Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT - Outsourced...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ClayPerrine
I just found out this morning that I have been outsourced. mad.gif

So...If anyone is looking for a very experienced Active Driectory person, Let me know.

seanery
that sucks dude!

I've heard of folks who have been outsourced going to work for the company that got the gig...any chances of that happening for you?
ArtechnikA
sucks. sorry to hear that.

i don't even know what Active Directory is, let alone know anyone who can use expertise at it, but i will keep my eyes open of course.
skline
Clay, you could do like I did, start being the company that does the outsource. I worked for MCI WorldCom as the outsourced IT and when I realized I was at the top of the ladder, I left and went out on my own. Now I have about 16 companies I do work for. It gives me a lot of free time. Its not that easy however to collect from all the clients, you need to stay on top of billing and everything else so it adds to the job. Ups and downs I guess with anything.
ClayPerrine
I can't go to work for the outsourcer. It's in Bangalore, India.

So I look for work here.

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

jr91472
I feel your pain. I got let go last May. Good news is that my 914 has never looked nor run better biggrin.gif

Keep your head up, you've got tons to offer. All will work out for the best in the end smilie_pokal.gif
djm914-6
Sorry to hear about that Clay. We just had a good size layoff here, I'm thankful I wasn't hit (again). I wish you the best. You're a smart cookie, I'm sure you'll land on your feet.
Steve Thacker
Hang in there Clay. Maybe do you own thing like Scott and go after some contacts and network yourself out.

As a side note this is the very reason we need an IT union in the US. If you think about it. We make things happen, if not for people like us, the US companies would be back in the stone age. They make millions everyday on the backs of our talents. We should get a bigger slice of the pie and a little respect. The US business model is all basackwards. The VPs and above just take us for granted. I say it is very UN-American just to pump up your bottom line to make the investors happy, then turn your backs on the people who made it possible via technology to do so.

Just my sorry ass opinion and nothing else.

The best of luck Clay. Go make it happen. clap.gif
azbill
I am underscoring Steve's comments. I think outsourcing will be the down fall of business in the America. Thank God I'm retired. Would not want to going through times like these. I wish that American corporations would get some love of country and loyalty towards the people that built the company. I'll get off my soap box. Hnag in there think out of the box. Good Luck
lapuwali
QUOTE (skline @ Feb 15 2005, 07:18 AM)
Clay, you could do like I did, start being the company that does the outsource. I worked for MCI WorldCom as the outsourced IT and when I realized I was at the top of the ladder, I left and went out on my own. Now I have about 16 companies I do work for. It gives me a lot of free time. Its not that easy however to collect from all the clients, you need to stay on top of billing and everything else so it adds to the job. Ups and downs I guess with anything.

I agree with this completely. Lots of esp. small companies that DON'T do computer stuff need some kind of IT, and they're understandably unwilling to start up an IT organization of their own. The outsourced-to-India stuff is mostly for big clients, not 10 person companies. So, start a firm to handle the small guys. They'll want someone local to help reassure them.

DougC
Clay, that does suck but I bet it'll wind up beig the best thing that ever happened.That's the way it usually goes. So, start that company up.. and hire me biggrin.gif , I could stand a change. Best of luck!

Doug C
Root_Werks
I feel for you Clay. Around my work, at one time, we had 25 contractors doing our job from India and another 4 working in cubes right next to us. Just a month ago, I left IT for the business end of things. So far, it has been a lot of hard work, but with the way things are going, I am happy to be out of IT. I was there for 10 years and the last 2-3 were just absolute hell.

As far as I am conerned, as soon as my wife and I get a few things settled, I will most likely bow out of the corp. BS and find a job that I can walk to work. Like a bank teller. biggrin.gif Did that right out of High School, that was a fun job. Playing with money! laugh.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE (lapuwali @ Feb 15 2005, 10:02 AM)

I agree with this completely. Lots of esp. small companies that DON'T do computer stuff need some kind of IT, and they're understandably unwilling to start up an IT organization of their own. The outsourced-to-India stuff is mostly for big clients, not 10 person companies. So, start a firm to handle the small guys. They'll want someone local to help reassure them.

