Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Spacers, Bolt on vs long studs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Andyrew
So... Lets pretend I have 300hp.

Lets also pretend I have upwards of 255 tire...

Is there anything wrong with running bolt on spacers??

I want to run at least a 1in if not 1.5in spacers on the front and back of my car...

If I went with bolt on spacers, It would be much cheaper and much easyer...

I havent really found any through stud spacers of more than 1in on ebay....

Anyone have any oppinions??
neo914-6
Andrew,

You can stack the spacer on long studs, HPH or EASY may have them.

Bill P. ran 1.1" and 1.7" H&R spacers on his 6 cyl track car with 15x7's.

I will run 3" in the rear with 295 tires... biggrin.gif

There are two camps, people who run them and people who don't or won't. Take your pick...
Andyrew
Sooo, your saying I can run bolt on spacers safely???

I know the proper way is to go with long studs, but im trying to find out if buying bolt on spacers will be ok, or if its like putting adapters on...
TimT
Bolt on spacers generally wont pass tech. For street use they should be just fine
machina
I know that many 993's came from the factory with 1" bolt on spacers to fit some of the 17" wheels. I was suprised by it but if the factory is using them, you know they have been thru several levels of testing (and legal liability considierations)

I would go with the high quality spacers like the H&R which are TUV rated.

They do add extra unsprung weight but they are a good solution for filling out wheel arches and increasing track.
iamchappy
I cant believe that bolt on spacers are less expensive than longer studs, The nice thing with the studs is the option to use any offset rim or size spacer thats needed.
The studs are more work though.
Root_Werks
I have heard the stud thru's are stronger (hub centric), but have also seen quite a few people use the bolt on spacers. They seem fine to me, even using them on light track days (Weekend warriors). cool.gif
iiibdsiil
When I am driving my 914, a lot of times it is like I am at the track. Hard turns, yada yada yada. I have bolt on spacers, never had a problem, not even a concern.
Joe Bob
It's your car...but bolt on spacers are "typically" the cheap ass way to do the job. "Most" bolt on spacers are used to change bolt patterns....the 5x130 to 5x130 Porsche spacers that are bolted on "tend" to be higher quality.....the four lug VW/914 to five lug one are good way to die....

I prefer to do the job right and not have to unbolt ten freaking studs to get to the brakes.....longer studs with SLIP on spacers is the proper way to do it in my opinion.....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.