Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My car wants to go dancin'
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
KELTY360
Rotors, pads, shocks all around. A long procrastinated project finally came together. Greenie and Rhodyguy came over today and we thrashed on my car all afternoon. At the end of the day I had new Bilstein strut inserts and rear shocks, new hubs/rotors and Porterfield pads. Best of all...a nice firm pedal! Even the parking brake works great. I'm sure the shocks and struts were original to the car and the pads had no meat left. Went for a test drive and it felt like a new car.

There is no way we'd have gotten it all done if I wasn't so skilled at staying out of the way. My hat's off to them. Thanks guys. smilie_pokal.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Mike Bellis
Your lower spring perches are upside down. The springs may pop off the perch if driven.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Apr 4 2015, 10:10 PM) *
Your lower spring perches are upside down.

agree.gif
rhodyguy
Gotta fix that Marc. dry.gif Let a few moths out of your wallet and buy some new 100# springs for the reassembly. sending pm.
KELTY360
Oh crap! Thanks.
r_towle
ha, yup, your you guyz had too many beers....

Flip the perches over.

Its quick to do.

rich
rhodyguy
only 1 beer, that would be curt, was consumed before i left. got a good look at marc's car when it was on the lift. superb chassis.
pete000
Maybe he wanted it in the rally height setting...Ha Ha !
Spoke
I thought that's how your raise the rear end when the springs sag. biggrin.gif
greenie
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Apr 4 2015, 08:10 PM) *

Your lower spring perches are upside down. The springs may pop off the perch if driven.

OOPS headbang.gif

I swear this was how they were mounted previously?
KELTY360
QUOTE(greenie @ Apr 5 2015, 09:28 AM) *

OOPS headbang.gif

Nope, previous perches were entirely different; no way to mount upside down. We just measured relative distance to bottom shock mount and set the perch land accordingly. Springs seemed to fit the pocket on the perch just fine.

Glad I posted the pics so some real experts could see. slap.gif
greenie
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Apr 5 2015, 07:50 AM) *

OOPS headbang.gif

Nope, previous perches were entirely different; no way to mount upside down. We just measured relative distance to bottom shock mount and set the perch land accordingly. Springs seemed to fit the pocket on the perch just fine.

You get what you pay for! sheeplove.gif
KELTY360
QUOTE(greenie @ Apr 5 2015, 09:52 AM) *

OOPS headbang.gif

No, you can't pay for The Greenie Effect....it has to be earned. shades.gif
greenie
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Apr 5 2015, 08:02 AM) *

OOPS headbang.gif

Time to borrow the spring compressor again!

Practice makes perfect! welcome.png

Buy me some more beer please! beer.gif
KELTY360
QUOTE(greenie @ Apr 5 2015, 10:08 AM) *

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Apr 5 2015, 08:02 AM) *

OOPS headbang.gif

Time to borrow the spring compressor again!

Practice makes perfect! welcome.png

Still some left from the last episode. beer3.gif
rhodyguy
marc, 100#ers are less than a c-note @ the bird. given the 'original' appearance of things on your car, my guess is the ones you have are the originals. pretty cheap to replace them when you fix the fuch up. just saying….
Bleyseng
I have some newish springs you can have just come and get em.
bandjoey
No need for the spring compressor. Just put the spring in place and jcack the trailing arm up into place. New looks good!
McMark
QUOTE(greenie @ Apr 5 2015, 10:08 AM) *

From the sound of things you meant to say:
Buy me ONE more beer please! beer.gif
KELTY360
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Apr 6 2015, 07:26 AM) *

I have some newish springs you can have just come and get em.

Thanks Geoff, I'll do that. Are you in town these days? Send me your address and phone # and we'll set it up.
r_towle
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Apr 6 2015, 10:36 AM) *

No need for the spring compressor. Just put the spring in place and jcack the trailing arm up into place. New looks good!

not sure what you are explaining, but they need to take apart the rear shocks to remove and flip over the lower perch.

This needs to be done with the unit out of the car.

Guys, I have done this with a tire and my fat ass on the stock springs.

With two guys it may be even easier...

Set shock on its base, on the ground.
Lay wheel over the top and push down....you only need to push it 100lbs... (spring rate) to get the tension released from the top nut.

Fix the perch.
Do the same process in reverse to get it back together....hardest part is lining up everything.

With 100lb springs, there is not really alot of tension getting it all together.

Rich
KELTY360
Great tip Rich. I think my ass is fat enough but my FLAPS loaned me the spring compressor so I'll release the spring that way.
sixnotfour
Well based on this picture yours are correct. Make sure the snap ring is seating in a machine groove. That appears in this picture...Kurt is never wrong..Click to view attachment
r_towle
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Apr 12 2015, 07:54 PM) *

Well based on this picture yours are correct. Make sure the snap ring is seating in a machine groove. That appears in this picture...Kurt is never wrong..Click to view attachment

No, his are wrong.

With the lower perch as he has it, there is nothing to ensure the spring stays centered on the perch.

Rich
sixnotfour
in this picture though it looks like the snap ring groove is up ??

tryin to give a glimmer of hope from my arm chair...not my thinking chair.. biggrin.gif

he should have bought Koni's aktion035.gif
KELTY360
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Apr 12 2015, 04:54 PM) *

Well based on this picture yours are correct. Make sure the snap ring is seating in a machine groove. That appears in this picture...Kurt is never wrong..

There is some dispute over his infallibility. bootyshake.gif He had it right on his car but apparently was trying to provide me with a teaching moment. The lesson: if his lips are moving, the truth is running hard in the other direction. slap.gif
Mike Bellis
Make sure your spring perch has the snap ring grove as well. If it does not, the clip will move; snap out of the grove. In my case, My shock perch is different than yours and has a collar to encapsulate the snap ring. I think mine are Koni, maybe.

With my old perches, I hit a bump on the freeway and the suspension collapsed all the way to the bottom.

This pic shows the grove AND the spring perch mounted upside down.

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.