That is actually kinda what I have been thinking for months. Start a company to provide IT services to Auto shops, parts houses, real estate offices, cleaners... all the small businesses out there that don't know anything about computers other than they need them.

But I don't have the capital to start a business. I just bought a house a year ago....

Gotta make the house payments.

What really sucks is that I was going to get my 914 on the road by April... But now it's on hold.

All the money HAS to go to the bills until I get a job.

dinomium
Just more proof that nobody will look out for ya but yer self! IT Blows! It is to the point that if this gig I am at right goes gunny sack, I am going back to swinging a hammer!

Good Luck, man. AD and smarts, you should be ok...
brant
dang.. clay..

hang in there
sorry about that
lapuwali
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Feb 15 2005, 08:45 AM)
QUOTE (lapuwali @ Feb 15 2005, 10:02 AM)

That is actually kinda what I have been thinking for months. Start a company to provide IT services to Auto shops, parts houses, real estate offices, cleaners... all the small businesses out there that don't know anything about computers other than they need them.

But I don't have the capital to start a business. I just bought a house a year ago....

Gotta make the house payments.

What really sucks is that I was going to get my 914 on the road by April... But now it's on hold.

All the money HAS to go to the bills until I get a job.

So do both. You've got time on your hands now, so just spend the modest sum required to incorporate and print up some business cards, and hunt for clients in between job interviews.
cha914
Sorry to hear that Clay ... best of luck finding something, I will put my feelers out for you, you do development or support or???

- Tony
MarkG
I work for HP, just a matter of time before we are outsourced to Red China (new country of choice - folks in India are asking for too much and India is outsourcing jobs outsourced to them to Russia!)......

Plan to use my severance package to paint the 914 and buy a Raby motor.....
ClayPerrine
QUOTE (cha914 @ Feb 15 2005, 11:33 AM)
Sorry to hear that Clay ... best of luck finding something, I will put my feelers out for you, you do development or support or???

- Tony

Network Admin.
I work with Microsoft Products, Primarily Active Directory. I have been doing phone support for 5 years. But now I want to go back to a network admin or Active directory architect job.

I also do Unix/Linux/Novell and network hardware.

larryp
I don't know what any of all that lingo means but I have a friend who runs Akimet. If they are someone who might be able to hook up with you shoot me a PM and lets get a resume over to him.
Andy
FWIW I've done IT consulting for the last decade and honestly I'm happy to be back working for a state university. Small business is an often untapped client base for IT people and not without reason - small businesses often have a much tighter bottom line and their owners are usually more accostomed to bartering and will try to do that with a bill. I have a litany of horror stories from bad clients so I won't go into too much detail but expect to walk away from a number of clients and expect to spend some time in civil court. It's not a bad way to make a living and can be very lucrative... But it isn't without it's pains.

bd1308
QUOTE (Steve Thacker @ Feb 15 2005, 09:40 AM)
We make things happen, if not for people like us, the US companies would be back in the stone age.

here in Bowling Green we ARE in the stone age!
tdgray
Clay... that sucks man. I lost my job last year. Best thing that ever happened to me smile.gif I love where I am now. Remember life is a constant evolution. This is just where you are now.

Oh and for all of you who think you need to unionize or pass laws to stop out sourcing think again. IT DON'T WORK.

Outsourcing Myths
rjw0514
Clay
I am awaiting approval for a couple of Helpdesk positions to be added, but it is in central florida if you are interested let me know. However we do have alot of locations throughout the united states for desk top support those positions come open every now and then. The plus is our support and business model would make it almost impossible to outsource our IT dept.

Let me know

Bob
cha914
Clay,

I just recently moved from being a network admin at a law firm to a university here in Austin...no not the BIG university... anyway, I really love the university environment, and I think its a great place for IT / Admin people, more flexability, less demands, and in my case actually more budget. So I would highly recomend checking out the local universities and/or school districts, they are often hurting for good people, and the positions don't lend themselves to outsourcing.

