Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rebuilt Engine oil change after start
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DavidSweden
I will be starting my engine after a rebuild. 2.0l GC D jet

Questions:
1) Do I need to fill the oil filter?
2) After breaking in the cam should I change the oil and filter or is the change done based on mileage?

Thanks
TheCabinetmaker
I change after cam break in, then after 50 miles drive time, then again at 500 mi.
Java2570
I would not fill the oil filter prior to starting - I've always read that it can create issues with how fast the engine builds pressure. Good luck with the start up!
stugray
Do not prefill the filter.

In fact: screw filter on loose, put drip pan under it.
Crank engine until filter begins to drip.
Tighten filter and crank until pressure builds.
DBCooper
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Apr 5 2015, 05:19 AM) *

I change after cam break in, then after 50 miles drive time, then again at 500 mi.

+1

DavidSweden
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Apr 5 2015, 04:19 AM) *

Thanks

Is that change oil and filter?
TheCabinetmaker
Yes
Geezer914
Correct me if I am wrong, but if you pre-fill the oil filter, the oil pressure would build up faster, which is what you want to happen. If the oil filter is empty, then the oil filter would have to fill up before the oil pressure would start to build up. I always pre-fill my oil filters when changing oil. confused24.gif
stugray
QUOTE(Geezer914 @ Apr 5 2015, 06:39 PM) *

Correct me if I am wrong, but if you pre-fill the oil filter, the oil pressure would build up faster, which is what you want to happen. If the oil filter is empty, then the oil filter would have to fill up before the oil pressure would start to build up. I always pre-fill my oil filters when changing oil. confused24.gif

The oil pump in these engines pulls oil from the sump and pushes it through the filter to the pressure regulator and then on to the cooler & engine internals.

If you take a system that has never been primed before and fill the filter first, then the pump (which starts out full of air) has to push the oil out of the filter using air before any oil makes it up from the sump to prime the pump.

If you start with an empty filter, the pump will prime quicker because it is pushing air with air, not pushing oil with air.

Now if you have a way of priming the pump before ever cranking the engine, then you are a master.

Never thought about it, but a vacuum bleed hand-pump could prime the pump if you could attach it to the filter bracket and pull the oil up through the pump....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.