Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rough running
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
brooks944
Stopped to get gas last weekend and for whatever reason none of the pumps worked so drove home. when I started it today and went to get gas it was running really rough like on 3 cylinders. When it got to the station I saw that I left the cap off last weekend. Back on now but the car is still running rough. Would leaving the gas cap off do this?

Thanks,
Rick
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(brooks944 @ Apr 4 2015, 02:09 PM) *

Stopped to get gas last weekend and for whatever reason none of the pumps worked so drove home. when I started it today and went to get gas it was running really rough like on 3 cylinders. When it got to the station I saw that I left the cap off last weekend. Back on now but the car is still running rough. Would leaving the gas cap off do this?

Thanks,
Rick

I wouldn't think so. Maybe being so low on fuel, you picked up some crap in the fuel and plugged an injector. Maybe anything else and not fuel related. Run some clean fuel and see it it clears up
brooks944
Thanks Mark, that's my plan. Anyone else have any ideas?
DRPHIL914
I very had this a few times . It it clears up after running some clean gas and injector cleaner then probably what your first suggestion was. A clogged filter, injector could do this or could be a fouled plug or loos wire.pull the plugs and check them, if you have not for a while. I've had a similar thing recently but it comes and goes and I believe it's an injector that sticks so I'm putting in a new set that were just flow tested just to eliminate that as a possibility.
brooks944
Thanks, I'll pull the plugs and check them tomorrow.
brooks944
Pulled and checked the plugs today. All four were very black and a on a couple you could smell gas, obviously rich, correct? Plan to get new plugs next weekend although these probably have less than 500 miles (but a bunch of idling to keep it charged). Is that normal for the plugs to need changing that fast? What about being that rich? The car is a 1.8 with FI.
Thanks,
Rick
DRPHIL914
i would say yes running too rich, but you should be able to clean them and re-gap and use them . they should still be good.
forgot to ask, is this an (L or D-jet?)?
brooks944
It's a 75 1.8 with a 2056, so L Jet. Thanks look forward to recommendations.

Rick
SirAndy
Did you check or fill the oil when you were at the gas station? If so, make sure the oil filler cap is on tight.
idea.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.