and even cut fan belt ends. Pretty amazing stuff.

http://www.coolchem.com/
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.