Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Strange Noise
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rhodes71/914
Another of many questions to come as I try to get my 2.0L tuned after new rings.

Engine was tore down to removing P/Cs but case not split. New rings then put back together.

Got it started up today and it sounded like it had an exhaust leak. Checked all the new copper nuts on the exhaust studs and they are all thight.

With engine running I felt around the exhaust areas and can't feel the puff puff that usually accompanies an exhaust leak.

I am using 1.7 HEs on 2.0 heads with new 2.0 exhaust gaskets.

Sounds like it is coming from both sides of the engine.

I'll try to post a sound file later tonight.

edit - Dwell is set, timing is not yet.

Oh and please forgive my earlier tach question, I had a major brain fart, a little over excited I think.
Rhodes71/914
Take a listen

Chuga chuga chuga
Aaron Cox
not a good sound......
Jake Raby
Possibly a head leak.

were the heads surfaced? Were the cylinders lapped into the heads?
Rhodes71/914
Head leak was my guess as well.

Heads were not surfaced just cleaned. Cylinders were not laped to heads by recomendation of where I got the engine. I think this is the problem. I removed the gaskets and did not lap.

Bad idea, guess I'll get some more practice pulling the engine and breaking it back down. headbang.gif

Allan
That sucks having to pull the engine and tear off the top-end again. I lapped mine even though everything was new. Didn't take that much work. Just got some valve grinding compound, smeared a little on the top of the cylinder, stuck it in the head where it would go and just rotated it back and forth, occasionally turning it 45 degrees or so. After 5 minutes or so I just gave it a few good spins to make sure everything was flat and cleaned them up. That valve grinding compund it pretty abrasive so make sure you clean everything up with water and clean rags.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.