Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tucson, AZ 914 Owners?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
FMD
Hey there, just registered recently. I normally wouldn't consider owning a 914 under normal circumstances. However, I've been noticing this super-hot black wide-body 914 drooley.gif that one of my neighbors owns and it got me thinking about the car more and more. After looking up the car a bit and finding this group, I'm somewhat intrigued by the potential that the car may posess. Though the thing is, I haven't actually been able to get up close and personal with the car other than walking in the general vicinity of my neighbor's car. I'm still trying to get a hold of him to discuss his experiences and if he can show me around the car but I'm wondering if there are any other owners in the area that can give me the lowdown and answer any questions I may have.

I'm also wondering if there are any enthusiast owners who may be able to answer my questions regarding the car's performance potential; ie, does the car really handle as well as everyone is saying in stock or modified trim and can the car compare to the handling of today's sports cars (of course weight is going to play a role)? Is the car reliable in the least? How competitive is the car (probably looking at nothing less or more than a 2.0) against other cars in its class (autocross), the 1999 miatas and the like, any chance? cool.gif smilie_flagge24.gif
AZ914
FMD,

Welcome!! You should definitely get one.. They are fun to drive and we need some more southern AZ 914ers!

There are at least 3 'active' members here from Tucson though I'm sure there are some more lurkers out there.

Anyone here can give you the info you are looking for regarding performance potential, realiability, etc. I personally do not do autocross but the 914 is highly competitve. In stock form, it handles well. With some slight improvements (shocks, sway bars, etc.) it can outhandle most of whats on the road today.

If you just need some general info on 914's as in what years to look for, how to shop for one, what options are available, etc, etc. just post a general question thread or feel free to PM me with you phone number. I'd be glad to answer any questions I can.
FMD
Sounds good!

icon_bump.gif for the day krew.
Hi_Fi_Guy
If you can make it out to Targa-Aid Classic 2005 (SHAMELESS PLUG!), in the Phoenix, AZ area on February 27th, I'm sure many owners would spend hours showing you their 914s, talking to you about their cars, and even take you for a ride or two.

This would allow you to see a variety of 914s in different states of originality and tune. Also, you can get a feeling for what maintenance you can do yourself, what shops are trustworthy, etc. We're a friendly bunch and are always looking for any excuse to show off our cars or talk about them some more.

Come out for the fun, food, and prizes.

http://www.targa-aid.org/targa/
Hi_Fi_Guy
Also, 914s CAN be very competitive at auto-x. SCCA sort has the rules set up to discriminate but unless you are trying to get to nationals you can have a lot of fun and do very well with a stock-ish car.

I was at an SCCA auto-x last weekend where top time of the day was set by a Mazdaspeed Protege against Miatas, a new Lotus, a new Viper, a bunch of Vettes, a ton of WRX STIs, 911s, Boxsters, etc.. So driver skill has a lot to do with it not just the car.

Inour local PCA autocross 914s and Boxsters often take TTotD.
FMD
Hmm, that sounds like a good deal. I'll have to see if I can make my way up there, but I don't have either of those cars unsure.gif, kinda awkward.
Flat VW
THREAD HI-JACK!! pirate.gif

Hi-Fi Guy,

Is it gonna rain on the 27th? mueba.gif mueba.gif

Does that "green machine" ever leave the garage on "rain days"? burnout.gif
FMD
What about structural reinforcements (rust-proofing and stiffening perhaps) and the like, how are they viewed in classing the car as stock, or are these things technically not legal. Which is why I'd imagine that unless the car be in pristine (unworn) condition, being nationally competitive with the 99 miatas would seem pretty hard.
Hi_Fi_Guy
QUOTE (FMD @ Feb 16 2005, 08:28 AM)
Hmm, that sounds like a good deal. I'll have to see if I can make my way up there, but I don't have either of those cars unsure.gif, kinda awkward.

Go ahead and register and come on out for the fun. All cars are welcome and I would be willing to bet we can get someone here who is coming solo to let you ride shotgun for the day. Any volunteers?

And it better not rain but if it does my 914 will run in the rain even if I cringe at first. Once we hit the twisty roads I'll be all smiles (even at rain safe speeds).

