Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: /6 alternator wiring help needed
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tornik550
I am getting close to the point where I will be starting my /6 rebuild. When I installed the fan/alternator- I just put it in with the wiring the same as from the previous owner. Before starting, I figured that I probably should check to see if it is correct. I took a picture with a bore scope. The wiring from the PO is different from the reference pictures that I found online. Will this setup work? I would change it to the way the reference pictures show however it is installed and I would prefer not to drop the engine. It is a SEV Motorola alternator.

Sorry about the picture- it's as good as I could get from a bore scope.
tornik550
The current setup (the letters correspond to the posts/plug on the alternator)
A- Black wire
B- Brown wire
C- empty
D- 2 red wires- one large and one small gauge
E- Blue wire
F- empty
PanelBilly
I took a photo of my wiring before it put the schroud on. When I get home later today, I'll post it
Maltese Falcon
Black, D-
Blue, Df (field)
Brown, neg.ground
should all go to your voltage regulator, which lives on your engine compartment circuit board.
Red, B+ is battery +12v.
Chilton repair book should have the layout for the voltage regulator, so you can cross reference the 3 connectors under the regulator to the black, blue, brown.
Marty
tornik550
It seems clear that the alternator was improperly hooked up. I was able to get it out and I am going to re-wire it.

Does anyone know why it would have been hooked up the way it was (other than just an error on the PO's part)?
PanelBilly
Here's mine

Click to view attachment
tornik550
Thank you for the picture.

Are the cones/air guide that attaches to the back of the alternator necessary?
tornik550
Thank you for the picture.

Are the cones/air guide that attaches to the back of the alternator necessary?
PanelBilly
I think so. They direct the cooling air over the top of the engine
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.