I will keep my feelers out for Admin positions around here and let you know if I come across any openings.

Good luck,

Tony
redshift
Damnit!

Best of luck, man, I hope you find something completely cushy, and overpaid, where you can be appreciated.

ClayPerrine
Thanks to everyone who responded. As I have said for years... "I was looking for a job when I found this one" .
Well, I am looking. I don't expect to be out of work long. But you never know.....

What sucks is that I didn't have time to get my pictures and e-mail archives off my machine before leaving. sad.gif

ClayPerrine
QUOTE (Paul Heery @ Feb 15 2005, 03:05 PM)
Clay,

A good AD guy can start at 130-160K in Manhattan. We know how much you love NYC. biggrin.gif

Yea.. but I have to move to NYC, and put up with the high cost of living there. Plus, my wife has a job here, and all of our family is here.

Thanks for the tip, but I will exhaust all of my leads here beofre I resort to moving to NYC or California.

(And not because of the location, but because Texas is home)

rhilgers
Just to make sure...

You DO know about dice.com?

-Rich Hilgersom
JB 914
Clay,

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

I use to work for a Japanese company. Until they decided to fill my job with a guy from Japan. used to work 70-80 hrs 7 days a week. 24hr facility and they called me anytime they wanted. That's when i said finger.gif corporate jobs.

I have been self employed for over 10 years in software and IT. If you decide to go self employed you just need a business license, file a dba locally and a bank account. you don't need to incorporate unless you plan on hiring full time employees.

Really what you need is CUSTOMERS. When you are self employed you don't need to make as much $$, cuz, you can write off alot of expenses (Car, home office, phones, gas, insurance....) so, you won't be paying as much in tax.

I focus on Doctors offices. It is unreal how backwards MD's are with Networking and PC's. Easily 15+ years behind most business. Target rich enviorment biggrin.gif

If you decide to go it on your own feel free to email or PM me. i'd be happy to pass on all the STUPID things i did over the last 10 years, so, you can learn from my mistakes.

Good Luck,

larryp
Sorry, that's Akamai Akamai, not Akamet

Same offer though.
Lou W
Clay, I agree with Joe Buckle, You just need customers. I've been self employed since the Areospace/Defense Industry crashed in 1990. I now work for a Mortgage Broker, yah I'm on call 7 days a week, Turn my cell phone on at 9:00 am and off at 9:00 pm, but I love it. I do get to schedule my time, and the pays not bad, You just need good work habits, and determination. I think small business is the way to go at this time. Countrywide is trying to get me to come on over, but I'm not so sure that a big Corporation is the answer. Look around, turn Lemons into lemon aid. you'll land on your feet. Good Luck

Lou smile.gif
Brando
QUOTE (larryp @ Feb 15 2005, 01:45 PM)
Sorry, that's Akamai Akamai, not Akamet

Same offer though.

Akamai is the devil.

#1 on my blocked hosts list smile.gif
Gint
Sorry Clay. Join the (outsource) club.

Shoot me your resume when you get it ready and I'll forward it on as an employee (if you want to of course). How far are ya from Plano? biggrin.gif
Carl
Sorry to hear about your job, Clay. It would be a lot easier to take if not for the mortgage, the bills and so on.

As an owner of a small business who's made use of an IT consultant to sort out our networking problems, the right person can be a godsend. I can't afford to add a person for that work, and I don't have time to develop that level of expertise myself, so a capable consultant is a great asset.
Dave_Darling
Sorry to hear that, Clay. I may be joining you soon in the ranks of being "between assignments"...