Sorry for hijacking the thread, seriously though, you won't get a better opportunity to see a bunch of 914s anytime soon.
Hi_Fi_Guy
QUOTE (FMD @ Feb 16 2005, 08:33 AM)
What about structural reinforcements (rust-proofing and stiffening perhaps) and the like, how are they viewed in classing the car as stock, or are these things technically not legal. Which is why I'd imagine that unless the car be in pristine (unworn) condition, being nationally competitive with the 99 miatas would seem pretty hard.

Yes, being seriously competitive on a national level in SCCA would take a very thourough interpretation of the rules. I'm not saying it can not be done but I do feel the SCCA rules do not favor 914s. Of course this is mainly because 914s are so good they sort of have to build the rules in away to allow other cars to have the advantage. IMHO.
FMD
QUOTE (Hi_Fi_Guy @ Feb 16 2005, 08:46 AM)
Hmm, that sounds like a good deal.  I'll have to see if I can make my way up there, but I don't have either of those cars unsure.gif, kinda awkward.

Go ahead and register and come on out for the fun. All cars are welcome and I would be willing to bet we can get someone here who is coming solo to let you ride shotgun for the day. Any volunteers?

And it better not rain but if it does my 914 will run in the rain even if I cringe at first. Once we hit the twisty roads I'll be all smiles (even at rain safe speeds).

Sorry for hijacking the thread, seriously though, you won't get a better opportunity to see a bunch of 914s anytime soon.

Sounds good, and if I can ride up with someone.. Even better! Now you're making me want one, I'll know for sure after I get to check them out in person. Seems like 90% of the trouble is going to be in actually trying to find one for sale that is in nice working order and rust-free, etc. What's the aftermarket for the car like? Expensive for simple parts and consumables? Is trying to find parts like konis, swaybars, etc. going to be like looking for a needle in a haystack?

blink.gif
FMD
That is what I like to hear. Do you mind providing information on how your car is set-up in C-stock?
rhodyguy
spend some time looking in the classifieds here. it will give you an idea of the range you might expect to spend, and the level of "already dones". do you want to plug and play or plug away?

k
FMD
Ideally, I'd like a plug and play car to minimize the amount of plugging I'd have to perform until a later date..
Hi_Fi_Guy
QUOTE (Paul Heery @ Feb 16 2005, 05:01 PM)
I have to somewhat disagree with the Hi Fi Guy.  :D  I run my 914 in SCCA C-Stock. It's me, the 1.8L Miatas and the occasional MR2. But mostly, it's me against the Miatas. Being a stock class, it is as pure a competition as you can get. The competition is great and I've won my class a few times. But, I've never felt that I lost because my car was unfairly classed. I've lost because I missed a braking point, went in too hot, or hit 4th instead of 2nd. But, the 914 against the Miatas is not unfair.  In my experience, the difference has been the drivers. That's how it should be.

I actually agree with you! What I should have said earlier is that I have never competed beyond local events in Autocross. People in Porsche magazines who have competed at a national level have complained that the rules were against them. Sour grapes or real issues? I honestly do not know as I have never been to nationals myself.

The 914 has shown itself to be competitive over and over again so only someone who is running a 914 at nationals would know for sure if the rules are holding them back or not.

Thanks for posting and making me realize I should clarify my own statement.
Hi_Fi_Guy
QUOTE (FMD @ Feb 16 2005, 04:01 PM)
Sounds good, and if I can ride up with someone

So how about it. Any 914 owners out there coming to Targa-Aid Classic 2005 and have room for a passenger? Show off that 914 and make a new friend.
914GT
QUOTE (Hi_Fi_Guy @ Feb 17 2005, 08:41 AM)
QUOTE (FMD @ Feb 16 2005, 04:01 PM)
Sounds good, and if I can ride up with someone

So how about it. Any 914 owners out there coming to Targa-Aid Classic 2005 and have room for a passenger? Show off that 914 and make a new friend.

I think AZ914 said he might be going. I don't think I can make it, too many projects going on.
AZ914
Ya, I should be going.. however, I'll be up the night before so can't tow a passenger. Sorry!
AZ914
FMD... I am absolutely no help with the autocross issues / PCA rules, etc. If you just want some general 914 info, let me know!

Welcome to the addiction... driving.gif
Joe Bob
Best to start with a low powered stock 914 and learn to drive it....typically overpowered high HP cars get their asses whupped by well driven small bore engines on a tight course....pisses them off to no end.

Welcome to the club....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.