Anyone want a hot-shot vis-sim guy? biggrin.gif

--DD
(3 solid leads so far and counting...)
soloracer
I wish you both luck finding good jobs. I even found the perfect "demotivational" poster for you! (It's even got the Indian content - Taj Mahol) biggrin.gif
grantsfo
Anyone who has been to Shanghai or Southern China would realize most US corporations have sold out to the lowest bidder and are not interested in providing engineering and manufacturing jobs to US citizens. HP, Dell, IBM, Apple and most consumer electronics companies have sent most manufucaturing to China to have 18-22 year old girls, who make $75 a month, produce our laptops, iPods, stereo's, etc. Even the few manufacturing plants that are still located in the US are primarily run by Chinese companies. I have been in a unique position to visit most of the major manufacturing operations supporting high technology companies in China. I cant think of a single technology company that hasnt outsourced the majority of their manufacturing in China.

Customer service and IT support for most of these products is outsourced to India.

The thing that has always bothered me is that US government hasnt taken effective steps to assure corporations are incented to keep leading edge technology and manufacturing processes in the US. I have no problem with outsourcing, its how most corporations manage outsourcing that bothers me.

I also have wondered what would happen if the US and China were to get into a scuffle. Our economy is on Chinese life support. Our debt is financed by China an most of our successful hi tech corporations depend on manufacturing in that country.
lapuwali
No politics boys...

If you don't want to worry about your job getting moved overseas (or to someplace else cheaper, like moving Silicon Valley jobs to Iowa, which is happening), then get a job that requires a local presence. The purpose of business is to cut costs and increase margins to increase profits, so if your job COULD be supplied by a lower cost provider, you have to assume that eventually it WILL be. So, remove yourself from the loop, or watch the clock tick.

btw, I work at a big tech company with offices in India and California, doing a job that could easily be moved to India. I could be laid off any day. I don't worry about it, as the only thing I could do if it happens is get another job. Complaining about how "unfair" the system is won't change the system or save my job. I could become a bitter political activist, or just go with the flow and find something else to do. I'd rather not be bitter. I could be an Indian who's just as bitter complaining about how I make $20 a day to do the same work someone in a rich country once did for $200 a day.
jwalters
wink.gif There is still one institution in this country that will never-ever-EVER go anywhere--

Coffee industry--

Invest in a high or upscale coffee house, not necessarily a starbucks--personally I think thier coffee is not the best--but I have been to a great number of independant coffee houses and am quite impressed--

There is this one girl, who started one from a derelict gas station--serves only the best organic shade grown beans money can get--is a small operation--in a town of less than 15,000 populace-and she has customers actually going out of their way to visit her and get some real americanized joe--she has about 100 postcards from customers from around the world, some are cards saying how they have heard of her and hope to someday get to visit!!!!!!! That one is from Sri Lanka--!!!!

Point is--the industry that has lagged and has really pissed people off is our very own SERVICE industry--it is on a comeback--people now want quality instead of quantitiy--

Oh, and this girl owns only this one shop, in a town of less than 15K,, and brings home about 300K a year--

Speaking of which, I just picked up this neat book from books-a-million, it is called, " How to own your own Coffeehouse",,,,, idea.gif
wheelo
Dude - sorry to here the news! advise is good though, keep your chin-up, you will land on your feet. I was "Downsized" Nov '03 (yeah, right b4 holidays, classic) it sucks-for-sure. Just don't take-it personal, and move-on.... Get that teener on the road ! Better than therapy, and you can't say you don't have the time!
wink.gif
Brent
Good luck Clay, sorry to hear another professional is loosing a job to a 3rd world country.

Wheelo, I was downsized the same time, Nov 03. I spend time with my boys 3 and 7, while I struggled to even see them awake during the week while I was working. I am currently contracting and supporting the working wife. Life is alot different, but much sweeter family life. Companies don't seem to demand 16 hour work days from mothers.

I survived many layoffs, but assumed all the tasks of the departed with no leniancy from the brass. Work smarter not harder? Right.... Re-education. Currently receiving my undergraduate in 914 mechanics.

I agree with the China weekness. We are diverting high end electronics manufacturing to a communist country. Why develop nukes while they have us by the economic balls? (not political - Economics /GNP - Economics 101)

Just a little bitter, I would rather be working!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.